ScienceGrow's Sativa Dominant Outdoor Bag Seed Grow - 2015

ScienceGrow

My first grow.

Planted - May 26, 2015
Pot Size - 1 gallon first month, 4 gallon to present
Medium - Scott's Potting Soil to start, mixed with topsoil (2/2) when transplanted after 40 days.
Light - Sunlight, about 8 hours direct from Day 1 to present, with lots of rainy overcast days Day 1 - Day 30. Ambient for the duration of the sun being up.
Nutrients -.07/-.01/-.03 in the Scotts. I added 1/3 suggested dose of Osmocote For Edible Vegetables at 30 days, but removed about 70% after 10 days in fear of burn (good thing I did, it started burning.)
Strain(s) - Sativa dominant.
# of Plants - 1
Yield - I would count any amount as success.

20150726_111230_Richtone_HDR_-1.jpg

Single seed found in an otherwise amazing bag. Appears Sativa dominant in leaf and growth pattern. Seed was in the middle of a bud. Smoke on this bag was smooth and sweet, very slight skunk. Not too heavy, not quite cerebral.

As a beginner I made the mistake of using potting soil, Scott's. I'll not do this again, nute burn, but fixed that.

A rainy and overcast June may have stunted growth a bit. In July growth has accelerated considerably, and I've topped and trained it to grow horizontal. I attempted supercropping, with uncertain results.

I'm seeing pistils, so, female so far.
20150727_115403-1.jpg
20150727_115635-1.jpg

I think the white residue is from hard water or from rain. I've used no foliar spray. I try to keep my watering below the leaves, so not sure, just glad it's likely not mildew.
20150727_114924-1.jpg

I seem to be alright, I think. A long way to go, any advice?

I'm particularly concerned about the late flowering period. I'm expecting flowering to begin in September, possibly mid to late. I'm worried this won't be anywhere near enough time to complete flowering, with some strains going nearly 3 months. That's December. Seems bad, I'm lower north-east.

20150726_111220_Richtone_HDR_.jpg

20150726_111213_Richtone_HDR_.jpg
20150726_111138_Richtone_HDR_.jpg

I'll update this frequently with more and better photos.

Was thinking of applying a preventative systemic insecticide, Imidacloprid. However, I've been reading up and some are saying this may kill the insects that kill spider mites, which appear to be the most common pest. Imidacloprid does nothing to mites.

But spider mites sound like they're easier to manage than pests like root aphids, and root aphids appear to be extremely bad.

I'm not having any issues at the moment, but prevention may be better than having to fix a problem. Advice?

Initial plant(Alpha) still doing well. Fed it some of the Imidacloprid(Bayer Tree and Shrub) that was left in the cap after dosing a tree. Haven't touched it otherwise, except for moving some leaves and branches for better light exposure. Looking great!

Added another two plants to the grow. Both are from the same bagseed. These were given to me already in an organic soil with no additional amendments. Would be nice if these seeds are by random pollen, not from self pollination.

One plant(Beta) is being placed outside with my initial plant. I'm going with topping(previous owner already did this) and supercropping on this one. It's not as far along as my initial plant, much less vegetation, but after three days with me, after supercrop, I'm seeing a considerable increase in growth. I plan to attempt forcing flower on this when it's a little further along.

The second new plant(Gamma) is now inside. It's only a few inches tall, and the previous owner seems to have tried mainlining(nothing but third, topped node and two leaves below it) a bit too early perhaps. Not doing too well under 4 23W, 6500K CFLs(drooping). I've turned off three and have it on a 20/4 cycle till it comes back.

Pictures to come shortly.

Gamma, purpling stem and drooping top leaves.
20150731_113415.jpg

Soil pH was pretty high, 7, amended and runoff now at 6.

This plant was fine outdoors, symptoms began two days after being inside under 4 23W(100 equiv.) CFLS (6500K). Would the new lighting be a likely cause of the pH increase?

Looking good, ScienceGrow!

About Gamma--- How hot is the ambient temperature? Is there a fan moving air around the room? Maybe it's just a little shocked because the move indoors...

Can I ask where you are? Maybe just a lattitude. I have plants outside here at the 45th parallel in Oregon, and I am hoping to see some pistils here in a few days. This is my first time growing and I don't know when to expect them to start flowering.

Thanks!

Gamma ambient temp at the moment is about 74, I need to get a hydrometer, so unsure of humidity, though a dehumidifier is located nearby so not too humid, but not dry. I have a fan blowing and gently shaking the leaves.

Strangely, the two leaves below are not drooping, or at least not noticeably, and the stem purples after them. Not sure if this indicates anything.

I'm at the 40th, north Delaware. I saw pistils on mine almost a month ago, but apparently that can happen, pre-flowers show but flowering is still a long way off. I'm seeing pistils at most of the sites.

Hard to see hidden behind those spurs. You may have them and just can't see them. A magnifying glass may help. They really can be hard to see early on.

Good luck on yours. Got a journal going?

Well it sounds like the room is set up well. You just watered, could it be over watered?

I am pretty new to growing and have no other ideas why it may be drooping. I know purple stems can possibly mean nutrient deficiency...potassium, I think. Some strains purple naturally though, so I think it can be hard to tell if you are unfamiliar with a strain.

Yes, somewhat of a journal.

Outdoor Grow - Big Bud #2 - Blue Dream - Purple Bud

I actually just took some pics. This gives me a reason to update it.

My first thought when it started was overwatering, as the guy who gave me this one had been under watering so I watered when I got it. Saw the symptoms and today was the first feeding in four days. Just water, no nutrients. It's a decent organic soil mix, better than what my Alpha is in.

It seemed to perk up with the lights off, so switched my schedule hoping it was just stress from the new lighting, was encouraged by the perk up, but it went limp again after switching them back on. They aren't too close, or too far. I'm thinking it must be a nutrient issue, caused by alkaline pH, caused by too much light increasing N uptake. Hopefully the flush drops soil pH to healthy levels. I have a soil test kit that does pH and major nutrients, so will check those too.

Amazing how much better my outdoor plants are doing. Thanks nature, you're the best.

Alpha is doing pretty well. I can't claim much credit for that, as I've really just watered when needed, but the training has definitely given a lot of life to the lower branches. No disease so far, no spider mites, a few small bites out of the leaves but we're talking about 1% damage to the individual leaf. I think she's looking good, and she's all pistils.
DSC_14411.JPG

Beta - This plant was given to me a few days ago. Was probably a bit stunted, but thriving now. All the new growth pictured has happened in the last 3 days. From the same bagseed as Alpha. It's probably only 40 days old, and was receiving terrible light during that time. It is however planted in a much better soil than Alpha, so may end up overtaking her in the end.
DSC_1444.JPG

I deserve a kick to the head. Alpha was looking beautiful after a few days away. I was doing some training on the top two branches, when I trained a little far, and split the node. Growth is still quite green, not woody yet, so I think repair is possible. Taped her up and will hope for the best.

On the upside, Gamma looks to be recovering. Left one light on since friday, left it alone beyond that. She perked back up. But, I think I see signs of spider mites. I'll need to do a spray but I wiped the leaves down and cleared the few strands of webbing. Only four leaves so not so bad. Wiped the stem too. This plant's just a sad little wreck.

Beta is doing its thing. No sign of sex yet. Will probably need to veg inside starting soon, losing light fast.

New pictures in a couple days.

Ug! Yeah I did the same thing... you gotta train slow. Small bends will add up to a big bend eventually. I wrapped mine with hemp twine (ha) and it is thriving right now. But the hemp rope got too tight because the plant continued to grow. I think tape is a better idea.

Spider mites suck. Safers soap works I think. I have used Dr Bronners soap before and it seemed to work, I think the mix was 1tsp per gallon and you spray it on.

There are a few of these threads:
Spider mites

Good luck! Can't wait for new pics.

Used a neem based soap(Bonide Rose Rx 3 in 1), doused leaves top and bottom, stem, and pot, just as sun was setting, will continue for 1 -2 weeks, rinsing every couple days, or until they're gone.

I think I'll be fine. If not, I'll go get two more miticide agents. No worries.

Alpha and Beta still growing strong. Alpha isn't showing any ill effects from the break yet. Watered yesterday. Pictures tonight, including newly built stealth grow cabinet.

Despite the split node, Alpha is doing well and accelerating growth.

Split node.
DSC_14942.JPG

Doing well though.
DSC_14861.JPG
DSC_14871.JPG

Beta is doing fine,
DSC_14881.JPG

but will definitely be finishing inside with Gamma. Gamma is showing new growth. I'm not sure if I should trim those leaves off. They're pretty rough... Any advice?
DSC_15005.JPG

They will be living in some grow cabinets. I had three steel storage cabinets sitting empty, just fitted one and will do the others over time. I finished this for about $150 including ventilation, odor control, and lighting. Sealed tight aside from ventilation no light leaks and no smell.
DSC_15013.JPG

Gamma is on it's way, living in a comfy 78F at 65rH. I've been watching the therm/hygro for about 6 hours and it hasn't moved except when I opened the door. I think Gammas original problem may have been humidity, a major lack of it actually. My wife keeps the basement dehumidifier running 24/7 at Max. Extracts about 1 1/2 gallons of water from the air a day. When I got the hygrometer, I learned our rH in the basement is an impressive 26%. Not quite great for a seedling. Though come flowering time, such a low rH in the basement should be a big help.

Alpha and Beta are looking good. No new mite damage, though I found a single strand of web on Gammas pot. Not the plant, the pot itself. Treated all three plants with foliar neem soap.

Alpha's split node still seems okay, and I'm seeing swelling on both sides. I think I'll be keeping it taped for some time, possibly through flower depending on how things go. Electrical tape was a smart choice.

The leaves I'm talking about look pretty damaged, lots of brown throughout. I've left them alone for now, but will likely trim these off once the new growth is about the same size. Will get pics up before I do, to get your opinion.

Have a 300w(about 150W really) full spectrum LED coming tomorrow. I'll be adding this to the 4x 23W 6400s and 4x23W 2600s.

Will be finishing the ventilation off with a more efficient system. I'm excited about my design, and can't wait to show it off. Haven't seen anything like it yet, so maybe it will be useful to others, especially the DIY, low budget crowd.

Things are great. Pics this weekend of plant progress, and finished cabinet.

Okay, updates.

Alpha is still growing strong, lots of nice bud sites. I've been training her really low and spaced out, and it's been keeping growth fairly even. The top two are still the largest.
DSC_15033.JPG

DSC_15064.JPG

The split node healed okay, just not back together as I had hoped. I'll probably need to keep this taped up and staked later on.
DSC_15144.JPG

I think I may be getting close to early flowering, but I really don't know. Most photos show more activity, but I see a buildup of calyxes getting closer and closer. I also see a few single leaflets poking out here and there.
DSC_15105.JPG

I've moved Beta into the nearly completed grow cabinet. She's growing fine inside, still stunted compared to Alpha. On the right.
DSC_15304.JPG

DSC_15251.JPG

Gamma is alive and doing pretty well, considering the rough start.
DSC_15213.JPG

My grow cabinet is mostly complete. I've replaced the CFL's with a 300W LED lamp. I'm happy with the results so far; it's bright, it's got the right wavelengths for veg and flower, and the cabinet heat stays at a nice 75 at all times. I have a light meter that shows at least 2000 lumens. So, we'll see. I'm not yet sold on any particular type of lighting. Except the Sun. The Sun is awesome.
DSC_15323.JPG

My new odor control. Cheap carbon filters and lots of surface area.
DSC_15273.JPG

I have an addition I'll be making once the plants are all harvested. I'll be adding a false floor above the level of the intake vents. The false floor will have enough holes in it to keep the airflow at optimal, but will force the air to fill the cabinet more evenly, spreading across the bottom first, then moving up. Any water or condensation that forms will now drip into a pan below the false floor. Air travelling across the water should pick up a little humidity, and help me control that even more.

Back
Top Bottom