CFL - 590 Watts/41,700 Lumens - 3 Gal - Hempy - Coco - Northern Lights Feminized

Grouchy

Hey everyone and welcome to this Grouchy Grow! :Namaste:
Well, this is my third grow. The first 2 grows were much less successful than i plan on this grow turning out but i learned a tremendous amount in those 2 grows. The first grow produced about 16 grams dry in a large Rubbermaid. The second grow just finished about 2 weeks ago and produced about 60 grams dry in a tall dresser. That 60 grams came from about 15,000 lumens of CFL which i have almost tripled this time around. The flowers that were produced in both grows was very dense, smoked well, and was overall hi-grade in my opinion. I was rather surprised with the power of these CFLs if used to their max potential (which I am not due to not using a reflector). Depending on how I yield in this grow, as far as watt/gram ratio, I may switch to LED or HID. LED is what I'm steering towards though either way. HID has too many issues including heat, space needed (height), and power consumption opposed to the alternatives (CFL, LED).
This grow so far has given me almost no problems. I will occasionally get a leaf on the lower half that turns yellow and ugly then dies. It is an isolated problem with that single leaf and doesn't spread. Just randomly happens and not too often. I keep the lights about 1 to 3 inches away from the plant canopy. I originally had a screen on to complete the ScrOG grow but did not like the fact that I did not have the ability to take the plants out and flush them once a week or two. I'm sure I could have figured out something but it is easier in my situation to take the plants out and let them sit on my sink edge so I can measure the drainoff's PPMs and PH with no mess.

If anyone has any comments, concerns, or complaints, please tell me. I like to learn and that is my goal/purpose for posting this grow journal, to expand my growing horizons.

Strain: Northern Lights Femenized
Problems/issues: temps are a little higher than optimal and has most likely caused slow growth
Veg time: 60 days
Day: Day 7 of Flower
Training Methods: combination of Topping, Fim, LST, Super-Cropping
Grow Space:
DIY grow tent (and an engineers brain)
Height: 4 feet
Width: 4 feet
Depth: 2 feet
Medium:
Gen Hydro's Coco brick
bottom 2 inches is medium chunky perlite
Pot size: 3 Gallon
Lights:
x12 - 23 watt, 5000k, 1650 lumens each = 276 watts / 19,800 lumens
x10 - 23 watt, 2700k, 1650 lumens each = 230 watts / 16,500 lumens
x2 - 42 watt, 2700k, 2700 lumens each = 84 watts / 5,400 lumens
590 watts, 41,700 lumens TOTAL

Temps:
lights off - 72 F
lights on - 82 F
Ventilation: 400 CFM Dirt Genius inline fan
Odor control: Phresh filter, 550 CFM
RH: 30% - 45%
Watering frequency: every 2-3 days
Nutrients: All General Hydroponics
Flora Series - FloraMicro Hardwater
FloraGro
FloraBloom
Flora Blend
Cal-Mag (supplement for FloraMicro Hardwater)
PH down (1 ml/gal)
PH level maintained: 6.0

I'll update when anything changes. No less than once a week.

I was just reading a magazine and something dawned on me. Because my temps are rather high, would co2 supplementation be a good consideration? I sleep in the same room that my grow tent is in. Would supplementing with co2 be hazardous to people in the amounts needed to be an effective growing tool for me?

Here's a little picture update. They're doing great! The flowers are starting to form. I pruned them a little 2 days ago. Just removed a few fan leaves that were blocking light from the nodes. I also cut off the lower bud sites that were not getting light. The potential popcorn buds I guess you can say. My last harvest was more popcorn than I wanted so I'm trying to minimize that as much as I can help it without a screen.

As I said before, I don't want a screen on because I couldn't figure a way to water them and catch the runoff so it doesn't make a mess. I like to take the plants out of the grow space and water them in the tub so it's clean and easy. THAT BEING SAID, I saw a scrog screen called the "ScrOGCO" and it has 4 steel dowels that you insert in the growing medium then the screen attaches on top. Really clever design that I will be using on my next grow. Anyway, I thought I'd ask to see if anyone has any experience with them.

image29072.jpg
image29071.jpg
image29070.jpg

your plants look great man.
im subbed.

my temperatures are similar to yours and I have only used co2 a couple times. I got my co2 from the dry ice that comes with Omaha steaks and from a diy I made out of Gatorade bottles. I seriously doubt it was enough to have any difference in flower size. my yields are perfect for me. since im not a seller, im a quality over quantity type of guy. so far, without using co2 I have been able to get some really high quality buds.

I like your set up and I like that you are a diy guy.
your lst work makes it seem like you have done this before.

:goodjob:

p.s. hempy ftw

your plants look great man.
im subbed.

my temperatures are similar to yours and I have only used co2 a couple times. I got my co2 from the dry ice that comes with Omaha steaks and from a diy I made out of Gatorade bottles. I seriously doubt it was enough to have any difference in flower size. my yields are perfect for me. since im not a seller, im a quality over quantity type of guy. so far, without using co2 I have been able to get some really high quality buds.

I like your set up and I like that you are a diy guy.
your lst work makes it seem like you have done this before.

:goodjob:

p.s. hempy ftw

Hey! Thanks mussh! and ill start off by saying... i don't know what an Omaha steak is but i want one...

I'm pretty curious about co2. I don't know too much about it (in regards to growing), but for my next grow, I might give it a try. I'd need to educate myself on the process though because I wouldn't know where to start. I did see at the grow shop that they have these small, thick, plastic bags (about a 1 gallon ziplock size) that have mycelium inside which is a stage of fungus growth. This fungus gives off 3 months worth of Co2 by releasing it through a one way valve patch constantly. If science serves me correctly right now... (I'm a little high from my last homegrown stash), Co2 is heavier than O2 and will sink to the bottom of the grow space. I think you have to place them above your plants by maybe suspending them with string or something. This would probably be the best route as they are about $20-$25 from a grow shop or online and lasts 3 months. I'm all about DIY but when the materials cost more than the intended product, you might as well cave and buy it.

My goal is to grow enough to support my "habit" (for lack of a better term) without having to buy any. I think with the setup i have now, I can achieve that goal... hopefully! :D hahaha

thanks for the compliment on the LST! I have tried my best to do my homework on all the various forms of plant manipulation through the years. I was in the Marines and while in Afghanistan, I walked through many... many fields of reefer and it was while i was deployed that i started reading about growing, though i could never partake in any part of marijuana because i was active military. But all the research and countless journals I've read through is starting to help me out a lot now that I'm progressing slowly but surely in the grow-game.

I'm a software engineer also so designing is where my passion is. That's why i love DIY so much. Not to mention it's usually more cost effective (given you've prepared accordingly).

ill be posting pictures in about 9 hours when lights turn on.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
here's a pic of the Co2 bag i was talking about... any thoughts on it?
image29377.jpg

I made my own co2 using a couple Gatorade bottles and clear tubing. half a teaspoon active yeast to one cup of sugar. add water and bam, your making co2. I ran the exhaust tube to a circulating fan and let it go. once again I never saw any difference in nug size, but it was a fun chemistry experiment, not to mention it is also a good start for a home brew.

i like the bag idea, but you are correct you would have to have it above your grow. I cant seem to wrap my head around a good way of doing that. bungi it to your light stand? see not a good idea hahahahaha.

welcome to your independence! you will never have to buy it again and there is nothing cooler than busting out your own smoke and treating your friends to something special.

:edit: oh yeah, google Omaha steaks and drool.
I like to treat my wife and myself every once in a while.

Your plants look great. Thanks for mentioning the ScrogCo thing, I've been hunting for something just like that, knew it had to be out there somewhere.

As far as CO2 goes I think it would be a wasted effort without a sealed environment, where you alternate the exhaust running and co2 supplementation to make it stay in the area. Good luck I think your plants are gonna be beasts.

I made my own co2 using a couple Gatorade bottles and clear tubing. half a teaspoon active yeast to one cup of sugar. add water and bam, your making co2. I ran the exhaust tube to a circulating fan and let it go. once again I never saw any difference in nug size, but it was a fun chemistry experiment, not to mention it is also a good start for a home brew.
That's some clever stuff right there :bravo: i wonder if anyone has has success with that DIY method. I'd like to think so..

oh yeah, google Omaha steaks and drool.
I like to treat my wife and myself every once in a while.
my god.... I want, no.. I need one...
I'm the same way. My wife and I don't eat steaks that often but when I do, I get the good stuff. Then I get the kids a less expensive cut. They never know the difference lol.

Your plants look great. Thanks for mentioning the ScrogCo thing, I've been hunting for something just like that, knew it had to be out there somewhere.

As far as CO2 goes I think it would be a wasted effort without a sealed environment, where you alternate the exhaust running and co2 supplementation to make it stay in the area. Good luck I think your plants are gonna be beasts.

yeah, man. that ScrogCo looked like a sweet idea. I can probably make my own using solid steel parts so it lasts as long as i need it.

That's a good call on the sealed environment. The fan exhaust fan would probably suck it all away before the plant has enough time to absorb it.
Maybe I'll buy 15 of them and turn my house into a Co2 chamber. One in each room :laugh:

Hey, I see you're using the P300. That looks like one I'm looking for. How do you like it?

If anyone else has any suggestions (from experience preferably) on LEDs under $600, I'd love to hear them. That would be my top dollar I'd pay for one.

I use a marsII 700w. I was looking for a led that wouldnt bust the bank.
for $600.00 you can get a really nice light.

my results are good. here is a top from my last pineapple chunk run.
5_-_Copy1.jpg

I use a marsII 700w. I was looking for a led that wouldn't bust the bank.
for $600.00 you can get a really nice light.

I've seen the mars II around a lot. I'll have to look into that one. Do you know what that would yield? or what kind of yield have you gotten from it?

I've seen the mars II around a lot. I'll have to look into that one. Do you know what that would yield? or what kind of yield have you gotten from it?

im sure you could probably get a lot more watts than 700 for $600.00 bucks.

yield is a hard subject to answer. first and foremost being how big a yielder your strain is. does it have huge yield genetics? how adept are you at getting a huge yield from a single plant? etc....etc...etc...
my pineapple chunk never had big yield genetics and it is the only strain I can say that I learned inside out. my last run i did with the chunk yielded about a half pound. that was from four plants that i lst'd and lollipopped. two month veg time. it was great smoke and kept me in smoke for almost six months.
i am now growing white rhino. the genetics are much different than the chunk. this plant will yield much more than the chunk. i am on my first run with it but i have already started a practice sog with it and it is doing wonderful. check my current grow and you will see what im doing with the rhino under my marsII. just remember that i have already messed this grow up once and im still looking at a great yield.

Hey everyone! Quick update! Last night she grew about .5"-1". They're going strong! Here's a couple pics of them as promised!

looks great man.

if you didn't already know gaumbomb80 is doing a scrogco grow.
Scrogco - 48x3 Reflector - 2x2 Tent

he is a really cool guy. he will answer questions you have about it.

looks great man.

if you didn't already know gaumbomb80 is doing a scrogco grow.
Scrogco - 48x3 Reflector - 2x2 Tent

he is a really cool guy. he will answer questions you have about it.

Thanks man! I was lurking on his post he other day. I was keeping an eye on it to see if it's worth it (Edit: I meant to see if the scrogco product was worth buying) and so far, it looks good. I'll have to ask him some questions about it for sure.
I appreciate it, mussh!

im sure you could probably get a lot more watts than 700 for $600.00 bucks.

yield is a hard subject to answer. first and foremost being how big a yielder your strain is. does it have huge yield genetics? how adept are you at getting a huge yield from a single plant? etc....etc...etc...
my pineapple chunk never had big yield genetics and it is the only strain I can say that I learned inside out. my last run i did with the chunk yielded about a half pound. that was from four plants that i lst'd and lollipopped. two month veg time. it was great smoke and kept me in smoke for almost six months.
i am now growing white rhino. the genetics are much different than the chunk. this plant will yield much more than the chunk. i am on my first run with it but i have already started a practice sog with it and it is doing wonderful. check my current grow and you will see what im doing with the rhino under my marsII. just remember that i have already messed this grow up once and im still looking at a great yield.

A half pound isn't bad at all! i don't think that would last me and my wife 6 months but by then, I'd have another grow done. Thanks for the insight, man. I thought about doing a SOG next time though. I was gonna grow one out and take about 12 clones then throw them each in 1 gallon Hempy pots with coco.

My goal is 200g for this grow. Considering i got 60 grams from 15,000 lumens of CFLs with a wispy, bagseed plant, I think my Nirvana Northern Lights (being a fairly large yielder) will meet my goal.

I'm looking at your grow now mussh. That latest flower picture... *drools* If you still get a big yield on the Rhino, that will prove the MarsII's worth, and possibly make me buy one lol im subbed!
:Namaste:

A half pound isn't bad at all! i don't think that would last me and my wife 6 months but by then, I'd have another grow done. Thanks for the insight, man. I thought about doing a SOG next time though. I was gonna grow one out and take about 12 clones then throw them each in 1 gallon Hempy pots with coco.

My goal is 200g for this grow. Considering i got 60 grams from 15,000 lumens of CFLs with a wispy, bagseed plant, I think my Nirvana Northern Lights (being a fairly large yielder) will meet my goal.

I'm looking at your grow now mussh. That latest flower picture... *drools* If you still get a big yield on the Rhino, that will prove the MarsII's worth, and possibly make me buy one lol im subbed!
:Namaste:

I finally got a strain that is sog worthy.
just a heads up. I found ten liter mop buckets at walmart for under $2.00. instant hempy bucket for super cheap.

thanks for the compliments on the grow.

hey grouchy,

I know another grower currently doing a hempy bucket lst'd scrog. he isn't using a scrogco, but he is definitely worth checking out.
dig his diy scrog set up. his name is jojo677 really cool guy.

JoJo's Hempy SCROG Bucket C99 Grow Journal - 2015

Back
Top Bottom