Working in Oregon on a Tourist Visa

A colleague came to me to today worried about her son's plans to go on "holiday" to the US (from the UK) and work as a trimmer on a supposedly legal grow in Oregon.

Anybody got any advice I can pass onto her?

Her fears are that he may get into trouble for getting involved in something she doesn't know to be legal or for working on a visa that may not be meant for working on.

Just a shame I don't have a pile of really fiddly stuff needing trimmed or I'd take it round and try to put him off that way :)

Any foreigner who comes to the US and wants to work must have a work permit. These are in high demand (no pun intended) and are hard to get. Additionally Oregon (and the other marijuana 'legal' states) have residency or other requirements for some or all of those who work in the marijuana industry. There are more than enough willing workers who are US citizens and residents of the states with 'legal' marijuana to meet the need for workers. Your friends son, should he come and expect to find work in the 'legal' marijuana industry, will be sadly disappointed. He would be better off trying in Portugal, Spain, Holland or any other EU nation.
If he seriously wants to try to come to the US and work, he needs to start here. Application for Employment Authorization | USCIS Most likely this will be enough to discourage him.

Back
Top Bottom