KBLS First Ever Indoor Grow Feat - White Widow & Purple Bud In A ScrOG 140W LED

KBLS

Hello everybody!

I'm very excited to be starting my first ever grow!

I'm actually starting this journal before I 've even planted the seeds, I'm still in the middle of setting up my grow tent and I would like to get some helpful insight from more experienced growers than myself.

So, I'm going to be using White Widow and Purple Bud seeds from Sensi, they should be arriving in the next couple of days. Obviously it's going to be an indoor grow in a 0.76m x 0.76m x 1.8m (or 2.5ft x 2.5ft x 6 feet) and I'm going to be using a 140 (real) Watt LED Panel which is arriving by the end of the week.
I'm going to use soil in 11L pots (23gal) and already bought Micro - Grow - Bloom from Advanced Nutrients.

Here's a picture of my grow tent as it is now
IMG_91602.JPG

IMG_91621.JPG

Unfortunately there is no other hole for air intake at the bottom of the tent apart from those meshy square holes, so I'm passively guiding cool air with the flexible ducting as seen.

I've done my homework so far and I decided to do a ScrOG, apparently it's the best way for a limited space.

I do have a couple of questions before I begin:
a)How many plants would you recommend for that space concidering the fact that I want to taste both strains? I was thinking 2 pots would be fine.
b)Why do I need to transplant the seedlings from a smaller pot to my bigger one? I was thinking of planting the seeds straight to the big pots. Would you recommend otherwise?
c)I'm considering adding a 250W HPS during the flowering stage to maximise yield if I can fit it into that small tent, although the LED manufacturer states that his 140W LED Panel equals a 400W HPS lamp. Is there a chance for a light burn even if I can manage the temperature? I live in southern Europe and during the summer I constantly have the A/C on in my house, so without any lights I measured 22-23 degrees Celsius (71-73 F) and 40% Humidity.

I can't wait to start, I hope it's going to be a nice ride!

Thank you and pardon my English :cheer::cheer::thanks::thanks::love::love:

re: KBLS First Ever Indoor Grow Feat. White Widow & Purple Bud In A ScrOG 140W LED

Hi KBLS
A - Yes two plants would be a good number if you want to try both strains. They may well grow at different rates to different sizes, but that can be dealt with.
B. - it is not absolutely essential to go through the process of transplanting through the different pot sizes as the plants grow. Here are some reasons to- The roots form a better distribution when grown this way and end up filling the soil more efficiently.
There's less risk of overwatering and you can water the plants properly. Plants benefit from having a bit of run off out the bottom of the pot to rinse out excess nutrient salts. In a large pot with a small plant in it, you cannot water normally but have to carefully try to keep the soil moist evenly which is difficult.
However, many people do jump straight to the largest size. You can do this if you are careful, but OVER WATERING is your biggest concern. Cannabis plants need a wet to dry cycle to thrive. That means ideally the pot should be soaked to have some runoff, and then be able to use that water up within the next 4-7 days and be dry and in need of watering again.
There is more I can say about this but I'm in a big hurry atm so I hope this is legible and I'll get back to you about it!
C. - I think as long as you can maintain the correct distance between plants and lights, and control the temps- the lighting will be fine.

Ok I'll pull up a chair. Yea, I'm a newb also. I'm doing a scrog in a 36" X 18" X 72" cabinet. Using a waterfarm and 96X3 Mars LED reflector. I have a 4" 180CFM blower exiting an unused dryer vent. I also have 2-4" passive intakes at the bottom of my cabinet. Will be using Nova Bloom nutes from start to finish. I just germinated and place my seed with 3/8" tap root in the waterfarm yesterday. This morning nothing green yet, getting impatient... KB where are you discharging your blower? Looks open on the end. I'm just freakin' blown away with the plant knowledge these guys have on this forum. I'm researching all the different areas and completely lost in the plant jargon these guys are throwing out. I have a lot to learn. Good luck!

Ok time for a small update from my end.

White widow seed on the left has germinated after 24h, Purple Bud still not doing anything after almost 72h.
Sprouts12.jpg

I have been experimenting with my ventilation setup, but it seems I will be struggling to keep my temperature low if I'm going to use both LED and MH/HPS. I have a 120mm PC Fan blowing air through the cooltube and I have a 120mm PC fan pushing cold air into the tent. I also have a small ventilator blowing from the bottom to the top to push the hot air to the top. Ambient temperature is 24 degrees Celsius (75F) and in the tent it's like 29 degrees (85F) and that's without the LED which is arriving on Monday. I will keep experimenting with different setups until I install the LED Panel on Monday, but I sure could use any advice on lowering the temperature.

Tent76.jpg

Ok I'll pull up a chair. Yea, I'm a newb also. I'm doing a scrog in a 36" X 18" X 72" cabinet. Using a waterfarm and 96X3 Mars LED reflector. I have a 4" 180CFM blower exiting an unused dryer vent. I also have 2-4" passive intakes at the bottom of my cabinet. Will be using Nova Bloom nutes from start to finish. I just germinated and place my seed with 3/8" tap root in the waterfarm yesterday. This morning nothing green yet, getting impatient... KB where are you discharging your blower? Looks open on the end. I'm just freakin' blown away with the plant knowledge these guys have on this forum. I'm researching all the different areas and completely lost in the plant jargon these guys are throwing out. I have a lot to learn. Good luck!

Hey tucker,
thanks for your interest. Are you doing a journal as well? As I've written, I'm still experimenting with my ventilation setup, trying to lower my temperature as much as possible cause I'm gonna be using both LED and HID lights in such a small tent.

No journal KB. This is my first grow and I probably screw something up. So you can't vent outdoors? That or AC would be the only way to control temps IMHO. Why are using the HID in addition to the LED. Just don't trust the claims they make with LED's?

No journal KB. This is my first grow and I probably screw something up. So you can't vent outdoors? That or AC would be the only way to control temps IMHO. Why are using the HID in addition to the LED. Just don't trust the claims they make with LED's?

Outdoors its 35 degrees at the moment, I live in southern Europe so its freakin hot outside. My apartment has an A/C that's why the ambient temp is at 24. I sure trust the LED, I just want to maximize yield. It's my first grow too, I hope everything will go as planned.

DAY 6 From Seed

I have decided to go for 4 plants. 2 White Widow and 2 Purple Bud. Since it's my first grow it's possible that I will kill a plant so it's better to have more.

I can see the cotyledons from the Purple Bud, still waiting for the others to break the soil. MH from seedlings is at 110 cm (3.5 feet) distance. Is there a chance for stretching?

CloseUp59.jpg

CotyledonPB.jpg

I have put a humidifier in the tent so the RH is constantly at 37%. I know it's not ideal but I hope it's not too low.
I have also installed a bigger inline axial fan for the cooltube and finally I have managed to lower the temperature to 27-28 degrees C (80-82 F). I just hope the LED Panel which is arriving tomorrow will raise the temperature slightly.

Overview35.jpg

:cheer::cheer:

Re: KBLS First Ever Indoor Grow White Widow & Purple Bud In A ScrOG 140W LED+250W HID

DAY 8 from Seed

Ok, I have installed the LED Panel too. I have the lights on 24/24 and I'm gonna keep rotating the pots so that each plant gets the same amount of light from both lights.
15374.jpg

I have managed to keep temperature at 27 degrees celsius (80F) and RH at 47%.
I noticed that the seedlings are getting a bit lanky, so I lowered the lights and the distance is 22cm at the moment (8.5 inches). Do you guys they 're stretching? They 're about 4cm long (1.5 inch)
51073.jpg

31750.jpg

Why are the leaves from the cotyledons curling up? Is it a sign of heat stress?
I've put my hand under the MH light and it's not that hot.

:thanks:

I consider them for sure stretching when they get about 4"'tall without much leaf growth yet. The floor fans keep that stem strong if it does stretch, or if necessary you can bury it deeper next transplant. But yours is doing fine.
Not sure if you're getting your venting sorted yet. I don't bother with a fan blowing air in. The one attached to your carbon filter looks strong enough to suck air through a passive vent. Computer fans I use for things like a drying box or some people use them for micro grow spaces but I think they are too small to do much more than that. :thumb:

I might have missed it, probably, but I don't see where you mention the mh light and what size it is. It sounds a little close, but keep an eye on it, or if in doubt raise it a bit for now. You won't hurt anything if it causes a little plant stretch. Testing the warmth with your hand is a good idea. Those little seedlings don't need much light though so probably my vague ramblings add up to - ummmmm....raise it a few inches to be safe and adjust it more later.

Re: KBLS First Ever Indoor Grow White Widow & Purple Bud In A ScrOG 140W LED+250W HID

DAY 10 from seed.

Plants are coming along nicely. There's the second set of true leaves growing and the White Widow that was a bit behind has finally broken soil. They are under 24/24 lights and rotated every 12h to get the best from both light systems. Watering every 3 days. I'm wondering when is the best time to start adding nutrients. Soil is Light Mix from Bio Bizz.
DAY1017.jpg

Purple Bud seedling has slightly curled leaves, I hope it's nothing serious
DAY10PB.jpg

White Widow
DAY10WW.jpg

Although there aren't many responses to this thread it helps me keep track of what I've been doing and it will be a future reference for the grows to come.

:thanks:

KB I think they look fine. As for nutes, I'm hydro and have been taught to start nutes after the 2nd set of leaves comes out. BUT you are soil which contains natural nutes. There's enough info here to research that. I am using a Marsh 3 X 96 LED and I have my light 24" from the plant.

Ok I'm quite disappointed that there aren't any replies to this.
I read on the internet that my issues could be due to magnesium deficiency so I got Sensi Cal-Mag by AN and foliar fed the plants but things are going south. I think it's getting worse and there's even a weird spot on one of the newer leaves. Here are some pics:

problem14.jpg

problem28.jpg

problem34.jpg

Any help, PLEASE?

:(

DAY 16 from seed

Since I'm not getting any help here I just keep doing my thing. I'm learning as much as I can online and that's how it's going to work.
Plants are constantly growing, Purple Buds at the front looking much healthier than the Wide Widows at the back.

DAY16_1.jpg

Although they look quite healthy, I'm still quite concerned about the leaf edges
day16pb2.jpg

DAY16pb1.jpg

day16pb3.jpg

White Widows aren't looking that great. On one of them the first set of leaves is full with rusty spots and there's some slight discoloration on one of the fan leaves and the other one is just too small (it has germinated a couple of days later).

DAY_16WW1.jpg

DAY16WW2.jpg

Today was the first time I gave them nutrients, Micro Grow and Bloom by AN half strength and I added B52 and Sensi Cal-Mag.

I'm quite curious how well they will respond.

Back
Top Bottom