White Rhino - Coco - Mars II LED - Modified Lucas

mussh

lets see how this goes.

Hello,

im going to keep a journal of my white rhino. white rhino is a 80% indica 20% sativa hybrid. I will be using 75% coco / 25% perlite in a one gallon air pot for the first 5-6 weeks of veg. i will then transplant to a five gallon hempy bucket for the remainder of her life. i have also spiked my coco with worm castings.
i will be using a marsII 700 watt full spectrum led.
currently 18/6 lighting schedule.
i will be using a modified lucas formula for nutes.
i have fed she/it once using 600 ppm at 5.8 ph.

rhino pup 5/12/15
rhino_pup_-_Copy.jpg

and here she/it is on day 21
white_rhino_-_Copy.jpg

white2_-_Copy.jpg

she/it is 3 1/2 inches tall and has five nodes.
she/it has already started aggressive side branching.
my cat got in my room twice and gnawed on it both times. i call it pruning by natural selection.

im hoping she/it has the strong genetics i have been searching for. i have grown a few other strains before but, none of them have looked like this at this stage. if she/it turns out to be male, i will grow it out for the pollen.

any constructive criticism is welcomed.

sorry for the poor photos.

DAY 24

the pot felt light today, so I gave a full strength blast of nutes.
4_-_Copy1.jpg

1000 ppm maxigrow
200 ppm hydroguard
100 ppm cal/mag (maxigrow has cal/mag in it already, but since I already have some, I want to use it up.)
water ph'd to 5.8

it has grown two full inches in three days.
3_-_Copy2.jpg

2_-_Copy1.jpg

1_-_Copy1.jpg

sorry for the bad pictures. im holding my cell phone up to a pair of method7 glasses.

hope all is well in your world.

Looking good! I haven't tried airports yet, but they seem like a great alternative to smart pots. Do you get any coco running out the sides of the airport when you water?
GB80

hiya GB,

I usually use grodan in the airpot. this is the first time I used coco. before I transplanted to that pot, I filled it with coco and gave it a quick soak. a small amount of dry coco came out of the holes. as long as I take my time pouring in the water, it stays pretty clean. I took those pics right after I fed. there is minor residue. takes roughly a minute to make it perfectly clean. when it out grows its airpot I will move it to a hempy bucket.
6_-_Copy2.jpg

I do have 5 gallon airpots, but I really want to try the hempy bucket.
the results of the airpot are impressive so far and I am sure it would do fine in the larger, but if I did that I might as well use grodan. pretty much a zero chance of a mess.

thanks for stopping by.

DAY 28 from seed

on sunday the rhino was looking pretty bushy around its lower nodes. its side branching is very strong. I decided to grab four of the branches and try to clone. I cleaned up the lower nodes and wiped cloning gel on the parts of the plant I had just cut. you might notice the purple dye where the cuttings were taken. I do this because it helps the plant heal and sometimes the branches mutate and become much larger than if left alone. im hoping the latter happens.

on Monday the airpot felt very light. I also noticed that its root system was at the top of the coco. it was ready to transplant. I opened the airpot and sure enough, it held the shape perfectly. it makes everything so much easier. I dropped it in its five gallon hempy bucket and gave it a small taste of water ph'd to 5.8. with that going so smoothly, I eye balled my bag seed blue dream that I planted 12 days earlier. I decided that I would transplant it to a five gallon hempy also. wow what a mistake. it was a mess. the root system was only at the bottom of the pot. I was basically holding the root system in my hand. I was able to get it in the bucket and standing, but all I can say is, it was very UGLY and im not proud of the way I handled it.

I noticed a small amount of nute burn after the 1300 ppm feeding last week. it was just a tad to hot. no biggie. I fed again today and lowered my ppm to 1100.
maxigrow 800 ppm
silica blast 200 ppm
cal/mag 100 ppm

ok here are some pics.

in its new and final home.
8_-_Copy1.jpg

eight and a half inches tall. lower nodes removed.
9_-_Copy1.jpg

four healthy younglings.
10_-_Copy.jpg

and finally, my poor blue dream. its gonna get some tlc, I feel bad for it.
11_-_Copy.jpg

im hoping the blue dream is male. I want to cross it with the white rhino and make my own genetics. I would call it the white and blue. see where this is going? I would then find a red strain and cross it. haha I want to make a strain called the red white and blue.

anyways hope all is well in your worlds.

Those are healthy looking plants mate, subscribed for the show.

welcome sir roach.
hopefully the show is worthy of the sub!

thanks for stopping by.

I had such good results with my clones, I had to share.
I made a fogging cloner and it worked well. after two weeks I would have a healthy clone. I tried a new technique this time. I took an empty 20 oz Gatorade and cut the top off just above the the top of the label. about an inch from the bottom, I made a 1/4 inch hole.
I filled the cup with hydroton up to the hole and filled the rest with grodan. a mini hempy bucket. this is what the final product looks like.

14_-_Copy.jpg

I set that in a humidity dome and watered with a very mild amount of nutes. roughly 500pp @ 5.8 ph.
I checked them the following day, to make sure they were alive and they were. im my fogger I would basically leave it alone for two weeks, because that was how long it took with the strain I had. I was going to check the clones tomorrow but the humidity in there is so thick, I cant even see them. I opened it up and was shocked. I saw way to much yellowing. something is not right. it isn't heat. the nutes were only 500 ppm. could it be roots already? five and a half days later?

13_-_Copy.jpg

yes, it was roots.

my main rhino is getting very bushy. side branching is reaching up to become part of the top canopy. I think I will set it to 12/12 on Tuesday. I need to see what it does in flower. if it is a male, I will collect the pollen. this is a keeper strain. grows very easily with tight nodes. ill get more shots of it on tues.

hope all is well with you all.

So you made a fogger cloning unit? that is sweet!!!
some pics would be cool, reps+

I made a fogger. but honestly, the mini hempy cups I made work better. maybe it is the strain, but I got solid tap roots at five and a half days. if you look at my thai grow you will see the fogger I made.

the clone I show in that picture is 20 days old, not nine.

I made a fogger. but honestly, the mini hempy cups I made work better. maybe it is the strain, but I got solid taps roots at five and a half days. if you look at my thai grow you will see the fogger I made.

the clone I show in that picture is 20 days old, not nine.
I usually get roots by day 5-6 too. By day 10 they are ready to be transplanted; I saw pics od a rooted clone but not of the unit itself. Very nice job with that thai!!

ok mr. sir roach, I have dug up my fogger and took a pic.

the small device at the bottom of the three gallon bucket is called a fog machine atomizer.
I made a small hole three inches from the top, on the side, to allow the atomizers cord entrance.
the lid I cut two, three inch circles. I couldn't find the baskets, but you saw how I did those in the thai journal.
the bucket is to be filled to an inch or so above the atomizer with your nute solution.
plug it in, sit back and relax as they grow.

15_-_Copy.jpg

I decided to try the mini hempy cups because im sick of plugging stuff in and having to baby sit buckets of water.
once I went coco, I haven't looked back at a dwc bucket since.

once again, thanks for stopping by!

That looks a lot like a set up I had! But I used an air stone and air pump, never thought of making a cloner with the bucktets!

ok mr. sir roach, I have dug up my fogger and took a pic.

the small device at the bottom of the three gallon bucket is called a fog machine atomizer.
I made a small hole three inches from the top, on the side, to allow the atomizers cord entrance.
the lid I cut two, three inch circles. I couldn't find the baskets, but you saw how I did those in the thai journal.
the bucket is to be filled to an inch or so above the atomizer with your nute solution.
plug it in, sit back and relax as they grow.

15_-_Copy.jpg

I decided to try the mini hempy cups because im sick of plugging stuff in and having to baby sit buckets of water.
once I went coco, I haven't looked back at a dwc bucket since.

once again, thanks for stopping by!
Why baby sit the buckets?

That looks a lot like a set up I had! But I used an air stone and air pump, never thought of making a cloner with the bucktets!

I had so many dwc buckets laying around, I had to make something useful. I turned two of my five gallon dwc buckets into the hempy buckets im using now.

I seemed to be spending a lot of time trying to mange buckets of water and it was a pita. I was a noob and I went hydro from the start. I made a lot of mistakes. I bought a lot of crap I didn't need. I tried a lot of different dwc methods. never to any real success. then I bought some coco after someone suggested I try.
it has simplified my grows and has made a huge difference in my results. just plain better results.
no more baby sitting buckets. feed once a week. check it on day four and see if the pot is light. if it is, water it with 5.8 and don't do anything until the next feeding. easy peasy.

I had so many dwc buckets laying around, I had to make something useful. I turned two of my five gallon dwc buckets into the hempy buckets im using now.

5 gal buckets have so many applications! I had 12 left; I used 5 to make worm bins for compost (I ended up throwing those), another 2 were used to make a small trommel , 2 for the silencer in the flowering room exhaust, 1 for the aerated tea brewer, and all the others for carrying substrate or using in the garden. The DWC buckets where not a waste after all, good to see yet another application for them.

I love growing with coco! I hated dwc... constantly checking ph, ppm levels, watching temps.... I killed my first 4 plants I did dwc with, and got so fed up with all the issues I chopped the other 4 down and sold my set up. Went coco and never looked back! Having said that, I do want to try another DWC when my tents are empty again... Call me crazy!
GB80

I love growing with coco! I hated dwc... constantly checking ph, ppm levels, watching temps.... I killed my first 4 plants I did dwc with, and got so fed up with all the issues I chopped the other 4 down and sold my set up. Went coco and never looked back! Having said that, I do want to try another DWC when my tents are empty again... Call me crazy!
GB80
YOU'RE CRAZY

hahaha I hear ya man. I would check my ph level, come back 20 minutes later and its off, by a lot. drove me ape. I lost plants also.
but none since coco. I have also simplified my nutes. easy peasy.

Back
Top Bottom