Police at my door - Council Eviction Threat

Rustilol

So in November 2013 I was caught smoking a joint in my council flat, neighbours complained about the smell. I opened door to police who entered because they smelt cannabis coming from the flat. I was issued with a notice seeking posession, meaning I would get evicted any time if I did anything else wrong. It expired a year later. I proceeded to stop smoking inside and have not heard anything since.
Tonight, on 4/20 at 9PM while I was cooking dinner after a hard days work, two police came to my door saying there was reported cannabis smell and they needed to come in.
I kindly declined them intruding my home, I did not want anyone entering my home, let alone two strangers. They said it was suspicious that I was not letting them in and threatened to contact the council if I did not let them have a look in my living room. I told them I would not let two people I did not know in my house, to which the response was "we are not people". I still exercised my right to privacy despite the threats, and explained if I was smoking cannabis, they would be able to smell it as my front door is open. The threatened me with smashing down the door if they get a warrant and I'd have to pay for it. I explained they are welcome in with a warrant, but they would be paying for the door as they wouldn't find anything.
I even offered them to come to the flat every night and they would not smell cannabis from the flat I live in. Once again I was told they will tell the council who will evict me because I refused entry. On the way out, one said "Oh by the way, you might want to start looking at haven" (A homeless shelter in my area). There has been a smell in the flat where I live, I have smelt it s few times after work. I am now concerned about the police telling the council I have been smoking again, because I have not. Am I worrying too much? What can the council do if the police do contact them? I refused entry as is everybody right and surely I cannot be punished for that. Advice please? :)

I am assuming you are in the UK.

You were correct to tell them where to get off.

The council cannot evict you without proof of wrongdoing. If you have not broken any of the councils rules regarding council tenancies, then I suggest you get up first thing tomorrow morning so that you can be the first in the queue at your local citizens advice bureau.

Explain what happened and you will be given free legal advice as well as a plan of action should anything further happen.

I also suggest you have your phone ready anytime you answer your door while this is all hanging over you. Before you answer your door, hit the record button and leave the phone somewhere central in your living room where everything they say to you and you say back can be recorded.

If they ever return and make the sorts of threats that you claim they made during their previous visit, they will find themselves in hot water if you have it all on tape. They will have to pay you compensation for unwarranted harassment.

Your version of events , puts you 100% in the clear under UK law. An Englishmans home is his castle and our laws reflect that. Be sure that there is nothing else you are doing on council property that could render you homeless.

Remember he who comes to equity must come with clean hands.

Good luck

Thanks so much for the advice, I will see citizens advice tomorrow morning. I will keep you posted anyway should anyone else find them selves in this unfortunate situation. Tried to up vote but don't know how, what a noob! :thumb:
Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom