I'm working on opening a Head Shop, what laws do I need to know?

tooblunt

I'm working on opening a head shop in Eastern Kentucky. What laws to I need to be aware of so that I don't get busted?
I know that I shouldn't show the pieces in the storefront window, but I don't know if I need to keep people under 18 out of the shop even if they are with their parents.
Also I'm not sure of what laws that I might not be familiar with, so that the law enforcement doesn't get a change to bust me on something minor.

How do I find out if I am going to have the local government against me on this or not?

Also I'm looking for a local glass blower to offer their glass pieces on consignment in the head shop.

Thanks for any help you guys can give.

Adam

Adam

As a suggestion, I would see if you can book an hour of time with a local criminal attorney in your area. One that specializes in marijuana might be able to provide you with more detailed info, but a criminal attorney will also know the laws and penalties.

Kentucky - NORML

Ask a few questions, if you don't feel they have enough knowledge or insight, thank them for their time, and see if they can provide a referral.

Other then this method, you could do the research yourself with your State, County, and Village codes and ordinances, which most likely are available online.

Good luck with your store!
SF

I'm working on opening a head shop in Eastern Kentucky. What laws to I need to be aware of so that I don't get busted?
I know that I shouldn't show the pieces in the storefront window, but I don't know if I need to keep people under 18 out of the shop even if they are with their parents.
Also I'm not sure of what laws that I might not be familiar with, so that the law enforcement doesn't get a change to bust me on something minor.

How do I find out if I am going to have the local government against me on this or not?

Also I'm looking for a local glass blower to offer their glass pieces on consignment in the head shop.

Adam
Zoning laws will probably be one of your biggest problems. They only like businesses that are politically correct, and if you have a high level of religous people in the community it can really get interesting.

Adam

Adam,
If you are very serious about your project, I suggest you research the information yourself by talking to real people in the industry in your area.

You can talk to other shop owners, the local law enforcement, the local government, local lawyers.

I think you will get much more specific information that you can rely on from reputable sources.

Back
Top Bottom