Icemud's LED Grow - The Tangie Pheno Hunt

DSC098551.JPG

Hey Everyone.....

Well its time that I try something a little bit new, so I introduce my Tangie Pheno hunt. I recieved a bunch of Tangie seeds from a buddy in norcal who grows. He wasn't sure what cross of tangie they were and thought that they were kosher tangie or tangilope but couldn't remember. I was happy to get some new genetics, especially Tangie which has won a lot of prestige in the cannabis world.

This is the first time I have ever grown from seed, so finding the correct phenotypes, and possibly even creating seeds is all new to me, and will be a fun grow to learn from :)

The plants currently are a little over 1 month old, about 1 month and 1 week, and I will be topping them 1x to create some branching, but otherwise will just be growing them out to pick the best of the best....

So Lets get started, shall we?!

Also, just to note, this is not a sponsored grow. I choose to use the Advanced LED XTE lights because out of all the lights I have they are the best. But since it is not a sponsored grow, you are free to ask any questions about any brands you like. (within 420's rules)

Here's the details:

What strain is it?
A mystery Tangie cross, most likely Kosher Tangie.

Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? What percentages?
These strains are all hybrids....

Is it in Veg or Flower stage?
The girls have been vegging for 1 month, 1 week under my Advanced LED EX-VEG 200's. All plants (except any males that show) will be cloned and labeled so that after harvest I can select the best phenos of what I have.

If in Veg... For how long?
They are my mothers so probably vegged from anywhere from 3 months to over 1 year.

If in Flower stage... For how long?
Not in flowering yet, but very soon.

Indoor or outdoor?
Indoors.

Grow Area Description and equipment
Each grow tent is a Hydrohut silver edition 2x4' tent. Actual measurements are larger and each tent measures approx 2.5'x5'x7'. Each tent is equipped with a large carbon filter, 6" fan on a manual variable speed controller. Intake air is sucked into the tent by the negative pressure and let in the lower portion of the tent on each side. Also the flowering tent is equipped with 2 circulation fans...one on an intake hose at ground level, and the other on the roof of the tent blowing downwards. Lights are daisy chained together and power is run through a digital timer. Lighting is done by 3x Advanced LED XTE 300 LED grow lights.

IMG_20150827_170133.jpg
IMG_20150827_170137.jpg

Size of light?
I will be using 3x Advanced LED XTE 300 LED grow lights. Each light has an actual draw of around 250W (+/- 5W) so the grows total draw is around 750W. Each light is rated for a total coverage of 3.5'x4' and optimal lighting in the size of 3'x3'.

XTE_300w_Back_Photo_69889_1410917474_1280_12801.jpg
ds-xte-300-infographic-update.jpg
spectrum-output1.png
screenshot-2014-07-16-02_25_061.png

Video Unboxing, testing and PAR fluence rate measurements on video.

Is it aircooled?
The lights are cooled by individual fans to keep case temps down...the fans also have a dust screen to help keep the insides of the lights clean.
The tent is cooled by a 6" hydrofarm fan hooked to a large carbon scrubber mounted at the top of my grow tent.

Soil or Hydro?
Soil.... recycled and reused soil.

If soil... what is in your mix?
I am using a recycled soil which is re amended every time a cycle is finished and dumped into my soil bin to cook until needed. Most of this soil is probably 2 years old or more. The basic ingredients/additives are below

The Base Soil Mix:

ProMix HP
Worm Castings
Volcanic Pumice
Alaskan Forest Humus

The Amendments:
Azomite (trace minerals and micronutrients)
Calcium Carbonate Powder 97%
Soft Rock Phosphate (Collidal Clay with high phosphorus and CEC value)
Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate)
Crab Meal 2-3-0 23% calcium(also a P source and source of chitin a hormone/growth regulator)
Fish Bone meal. (3-18-0) 24% Calcium
Lava Sand (adds trace minerals and supposedly adds paramagnetic value to the soil)
Crab Shell Meal 2-3-0 23% Calcium
Kelp Meal (also has growth hormones and PGR's, plus trace minerals)
Alfalfa Meal. (2-0-3) (contains Trichontinol which aids in plant growth and health)
Powdered Humic Acid (Adds Carbons to the soil as well as trace minerals and aids in chelation of minerals)
Humboldt Myco's Maximum (Beneficial Bacteria and Mycorrizae Fungus)
Epsom Salts (Magnesium Sulfate)
Greensand (0-0-3) (Trace Minerals)
Dry Molasses (1-0-3) (Energy for the Microbes)

If soil... What size pot?
It is soil, and the pots are #10 smartpots (10 gallon) and I think there actually larger than 10 gallons..

Temp of Room/cab?
usually my ambient temps stay between 75F-85F (during the current summer months the upper portion of the tent can reach 90F while the canopy stays roughly 85F.

RH of Room/cab?
my RH typically stays right around 50% but sometimes (rarely) the winds come off the desert and dry the RH down to 10% or less.

PH of media or res?
I don't check PH..

Any Pests ?
Nope...none
I do use a few preventative measures to make sure it stays this way..
I grow high brix, so typically pests don't go for high brix plants.
I spray in veg with spinosad which pretty much prevents any pests from wanting to breed
I use yucca extract in soil and foliar sprays which also seems to be a great pest deterrent.

How often are you watering?
This depends on the portion of the cycle I am in, but can range from every day in small volume to every few days with larger volume.

Type and strength of ferts used?

Using foliar products including Bloomit, Amaze and PGR.
I also will be using Tand J enterprises tea and bio-minerals
about 1x per month I will be giving a soil drench of earthjuice

Other nutrients on hand include and may be used:
occasional additive include advanced nutrients: carboload, organic b, fulvic acid
occasional additives include general organics: bioweed, cal/mag, hydrolyzed squid, florablend tea, bioroot
bonide liquid fish 2-4-0...love this stuff!
SNS pest products for prevention
Spinosad by bonide

DSC095091.JPG
DSC095101.JPG

OK.... so today I started by cleaning my tent from the previous grow, bleach water to the sides and walls, and removing the bottom waterproof tray and washing/scrubbing it. I sprayed the canvas of the bottom tray with lysol to keep any mold or mildew from building up. After it dried I placed it back in the tent, hooked up my LEDs and got to work repotting.

The tangies I sprouted from seed about 1 month and 1 week ago, 8 of them rooted and were moved from solo cups to 2 gallon plastic pots. Today I took each of the 8 plants, and transplanted them into 5 gallon plastic pots using my premixed and recycled soil. I dusted the roots with Dogget Simpson #1 which is a mycos and humic acid powder and then gave the girls a plain water feeding as well as a foliar spray.

I plan on topping them 1x in the next day or 2 to increase the amount of tops they have, but before that I took some observations of the plants traits, growth and such. I've never grown from seed and really don't have a clue what to look for so I am just taking notes of everything I notice so after topping I can compare and also have record for after harvest.

Here are today's Observations.

VEG Aug 27th. Before Topping.

Plant 1 (back left)
15"tall, tighter nodes, dual bud sites on each node, no alternate branching
fatter leaf structure, more indica dom slightly, very nobby edges, not sharp.
no side branching

Plant 2
16" tall, ODD structure plant, alternating nodes with single budsites, very small leaf
with sharp pointy edges, **this plant was snapped in half upon transplant but taped and ok.
Not a good structure for the plant, but does have 1 side branch.

Plant 3
20", alternating nodes with single budsite, 2nd tallest plant, leaf look about 50/50 indica/sativa,
very pointy leaf edges, no side branching, overall more strechy nodes than shorter plants

Plant 4 (back right)
16" tall, dual nodes with dual budsides, 7-9 point leaf, indica dom/fat leaf,
leafs have more jagged edges but not as extreme as others. Overall good plants structure,

Plant 5 (Front Left)
15" tall, Tigher nodes, dual bud sites on each node. no alternate branching,
Sativa dom type leafs, thin with very spiky leaf edges. Overall very nice plant structure.
Thickest stem of all,

Plant 6
21" Tallest Plant, alternating and dual nodes single budsite, very stretched internode distance,
Leafs seem to be 50/50 indica/sativa type, long and medium fat, edjes are more rounded than pointy,
no side branching, good overal plant.

Plant 7
13" shortest plant of the bunch, but was under different lighting for a few weeks (pink) so
this also may have encouraged side branching since its the only plant with 2 side branches.
dual node structure on main maristem with dual budsites, shortest plant of group.
leafs seem to be more indica dom, fatter round nubby edges, small leafs (which may also be due to the light)

Plant 8(Front Right)
14" short plant, but stretchy nodes, one of 3 of the cluster type tops (bunched),
sleeker leafs looks like slightly sativa dom, rounded edges, not pointy, no side branching,
odd structure.

The plants I have numbered 1-8, starting on the back left moving right, and then 5-8 start on the front row left, and move to the right.
The numbers will also be used when cloned to keep track of each pheno.

I also am hoping for a male because it would be awesome to make a few crosses with my other strains... but we will see... always time to do that after I pick the pheno I like and use CS.

yep im here too Brotha so I noticed the aloe plant in the other journal
was it you who said it was good to use as a rooting gel?
someone mentioned it I used it on my medi bomb 1 cuts its been about a week and showing
like its gonna root soon :thumb:
I still got hormex in the res with some veg nutes
next round im gonna try it with the aloe for gel and aussie tonic for the res
I usually add veg nutes once I think roots will be appearing
Have a Great FreeWeed day Tomorrow Brotha :thumb:

yep im here too Brotha so I noticed the aloe plant in the other journal
was it you who said it was good to use as a rooting gel?
someone mentioned it I used it on my medi bomb 1 cuts its been about a week and showing
like its gonna root soon :thumb:
I still got hormex in the res with some veg nutes
next round im gonna try it with the aloe for gel and aussie tonic for the res
I usually add veg nutes once I think roots will be appearing
Have a Great FreeWeed day Tomorrow Brotha :thumb:

Hey Cronic!!! Welcome!!!

Yea I was the one who mentioned it, Haven't tried it yet but now that its getting big enough I think next clones I take will be with the aloe instead of clonex :)

I've also read that aloe is a great plant to have in the home as it takes harmful chemicals out of the air like formaldehyde. :)

Thats sweet that you are seeing it working, I have seen a few people mention it on different forums and pages all saying it works well :)

Happy Friedday Cronic!!!

If anyone has any suggestions of things to look for when selecting a pheno I would greatly appreciate it as this is my 1st time.

My thoughts are picking the best structured plant, as well as the one that overall turns the best buds... but if there is anything else I should know, please feel free to suggest it :)

Subbed up first page! lol Loved the last journal and looking forward to see you do what you do. GL brother.

Hey Bamalabrat!!!!

Glad you made it :) pull up a chair, or beanbag or whatever and enjoy the show :)

:popcorn: ...always a pleasure to watch and learn from your grow's, Ice...

Hey Shrike!!!

Thanks for being part of my new journal :) appreciate ya!! always a pleasure!

So question to those who have pheno hunted before....

Im debating whether I should top my plants or not... the main reason I want to top them is there is no side branching to clone at this time...

Would you recommend me topping them? or would it be better to wait and see if side branching develops?

Pros/Cons of topping when selecting a pheno?

So question to those who have pheno hunted before....

Im debating whether I should top my plants or not... the main reason I want to top them is there is no side branching to clone at this time...

Would you recommend me topping them? or would it be better to wait and see if side branching develops?

Pros/Cons of topping when selecting a pheno?
Ice
I have no answer to this. I am struggling with the same thoughts. I finally just decieced that since I did not want to set up another tent I popped more beans. :) But I was wondering the same thing. Do I top once maybe twice and just take a couple of clones at once or do I wait until there is side branching and then take a clone. Really could not come up with an answer for that. Seems to me though that I was going to top my plants anyway and use a screen, so that would have been the way I think I would have gone.

I'm in. I need to understand the basics of this hunting process. You are my favorite instructor of choice these days, so let me jump back and catch up with you. WooHoo!!! :slide:

Hi Ice, wow, can't believe I caught you at page 2....I clone constantly....don't be afraid to top...that will encourage side branching, for sure

Icemud, geez, I'm always stunned by how much I learn every time I come to visit you. Thanks so much for the video on PAR readings. Made me wish I had a meter. I wonder....? No... I can't remember a time when he had one here. Shoot!! :straightface:

We're going to have lots of fun with this search. I can feel it. :battingeyelashes:

Ice
I have no answer to this. I am struggling with the same thoughts. I finally just decieced that since I did not want to set up another tent I popped more beans. :) But I was wondering the same thing. Do I top once maybe twice and just take a couple of clones at once or do I wait until there is side branching and then take a clone. Really could not come up with an answer for that. Seems to me though that I was going to top my plants anyway and use a screen, so that would have been the way I think I would have gone.

Yea I'm not too sure either, I guess I will wait a week to see if putting them under full spectrum encourages branching or not... If it doesn't then I probably will end up topping them.

On this grow I want to make sure I pick the best genetics so I don't want to train the plant too much, but do need branches to clone..LOL what to do...

Back
Top Bottom