First Time - Indoors With Natural Sun - On A Budget

psifos

For those wondering if you can grow a plant with very little investment, largely using what you already have around your house, I'd like to share me experience thus far!

Here is the journal for my first time grow - one from bag seed and on a budget.

1.5 Gallon Ceramic Pot, replanted into borrowed 5 gallon pot after 4 weeks of veg.
During first few weeks of veg, used two CFL lamps for solid 18/6 after sunset. All natural sun now ~15 hours of light, 10 direct sun hours.
2 $7 bags of moisture control Miracle Grow potting mix
All purpose miracle grow fertilizer
1 Package of plant food spikes
Strain - Alien OG (bag seed)

Total Cost - $35

Fortunately for me, I have a couple things in my favor to help minimize the cost, and maximize the yield. I live in a high rise with giant windows that can be opened in the east AND west, so I didn't need to invest in any lighting equipment as it gets PLENTY of pure, unfiltered light. There's also a roof that sees no action, so during the first few weeks of veg I took it up there during the noon hours. Also, I took two CFL bulbs (1600 lumens total) from my bathroom, put them into desk lamps to give it 18 hours of light.

I have one tiny humidifier, so during the afternoon hours when it is HOT (been in the 80s to high 90s during veg) I just put it in the pot, increasing the local humidity.

So here it goes, started with a seed, put it into some basic Miracle Grow soil into a 1.5 gallon pot I had laying around. As you can see below, I waited a bit too long to transplant.

0531152122.jpg

But, after bathing in some east sun for a few days while I went camping, it started growing big healthy leaves.

0607151500b.jpg

As you can see, I used just a paperclip to hold up the plant. Not thinking, the metal actually burnt the plant where it was holding it. But, I think it actually has helped it now that it is older, as the bottom of the stem looks like a tree trunk - recovering from the damage. 10 days from seed at this point

0609151154a.jpg

Further, my stoner cat decided to eat the leaves off of one side. But, the plant kept growing like a champ.

0619150735.jpg

I used a pen and a zip tie (ended up damaging the pholem, but again strengthened the stalk) to hold it while on the roof, there's usually pretty good winds that would have likely toppled her.

0619151514.jpg

Gave her a trim of some of the under leaves that weren't growing into stalks, and some of the big fan leaves that was shading the whole plant - it grew tremendously in response.

3 weeks from seed

0625150913.jpg

Here's some close-ups of the pre-flowers. AS I only have one shot, I'm obviously anxious to find out her sex! While I know this isn't definitive, a vast majority of her stipules are crossed as you can see, lending me to think she's a girl.

0625150951.jpg

0625150945.jpg

1 week later....

0628151622.jpg

Another trim, I really want the bottom stalks to grow out, and then up after it's out of the shade.

0629151247.jpg

This thing was getting huge!!! And seeing the success I've had, I decided to maximize its yield potential and replanted it into a 5 gallon pot. As you can see, it was incredibly root bound, swallowing the volcanic rocks I had below the soil for drain.

0629151251.jpg

0629151318.jpg

Those are just barbecue skewers - forcing the stalks to grow radially from the stem, maximizing its sun exposure. I get amazing sunsets, and she looks great in silhouette.

0630152048.jpg

2 days after transplant - wow!

0630151534a.jpg

To today's trim, the big fan leaves at the top were limiting the growth of the colas at the same nodes, so I removed 4 of them.

0702151528.jpg

0702151527.jpg

And, a pre-flower on on of the branches. I say it's looking like a girl!

0701151408a.jpg

Thanks for reading, and I'll be sure to keep it updated, especially as we move into the flower stage. Its in 5th week of veg from seed, I'm going to wait until July 15 or so and see how big she is, maybe flipping to 12/12 then or waiting a few more weeks. Gotta keep this thing to 4 feet tall, 5 feet wide or so at the most.

:Namaste: Happy Growing!:cheer:

Subbed for this one. Wish I could grow in my window!!! :) ;)

Hey Everyone!

Thought I'd come by to give a quick update...this thing has really taken off since replanting in the bigger pot. Though we've had quite a few rainy afternoons, she is loving her new home!

0706151137.jpg

0707151149a.jpg

As you can see, the bottom branches are now basically the same height (length from the stem) as the main stem. For those curious, the plant is 22" tall from the soil, and the longest colas are nearly 14" from the stem. The colas are developing nicely, as they continue in their bifurcated ways.

0707151156.jpg

One week since transplant - what a difference.

0629151247.jpg

Before (above) After (below)
0706151137.jpg

It's now getting about 14 hours of sun, 10 direct. Will give it another week, and depending on how big she is I might have to give her an early bedtime :)

:Namaste:Happy Growing!:volcano-smiley:

Hope all is well in your world.

Is this grow still alive?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read our Photo Gallery Tutorial.

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Hey everyone, I know this thread is abandoned, but thought I'd give an update. So sorry about the delay.

The Alien OG unfortunately died about a month after transplant. Rookie mistake - the pot was not well designed at all for drainage - and further was much too big for her. She eventually just stopped growing and leaves were dying. UPon autopsy, we found the roots were completely brown and rotten.

However, later that (last) winter we got another clone and decided to try again - investing slightly more money (still only around $150) to make sure it was done right - and we have had some fantastic results so far! Here's a link to the thread if anyone is still interested.

High-Rise Low Budget - Indoor Sun/Lights Grow & Reveg - Storm Trooper

Back
Top Bottom