First Grow - RQS Northern Lights Auto - 360W CFL

Weston

Hello,

I have been thinking about growing for years, but about a month ago I started to seriously consider it and so began researching. I decided to start off small and simple with a cfl closet grow and two autos. My goal is to harvest enough to last for personal use until the next harvest.

I figured signing up and starting a journal would be not only a good way for me to keep track of things but also to have something to look back on. I have no experience with growing of any kind and have nobody I can talk to for advice or help. Hopefully some of you guys can offer me your guidance along the way and help me deal with any issues that may arise.

Over the past couple of weeks, I have been gathering what is required and preparing my grow space. I will be growing in a closet measuring 162x74x46cm hwd. I painted the interior of the closet with reflective white paint. I chose cfl lighting due to limited space and lack of ventilation/heat dissipation. I have a 300w dual spectrum plugged into a ballasted reflector which I hung from the closet rail with adjustable rope ratchets - I can adjust the hight as needed. I also have two 30w full spectrum bulbs each connected to clamp sockets that I will place wherever light is needed. I will be using two 6 inch fans for air flow/cooling.

I will be using two 10 litre buckets that I have punched drainage/air holes in. I will be using simple multi purpose compost along with ionic grow and bloom nutrients. I will be growing Northern lights automatic from royal queen seeds. I've heard good things about the strain and I am hoping for a deep, relaxing high as I suffer from anxiety - amongst other issues.

As of writing this I am waiting on the seeds, ph up/down solution and a ph meter. All should be here within a week. If seeds arrive before ph gear I may take a chance and start the grow without them.

Thanks for reading. I hope you'll stick around and help me on my journey =)

I'll just summarize my set up for those of you less inclined to reading walls of text. I'll take some pics after I post this.

Strain - Northern Lights Auto from Royal Queen Seeds

Grow Space - Closet 172x74x46cm hwd

Lights - CFL 300w dual spectrum w/reflector, 2x 30w full specrum w/clip brackets

Pots - 10 Litre buckets with drainage/air holes punched

Medium - Multi-purpose compost without slow release nutrients

Nutrients - Ionic soil grow and Ionic soil bloom, ionic ph up and down

Monitoring - ph pen meter, dual thermometer/hygrometer

Closet
DSC_0004_11.JPG

Inside
DSC_000788.JPG

300W CFL
DSC_001085.JPG

30w CFL
DSC_001185.JPG

Any input is appreciated. Do I have enough room and light for two plants? Are the nutrients suitable? If you see any issues or have any input please feel free to comment. I think I did ok with what I had. But honestly - beyond research - I'm a fish out of water =p

OK... so I put seed to soil three days ago. So far nothing... and the more I think about it, the more I realise that I have made mistakes. First off, I did not germinate... just planted straight to soil... I also just read that seeds should be planted 1/4 inch deep but I'm sure I planted like 2-3 inch!

I'm kinda freaking out here and am considering plunging my hands into the soil to save my seeds from rotting and dying...

What should I do?!

Well,

I was worrying over nothing it seems, as both seeds have successfully broken soil. They were both literally half a mm from doing so on their own as I discovered when I very gently brushed my fingers across the top of the soil.

Pics to follow.

If you look closely on the middle pic you can see a little spec of green a couple inches south of the seedling. It appears to be something else much smaller trying to break soil. I'll keep an eye on it and report back.

To get to this point I have been keeping the soil quite wet with filtered tap water ph'd to 6.5. I put the 30w cfls just above the soil to keep things warm. I used a single 6" inch fan at the top of the closet on low to keep some air flowing, though it did knock at least 10% off my humidity. I made sure the soil was always wet so it wasn't a concern. Quite impressed how quickly they broke soil considering I did not germinate beforehand and thought I planted too deep.

I plan to keep the 30w cfls at the distance shown on the pics until the plants have their first set of proper leaves then I will start my main 300w and adjust it as required.

To get to this point I have been keeping the soil quite wet with filtered tap water ph'd to 6.5. I put the 30w cfls just above the soil to keep things warm. I used a single 6" inch fan at the top of the closet on low to keep some air flowing, though it did knock at least 10% off my humidity. I made sure the soil was always wet so it wasn't a concern. Quite impressed how quickly they broke soil considering I did not germinate beforehand and thought I planted too deep.

I plan to keep the 30w cfls at the distance shown on the pics until the plants have their first set of proper leaves then I will start my main 300w and adjust it as required.

Hey man, welcome. I've been keeping an eye out for new grows on here but I had to be away for a few days.

I like your set-up, your motives, and your plan! This sounds exactly like me, right now! My two Northern Lights Ladies just broke ground yesterday in their cabinet. I'll be interested to compare our grows as they happen. Good luck!

And I will report back with my journal link when I start it tomorrow. I'm just so busy lately.

Looking good,

Rumples

Hey man, welcome. I've been keeping an eye out for new grows on here but I had to be away for a few days.

I like your set-up, your motives, and your plan! This sounds exactly like me, right now! My two Northern Lights Ladies just broke ground yesterday in their cabinet. I'll be interested to compare our grows as they happen. Good luck!

And I will report back with my journal link when I start it tomorrow. I'm just so busy lately.

Looking good,

Rumples

Hey man,

Thanks for your interest.

I look forward to checking out your grow.

Best of luck.

Things seem to be coming along nicely. The seedlings opened up and began to stretch a little last night, so I decided to switch my main light on to see how they'd react. Woke up this morning to check on them and they seem to be loving the extra light.

DSC_002151.JPG
DSC_001948.JPG

One of the seedlings seems to be growing slower than the other. Both its stem and fan leaves are shorter and its cotyledons are curled up. Considering both plants are in the same environment and have received the same treatment; I'm not too concerned. Both are working on their next set of leaves now.

I feel they may not have enough nutrients as I potted in multi-purpose compost. So I decided to give them a little grow nutrients. They shared 2ml diluted in 1litre of water. 7ml per litre is stated dose. Will keep an eye on them to see how they respond.

The mystery plant that was poking out of the soil has shown itself... though I have no idea what it is or whether its presence will be an issue (see pics).

DSC_002556.JPG
DSC_002658.JPG
DSC_002857.JPG
DSC_003048.JPG

Hope all is well in your world.

Is this grow still alive?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read our Photo Gallery Tutorial.

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom