Marijuana Operations Reemerging

Medical marijuana operations are starting to resume in Kern County after recent changes made to the rules governing them.

Doug McAfee of the Bakersfield chapter of NORML, a pro-legalization group, said he knows of at least three to five groups planning to restart their operations as collectives and cooperatives.

"There's a lot that are going to be opening up," McAfee said. "Some are probably operating now."

Sheriff Donny Youngblood is aware of new operations emerging and said authorities will be keeping a close eye to make sure they comply with the rules.

"All I can tell you is they are on our radar," he said. "We're well aware of what's going on with them."

Under new state attorney general guidelines, only nonprofit marijuana collectives or cooperatives – not for-profit dispensaries – are allowed to operate under state law.

The groups can't buy or sell the marijuana and members are encouraged to obtain a state ID card and have a doctor's written recommendation in case of potential interactions with law enforcement.

Cooperatives are required to file articles of incorporation with the state, and only patients or their authorized caregivers are allowed to be members of the collective or cooperative.

Bolstering the confidence of those opening the operations was a recent declaration by U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder that marijuana operations complying with state laws won't be prosecuted under federal law.

Many local dispensaries were raided or closed voluntarily in recent years due to a Bush administration's philosophy that the dispensaries – even if legal under state law – still violated federal law.

Youngblood acknowledged that nonprofit marijuana entities are allowed under new guidelines but questioned whether all of them would operate within the rules.

"Certainly that will be the guise they will reopen under," he said.

The sheriff's stance doesn't surprise McAfee but nor does it concern him.

"I don't think there's anything he can do if these collectives are operating within the guidelines," he said.

McAfee added that he warns people to expect the Sheriff's Department "might try to infiltrate a cooperative or send people in who pretend they're patients."

Jeff Clark, a Bodfish resident and military veteran, said he's in the process of getting his cooperative started. He uses marijuana to help with painful cluster headaches he's had from twice breaking his neck. He has a written doctor's recommendation and a state ID card, he said.

"I think if everybody follows the rules," he said, "everything will work smoothly."

News Hawk- Ganjarden 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: The Bakersfield Californian
Author: STACEY SHEPARD
Copyright: 2009 The Bakersfield Californian

Does anyone know about North Carolina status.

North Carolina house bill 1161. (hb-1161). It has passed the initial reading and was referred to the judiciary committee. The committee will not hear the issue until spring 2015.

Look up your local elections, I have mine and have contacted each one that represents my district and have asked their opinion. Senator Hagan is the most open about it. Tom Tillis is completely against anything marijuana!

I have emailed every member of the judiciary committee a few months ago. No one responded. I plan on using the telephone once their recess is over (not sure when exactly). Pm me of you have any other questions.

........ Disclaimer..... I am neither saying I am, or am not, a Tarheel resident :;):

Back
Top Bottom