Straight Edge - CFL - Bucket Grow - First Grow - Candy Cane Auto

StraightEdge

Hello,

This will be my first grow. It's actually been over 10 years since I've sampled herb, but I recently became interested in growing. Due to health issues, I convinced my wife to try smoking green, and it seems to be helping. Although she is not supportive of my grow plans, I decided to forge on ahead and build a bucket to grow in.

What strain is it? Candy Cane Auto
Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? What percentages? 60% Indica, 30% Sativa, 10% Ruderalis
Is it in Veg or Flower stage? Still a baby sproutling - First one sprouted 5 days ago, Second sprouted 3 days ago
If in Veg... For how long? As above
If in Flower stage... For how long? N/A
Indoor or outdoor? Indoor
Soil or Hydro? Soilless? Pro Mix Bx
If soil... what is in your mix? Pro Mix Bx + extra pearlite
If soil... What size pot? 5gal bucket, of which approx. 2.5gal is filled soil
Size of light? 4x23w CFL
Is it aircooled? 120mm PC exhaust fan, 120mm PC intake fan (which is not powered)
Temp of Room/cab? 18c-24c
RH of Room/cab? Terrible. Normally around 25% RH
PH of media or res? ... Still no PH meter
Any Pests ? Hope not, but it's early
How often are you watering? Trying to water as little as possible.
Type and strength of ferts used? None yet. Will be using GH Flora Series.

I started with one 5gal bucket, following the Space Bucket design, and once complete, I germinated and planted a seed purchased from a seed vendor. Due to my terrible impatience, and not seeing any signs of life after 2 days of planting, I germinated another seed. Of course, the first seed sprouted. As I'm not big into wasting things, I then planted the second seed into a dixie cup, and it's currently sitting in the bucket with the frist seedling. I am now in the process of constructing a second bucket for the dixie cup sproutling, which will follow the same design as the first.

As stated above, i'm currently 5 days in with the first sprout, and 3 days in with the second. They are currently on a 20/4 schedule. The worst part is checking them 5 times a day. Apparently patience isn't my strongest virtue. I'm hoping to take pictures of the buckets and the little sprouts later on today.

Any feedback is much appreciated. Thanks!

Here is a picture of sprout 1. Day 6. Notice the tips of the first leaves. I think I wasn't watering enough at the start...?

FullSizeRender1_-_Copy.jpg

And here is a picture of sprout 2. Day 4. Still trying to finish the second bucket to move her into.

FullSizeRender2_-_Copy.jpg

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks.

Can anyone tell me if their size is normal? They seem to be growing slowly compared to other autos I've seen on the forum...

Nothing new today. One of the new leaves on sprout #2 looks interesting. Guess we'll wait and see how it grows out. I'll post weekly pics, unless there's a development which requires photographic evidence.

Not to worry. Progress is painfully slow in the beginning & can be strain relative. Just look forward to a new set of leaves every few days. Should start seeing some gains at about 10 days or so. I've just lived through the same anxiety with my first grow. Exciting times just around the corner for you. Welcome to the forum.

Hey StraightEdge, welcome aboard!
It's a bummer your wife isn't supportive of growing, hopefully over time she will see the benefits of growing your own medicine, with the savings and knowing what goes into the plants.

Awesome news you have two babies, good luck on your next bucket!

Do you have any more pics of the bucket, grows like this really intrest me.

Hope they grow quick for you, while you wait there is too much to read at :420:

Happy days WS

Quick update. I'm concerned about the yellowing of the leaves on sproutling 1. I'm using Pro Mix BX with Mycorrhizae. The leaves on sprout 1 have always looked lacking in something, but the yellowing is becoming more pronounced. Overwatering perhaps? I watered it saturday night, with about 1/2gal of bottled water, and the medium is still fairly moist. When sprout 1 was first planted, I watered it once then waited about 5 or 6 days to water again, and the medium seemed very dry 2 inches in. Then she developed those dead spots at the tips of her leaves. Now I may be overwatering to compensate... It's still growing, but neither of my sprouts look that lush green color that other seedlings do. Any comments/feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

Here is sprout 1 @ 11 days
FullSizeRender410.jpg

And here is sprout 2 @ 9 days
FullSizeRender310.jpg

Like I said, I have some concerns regarding the yellowing. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Another update:

Sprout 1 still having the yellowing issues. I added 1/8th the recommended GH nutes during the watering 4 days ago, but it doesn't look like it did anything. Maybe I should've added nutes sooner, or not added them at all. Any comments or advice would be appreciated

Sprout 1
FullSizeRender510.jpg

Sprout 2 is gonna need to be moved to her own bucket soon.

Sprout 2
FullSizeRender610.jpg

I'm an FNG, also, so take my advice with a grain of salt; just hate to see a fellow member in need twisting in the wind. I'm going to take a stab at a lack of nutrients. I started mine on 1/4 nutes @ 10 days. They tolerated the strength fine but I almost watered them to death early on, probably the the most prevalent newb mistake. It appears you're practicing restraint in this area. Ph could also be the culprit but without a meter it would be a guessing game. Many suggest using RO water claiming it's ph neutral but I've found evidence otherwise. Try stepping your nutes up to 1/4 strength when they need watering again. Perhaps one of our resident pros will stop in to confirm my thesis or offer other suggestions. Good luck.

What size container are you using? May be a bit early for a transplant especially considering they're a bit stressed.

Update-

Day 15 for Sprout 1 and day 13 for Sprout 2. I fed about a quarter gallon of water to sprout 1 with 1.25mil of GH Micro and 2.5mil of GH Bloom. Leaves on Sprout 1 still yellowing, and some of the newer leaves are yellowing... I'm hoping that it is indeed nitrogen deficiency, and that further yellowing will be stopped, but we'll see. Sprout 2 seems to be suffering from heat stress and/or overwatering, as the cup is fairly close to the light source. Adjusted the cup height, and i'm hoping to see some improvement. I'm going to pick up a PH meter in the next few days, and flush the next watering to get some PH readings and hopefully help identify my issues. As always, any feedback is appreciated.

FullSizeRender810.jpg

Hope all is well in your world.

Is this grow still alive?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read our Photo Gallery Tutorial.

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom