Turned Down For Life Insurance Due to Cannabis Use

Clancy

Wow, I've grown so accustomed to more relaxed attitudes about MJ these days that I din't expect this:

A while back I applied for optional life insurance as part of a group plan I'm in. They already insure me for medical expenses etc. But I'm getting on in years and wanted to add a little extra to my insurance in order to let my kids and wife get some money if I should die suddenly.

When I applied the company sent a medical form and had me go to a medical appointment. Everything went smoothly. One of the questions on the form had to do of course with smoking, alcohol, drug use etc. I decided I would not lie and the doctor wrote on the form that I use 5-6 grams a month. The doctor had no reaction to that just like...whatever, and marked it down.

Fast fwd to yesterday, I get a letter from the insurance company saying they won't insure me because of drug use because, and I guess this is the main point, I had already been treated for substance abuse (alcohol) in a " detoxification centre"about 15 years ago. This means that they may have insured me despite the MJ use but the fact that I went to treatment previously has DQ-ed me now.

It's actually crazy because it is MJ that has really assisted me in staying off the vodka for all these 15 years. I'm pissed but don't believe there is much I can do at this point. So the world is changing and we may get to see legalization but insurance companies can still screw you over for cannabis even if it's legal.

My personal policy is, until it is completely removed from the list of controlled substances, never ever admit to using marijuana. To anybody. Even while inhaling. Or exhaling.

Back
Top Bottom