Monster Cropped White Widow - SCROG - Hydro - 2015

sciguy

Hey all,

I am still pretty new to growing, and have learned a lot, and continue to learn as I grow. I appreciate any and all advice I receive and thank you all in advance.

I recently grew out some Feminized White Widow seeds from seed to harvest and took clones when they were at day 22 of flower. I grew those clones out in a cloner and immediately transferred them to the flower tent. they grew for 21 days under 12/12, I then took clones from them and threw out the plants I took them off of. I was then left with the 6 clones. I put them in the cloner and rooted and revegged the 6 clones in the cloner until rooted, took around 13 days to reveg and root. Here are some pics

These first pics are of the original monster cropped clones that I took another set of monster cropped clones from,

20150816_203116.jpg
20150816_203135.jpg

Here is a pic of the new clones after they were put in the cloner box under 180w LED light,

20150816_214223.jpg

Here are a couple shots a week or 2, cant really remember, before harvesting the mother to these clones,

20150824_200414.jpg
20150824_200426.jpg
20150824_200501.jpg

Here is a shot of total harvest off of the 2 White Widow Plants grown from seed, Total Wet Weight 1.42lbs, Total Dry Weight 3.78oz.

20150828_221906.jpg

My Setup

4ft x 4ft grow tent

3 LED lights totaling 780watts, 2 panels have 180watts actual draw, 1 light has 100 watts actual draw

SCROG Screen ( Metal Wire )

3.5 gallon Bubble Bucket

4 outlet air pump

4in inline fan w carbon filter

fan speed controller ( constantly set to 75% )

GreenPad CO2 Generator ( changed weekly )

Adjustable fan for air movement

Nutes

General Hydroponics FLORAGRO, FLORAMICRO, FLORABLOOM

CalMAG+

Rapid Start

Liquid KoolBloom

Sweet ( replaces CALMAG during flower )

RO Water

H2O2

After the clones rooted and started producing normal eaves it was time to transplant them from the cloner to their final grow bucket the 3.5 gallon bubble buckets I looked closely at all 6 clones and based on structures I chose the best 4 to transplant and threw out the other 2 clones.

Heres a pic of the clones before they rooted and vegged, and after transplant

20150824_200158.jpg
20150824_200214.jpg
20150824_200248.jpg
20150824_200302.jpg
20150906_193154.jpg
20150906_193159.jpg
20150906_193205.jpg
20150906_193210.jpg

I took these clones on 8/16/2015

Roots showed 8/26/2015

Topped each plant 8/27/2015

Transplanted clones to buckets on 8/29/2015

I let the plants grow out and stretch, I had some light issues with the light being too close and the plants not stretching as they grew. I raised the lights and normal growth rates resumed. I placed the SCROG material over the grow on 09/20/2015. Since then I have had to weave the plants branches through a couple times, waiting for around 3in of growth before bending it under another square in the SCROG. Plants are under a 18/6 light schedule.

The clones initially had flowers and hairs showing sex when taken, after reveg the hairs and buds went away, and new growth started, last week the hairs have all come back and showing signs of all females. I am keeping an eye out daily for hermies since I have read that monster cropped clones can hermie from the stress. I figure with all the stress from a SCROG as well, I need to be ever vigilant in the search for balls and nanners.

Each bubble bucket has a drain plug at the bottom of the bucket, and a fill hole on the top of the lid, I placed each bubble bucket on a 8in plant holder, giving me enough room to drain the 2 gallons of water i use in each bucket. I then use the fill hole to fill the bucket with RO water and then add nutes. This system made it easy to have a scrog for the whole tent and still be able to get around and do what I have to do for each plant. The tent unzips almost completely around giving me access to the back plants.

That's about it for now, I will take some updated pics since the ones I had are a few weeks old, and post them later today after the plants dark period is over.

Heres an update,

So out of the white widow I harvested, I bought a Magical Butter 2 machine, and used 1oz of buds and 2 cups of everclear, set the temp to 160F and hit the 8 hour button, I wanted a stronger more potent tincture. The tincture came out excellent, those guys and gals make a great product. The tincture is plenty potent for a seasoned toker, as well as someone new to medical marijuana. My patients have raved about the tinctures since I have made them, I have patients that can not smoke but can help greatly from the medical benefits of medical marijuana. I highly recommend tinctures for those that cant smoke as an alternative. Patients are seeing significant relief in pain and stress and anxiety in less than 25 minutes, for most of my patients. With the effects lasting ranging from 1.5hours to 5 hours long.

I plan on using this machine to also make pain creams and cooking butters and oils. I will let everyone know how they turn out as I make them.

20150923_155525.jpg

Hey all,

My Setup

4ft x 4ft grow tent

3 LED lights totaling 780watts, 2 panels have 180watts actual draw, 1 light has 100 watts actual draw

Can you clarify for me on you LED's a bit? The 2 panels have 180W actual draw each or together? Thanks

ok so heres what I have for lights

2 x 300 watt LED panels ( each panel has an actual power draw of 180 watts ) according to tester

1 x 180 watt LED light ( actual power draw 100 watts ) according to tester

All panels are full spectrum lighting for both vegetative and flower cycles, they also include IR light as well.

Each light is hanging with adjustable ratcheting light hangars so I can easily move them up or down depending on what the plant needs.

3 days ago the screen was 1.5in above all the plants with only 1 shoot coming through.I had the lights too close which made the branches not grow as tall, so right now I'm waiting for them to grow up to the screen as the rest of the plant fills the screen out. I plan on keeping them in veg for another week or so until the screen is about 60% full. then switching to flower and filling it the rest of the way out. I use CO2 pads and hang them over the plants to help account for higher temps as well as to increase plant vigor during veg and early flower. I use 2 large GREENPADs in the grow tent to make sure it has the correct amount of CO2 for the tents size, the pads also get changed weekly.

I'm looking into the CO2 buckets, anyone use those before? I'm using the greenpads cause I know they work based on not having them in my grows before compared to now. Any input on these would be greatly appreciated.

At the rate the plants are currently growing I expect to flip to flower within the next 10 days.

Current Ph in all buckets is 6.0

Current PPM in all buckets range between 1300-1550. I have to add calmag periodically as it shows signs of deficiency, Ive learned that White Widow is a calmag hog all they way till switching from calmag to sweet, then shes a sweet hog until final flush.

I always use RO water with every water change, last grow I changed the water and nutes every week like clockwork, that led to a lot of nutrient and ph issues, in my opinion the nute mix was way too rich for the plants, they were always having the tips burned and some yellowing, I was always adding more water to bring ppms down it was a nightmare. This grow I am taking more of a relaxed approach, letting the plants tell me when they need food, letting the ppms diminish and let the plant use what its taking before changing it all out. I add H2O2 everyday to the buckets so I know they are always sterile, and I have not had a single burn since taking this tactic. I'm also saving a lot of money on nutes! I'm changing around every 14 days or so saving me from using half as much nutes. but that's why I also have to add calmag every other day. the bucket holds all the other nutes but once it uses up all the calmag it doesn't matter what the ppms are since the calcium and magnesium is what the plant uses to soak up and distribute all those other nutrients, if its used up all of those, then the other nutes available essentially become unavailable and you starve and stress your plant.

Sorry for the long posts and paragraphs, I have had a few people ask me to put things in my journal on here, I tend to remember things halfway through a though and that's why the focus tends to change in lengthy paragraphs I apologize in advance, plus I'm highly medicated and most things are gonna come off as a run on sentence right now anyway.

I will post more about this crazy grow adventure later, for now I have to make dinner, and get ready to see 62 patients tomorrow, life as a pain doc, never ending

Legitimate pain doc, it's ok I bet it's not common to see on here. I'm also an avid medical marijuana advocate and promote its medical value and necessity as well as research different strains medical properties and try to find the right alternative compared to patients of mine that are on vico din but now their kidneys are having problems along with their livers. Where as medical marijuana relieves their pain and other symptoms without the other harmful effects that other drugs have.

Refreshing to hear a pain mngt dr say that marijuana is a good alternative to opiates, instead of trying to not give emergency meds simply because patients use mmj for pain relief. It's been a problem for me for 5 years. I had to choose mmj or roxi's. After the first 3 years, and countless times of withdrawl, I decided I'd stick with mmj and ditch the roxi's. Now I keep a stash of Norco for my severe pain and it lasts over 3 months before I need a refill.
GB80

I would much rather my patients use something that has that isn't as harmful to the body. And the best part is that it doesn't only have to be smoked. I prefer procedures, and chiro, and medical marijuana than just prescribing opiates to someone that's going to get addicted to them over time, harm other vital organs by taking the opiates over extended periods of time, and more importantly, me having to take someone off opiods because of addiction and then nothing they can take covers their pain. It's a very thin line, but the good docs prefer alternative routes like I mentioned earlier.

I took some pics of the plants after I turned the light out before setting them to bed for the next 6 hours.

20150924_114411.jpg
20150924_114423.jpg
20150924_114433.jpg
20150924_114441.jpg
20150924_114449.jpg

I know right now it looks more like a support than a SCROG, I was wanting the shoots to grow more through the holes to be about 3in long before I weave it through the next hole, I will be doing that tonight, Mainly the last few days its just been trying to set up the shoots under the screen so that when they grow they are growing horizontally instead of like a Christmas tree, So i guess you could say I am using the SCROG as both a support system as well as a SCROG.

Last night while trying to spread everything out I came to the realization that I positioned the plug on the lid facing the wrong direction in the tent which is now making it a pain in the butt to check the ph and ppm of that single bucket. all the others are easy to get to and maintain.

PH is 6.2 in all buckets, RH is 38%, Ambient Temp 88F-91F when the lights are on, 76F-78F when the light is off. CO2 ppm 850ppm.

Not much I can do about raising the humidity, I have tried just about everything, a 2 gallon container of water that's left open to evaporate from the lights, to increase room humidity, I have tried little vaporizers like the ones you buy at Walmart, the most I can ever get it to is 43%. I live in the desert and its always over 100F and never more than 10% humidity at any given time. Unless it rains, which I did say I live in the desert right? so that hardly ever happens.

Last night I did a defoil on the plants, due to the reveg, I had some mutant leafs growing all over the place and blocking light to other nodes, so most of those got cut off, I removed a few of the lower branches to help clean it up under the scrog net, basically just removed all the branches and shoots that are way too short to make it up to the screen. Some of those leafs were huge, covering up entire growth shoots. They look really weird the leafs have 1 stem and they look like 3 separate single blade leafs connected to it, really weird looking, plus they are really fat.

Tonight I will be running the shoots through the wires so after I'm done the shoots wont look as tall as they do in the pics I just posted.

I do apologize for the long posts, however I am trying to log every aspect that I'm doing in the grow incase it answers anyones grow questions. Also to keeo an accurate log of what has been tried and failed, as well as describing what I'm planning on doing in case someone else has an easier way to accomplish whatever task I'm setting out to do. The more info the better. Besides, when you get a notification of a new message wouldn't you rather read an actual message, than it just be a smiley face that someone posted.

Ill be back later tonight with more pics and more info, have to go back to work now, lunch break over.

Subbed and loving what I am seeing and reading. Thanks sciguy for sharing your grow with us. Looking forward to seeing that screen get full. :) I am also growing a couple of WW in a RDWC system with two other strains. All supposed to finish around 8 week. They are still in veg, I am guessing I am behind you about a week. So will really be watching your grow to better tell what I can look forward to doing. :)

I love the long posts. I have quite a few myself. :) I use my journal to keep my thoughts straight and to just give voice to what ever I think worth mentioning. I think that it helps, so if you feel like you need to or want to write it down, then do it. :)

Can I ask what nutes are you using?

Thanks for sharing and good luck. :)

I'm using FLORAGRO, FLORAMICRO, and FLORABLOOM as base nutrients for veg, along with CALMAG and Rapid Start. For flower, I use FLORAMICRO, FLORABLOOM, CALMAG for 2 weeks then switch to SWEET for the rest of flower, and Liquid Koolbloom.

During flower the plants stop using so much calcium and magnesium, they need sugar carbs to really develop big buds, I use Sweet Raw, its not flavored at all, its a lot like adding molasses into soil, almost same effect. it brings out the natural flavors in the buds and makes them swell really big around week 5 or 6 in flower.

if your growing White Widow the best advice I can give is that White Widow is a CALMAG hog! if you run into nutrient deficiencies with this plant and you know your feeding correctly, she has run out of CALMAG and will show all sorts of signs of deficiency or toxicity, I learned that a nice helping of CALMAG will straighten her out. She gobbles it all up leaving none for the rest of the nutrients to use to ride to go throughout the plant causing those deficiencies. So keep an eye out for that. These clones are monster cropped from the white widows I grew from seed to harvest.

As for the 8 week mark, that's a bunch of BS, I just finished groing the strain, I went by the 8 or 9 week mark on the calendar, I ended up harvesting about a week to a week and half too early.

The good side to that though is that even though the buds were not as potent or as big as I wanted, I still ended up with a pretty phenomenal product at the end of the cure, a very euphoric energetic high sets in first, then you feel your body just melt from you feet up as your body mellows and relaxes, then the euphoria drifts away into a serene calm feeling. last a couple hours. and a product I like, that's why i did the monster cropping on them, Now to flower these as long as it takes to get the best product is what I'm aiming for.

So yeah the 8 week mark is more of a guideline, I have recently learned to start counting weeks of flower after they have already started showing buds, not from when I switched the light schedule, I fear that's what screwed me up on the last grow.

And that my friend is why I sub to other peoples journals. :) Nothing beats experience! I have been told to count down from the bud production as well. I was told that the first two weeks are post veg/pre flower. Makes sense. I had to add a bit of cal mag a couple of weeks ago and it really seemed to help. This last weekend I did a res change, so for the last 4 days was a fresh batch of nutes. I added a 1/6 strength of nutes yesterday just to keep the nutes fresh and up the PPM's a little. Plants really seemed to love that. They are all looking great today.
I really appreciate your letting me tag along with your grow.

that's another thing, later on in flower you will learn to flush the last week or so before harvest, this makes the plant use up every bit of nutrients it has, think bud on steroids at this point, even though your technically starving them by not having nutrients available to uptake from the solution they still have tons of nutes stored in the leaves, that's why toward the end of flower you will see yellowing on leaves, its draining nutes out of the leaves and into the buds. This is what we all as growers want, big beautiful buds that are potent as hell with the maximum yield we can achieve.

That being said, this grow, I'm not changing the res every 7 days like I did last grow, I always had nutrient burn and lockout, as well as stunted growth from the LED lights being too close, it was a pain in the ass and took constant upkeep. This time around I add in the full recommended amount, of each nutrient and I let it drop to 500-600ppm before I change it out, All I ever replace in the mixture is just CALMAG. It saves all those other nutrients, I haven't had any deficiencies or any nute burn during this entire grow using this system. I change the res every 14 days or so. that equates to using half as much nutes as before, saving me money while not hurting the grow at all. remember its the calcium and magnesium that gets used up and renders the other nutes useless, add CALMAG and the plant will soak up those other ppms!

That's my 2 cents as a summary of what Ive learned between last grow and this one. The best part is, I'm still learning everyday, mostly through trial and error and reading others journals as well. Welcome aboard and hopefully we can learn from each others mistakes as well triumphs.

Back
Top Bottom