Should A Pregnant Woman Consume Cannabis?

BWC BayArea

Member of the Month: 3rd Place Winner
I know many women that have and do smoke (blunts and joints) while pregnant. It bugs the hell out of me because often its not MMJ and they know nothing about what they're consuming or where it came from. They just know its weed. I know the blunts and wraps are tobacco products, potentially containing carcinogens and teratogens.

I have 2 questions:

1) Is it safe for a pregnant woman to consume cannabis baked goods, candy, oils, tinctures, salves, capsules, etc?

2) Is it safe for her to vaporize?

I would love to educate a few women of healthier alternatives, since abstinence appears to be out of the question (pun intended).

Still no answer

Ok, I read all of the threads under the pregnancy section of the link provided by USER, None of them really answered the questions. Only one touched upon consuming tea, but at the end of the article someone's refuting the validity and weight of the claims published in Dr. Dreh's Jamaican Pregnancy study. pretty much debunking the whole project. :thanks:for trying, I'd like to hear from some members. Any members RNs or doctors that care to provide a little more insight?

Trying looking up studies done by Dr. Melanie Dreher. :yummy:

I did, she did the Jamaican study I was speaking of. She doesn't appear to be an authority but I'll take ur advice and dig a little deeper. The article I read about her research, they ripped her so bad she looked like she was out of herr league. I'm looking for some recent data from a respected source (maybe I shoulda been more specific in the beginning about what type of info I'm in search of. I need some irrefutable evidence (or as close to it as possible) or case work that has been accepted by some of the leading researchers in the field. Perhaps peer reviews(a published thesis or something), catch my drift........ Still searching. I am generally concerned for the unborn in these type of situations. Thanks for the input. Keep it coming.:peace:

from what i understand it is safer than tobacco or other drugs because its non-addictive, and eating it in food avoids carcinogens. however, no matter how you consume it you are introducing foreign active organic molecules into the cells that are forming a human life. and while this process is occurring it is sensitive to everything (chemicals, hormones, environment). even if THC itself is safe, around stem cells or hormones in the womb it may interact with them and cause unexpected interactions. example: alcohol causes lots of problems in unborn children such as birth defects, and yet i have never seen a growth defect in an old alcoholic or someone who drinks a lot. now ethanol and THC as molecules look nothing alike and act completely different. but both are organic and interact with human cells... IMO i would find absolute proof that its safe before smoking (or eating) THC while pregnant. once the child is born i wouldnt smoke around it all the time either. the first 2 years of a childs life are when its brain develops the most... i wouldnt give it a chemical that isnt normally there unless the effects are understood. its not often that we find something that helps the mind develop in a chemical form. most likely it will do the opposite

i would find absolute proof that its safe before smoking (or eating) THC while pregnant. once the child is born i wouldnt smoke around it all the time either.

Click the link in post # 2. There's a study on pregnant women in Jamaica. AS far as smoking anything in the presence of kids ain't cool.

I don't have any personal or professional knowledge about this. The only thing I can speak of is friends I know who have used during pregnancy or books I've read. If you have read any of my other posts, you can clearly see I'm an Ed Rosenthal fan. So... I'm about to tell you what I read in a book of is... lol

P 370-371 of Ask Ed has some info on this subject... basicallt is says that smoking pot has been an accepted practice for a long time to control morning sickness, discomforts and pain during labor, etc. There hasn't been any study to date to show any increase in birth defects from the use of pot in the mom. A doctor (Peter Fried) did a study of moms and babies and that used pot during pregnancy and compared them to a group that did not use pot and found that the babies of the moms that smoked actually had a higher IQ than the babies of the moms that did not smoke, but he did attribute that to environmental factors.

The only link to babies of moms that smoked pot that has been made (and this is in some studies) is that the babies weight less than of non-pot smoking mothers, but in other studies, the babies of pot smoking mothers actually weighed more... so can we really link that to MJ? I would say no.

I am not sure & im no Scientist but My wife swore to me that it helped with morning sickness. She said when it was absoutly unbareable she would take a few tokes & it would totaly go away. I have also heard this from many other Female friends of mine.

you should remember that there could be legal issues involved with using Cannabis while pregnant. i wouldn't want anyone to find themselves in trouble if Cannabis should show up in some test they run.

I hear what you're saying, but personally, I think that it's up to the people involved with the pregnancy & I think that MMJ should be looked at on the same playing field with any other medications. I know this post was started to be informative, so I'm not going to get into a crazy debate.

And as for following doctor's orders, I can't agree with that 100% b/c if that were true, I'd be dead. I always consider everything & make my own decision, so I think that perhaps this issue could be along the same lines. There had to be a doctor, midwife, alternative birth center somewhere that will discuss this. It's just a matter of finding that kind of center and being able to create a pregnancy or birth plan with them. But with today's politics, that would be hard.

I think it just sucks b/c I know that I was given a med when I was pregnant that caused problems with my child but MMJ could potentially have caused none. Or it could have, but when you put them side by side on a list of "potential side effects" it's like a no brainer of which a person should really consider.

Ok, off my soapbox :thanks:

Back
Top Bottom