Marijuana And Asthma

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
Nature, a peer-reviewed scientific journal, stated in an 11/02/00 article titled "Bidirectional Control of Airway Responsiveness by Endogenous Cannabinoids" by Calignano et al. (p.96-101):

"Smoking marijuana or administration of its main active constituent, THC, may exert potent dilating effects on human airways. But the physiological significance of this observation and its potential therapeutic value are obscured by the fact that some asthmatic patients respond to these compounds with a paradoxical bronchospasm [constriction of the air passages of the lung] .

The mechanisms underlying these contrasting responses remain unresolved. Here we show that endogenous cannabinoid anandamide exerts dual effects on bronchial responsiveness in rodents: it strongly inhibits bronchospasm and cough evoked by the chemical irritant, capsaicin, but causes bronchospasm when the constricting tone exerted by the vagus nerve is removed."
(November 2, 2000) Nature

Daniele Piomelli, Ph.D., a professor at the University of California at Irvine, told Reuters in 2000:

"We think that by targeting cannabinoid receptors in the upper airways we can control coughs in a number of conditions...That's important because most treatments currently available basically act on the brain cough center, a small region of the brain that is the target for codeine and similar drugs ."
(2000) Daniele Piomelli, Ph.D.

The American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine printed a 1975 (Volume 112) article by Donald P. Tashkin, M.D. titled "Effects of Smoked Marijuana in Experimentally Induced Asthma," that stated:

" After exercise induced bronchospasm, [exercise-induced asthma] placebo marijuana and saline were followed by gradual recovery during 30 to 60 min, whereas 2.0 per cent marijuana...caused an immediate reversal of exercise-induced asthma and hyperinflation."
(1975) American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine

The New England Journal of Medicine, a peer-reviewed medical journal, published a 1973 study titled "Single-Dose Effect of Marihuana Smoke. Bronchial Dynamics and Respiratory-Center Sensitivity in Normal Subjects," by L. Vachon et al., that stated:

"Marihuana smoke, unlike cigarette smoke, causes bronchodilatation [expansion of the air passages] rather than bronchoconstriction [narrowing of the air passages] and, unlike opiates, does not cause central respiratory depression.
(1973) New England Journal of Medicine

NewsHawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: ProCon.org
Copyright: 2010 ProCon.org
Website: Can Marijuana Help People with Asthma or Other Breathing Disorders? - Medical Marijuana - ProCon.org

how effective is marijuana on asthma? Ive had asthma all my life, and a marijuana user for 3 years. Since ive used my asthma has decreased. Why is that? Please give me your thoughts.

how effective is marijuana on asthma? Ive had asthma all my life, and a marijuana user for 3 years. Since ive used my asthma has decreased. Why is that? Please give me your thoughts.

hmmm thc is a bronchial dialator so it opens airways making it easier to breathe
however over the long haul smoking day in and day out may cause lung damage
in the study i read they used a delta 9 thc aerosol delivery system
however i doubt it would not be as satisfying as smoking because smoking delivers the medicine in a complex form
smoking vaporizes all the active ingredients in the cannabis plant that have boiling points of 150 to over 400 degrees fahrenheit

a couple of small sips off the iolite vape should be all it takes to relieve your asthma
it only takes small doses to relieve asthma so if you feel high you have had more than enough
imho never hammer a vape it can dry out and damage your lung cells
you can get seriously medicated using edibles instead of smoking if you want to feel high
smoking regularly is contraindicated for asthmatics

Back
Top Bottom