Why don't they decriminalize first in Canada, then legalize?

Canuckguy420

Hey all!

Would it not make sense to first decriminalize weed...(I.e. Change the existing laws so that a small number of plants, or possession of pot would not be a chargeable offense)... then develop a comprehensive legalization program?

Changed no that part of the law should be much quicker. Also, if the plan is for full legalization, what will happen to the people busted with small amounts in the interim once it is legal?

I'm hopeful that changes will be made in the short term to the criminal code and that we aren't witing around for another year or two to get anywhere...

The wheels of government turn very slowly and inefficiently at the best of times. I don't think Canada has much precedent for legalization and this government has to build something from the ground up, managing the legal, criminal, medical, and recreational angles, while busy setting up a new federal government. Meanwhile they have to face constant opposition from some or all of the other parties. Easier said than done. I just hope they are able to keep their promise.

Probably in the meantime there won't be many charges laid for pot related 'crimes'. Police are tired of wasting their time on it and courts are so backed up that any excuse will do to throw the charges out. Or so I hope.

Back
Top Bottom