Cannabis Oil Giving Epilepsy Patient New Hope

Jacob Redmond

A young woman battling epilepsy has new hope, now that cannabis oil can be sold in Missouri legally.

The state selected two St. Louis area non-profits to produce it in St. Peters and Chesterfield.

The state law allows patients with epilepsy to use the oil as a treatment for seizures.

"She watched all of her friends move forward in their lives getting jobs and moving forward and she feels stuck," said Lisa Magness, mother of Bella, who suffers from epilepsy.

She is 20 years old and is confined to bed most days. Dizzy, in pain and nausea, thanks to her epilepsy medicine.

She's was misdiagnosed all her life until two years ago and her seizures started when she was in kindergarten.

Her mom Lisa says they are hoping that can all change with hemp oil, which is extracted from marijuana, but minus the psychoactive chemical THC, that causes a person to get high.

"It's probably not a guarantee for every patient, but my daughter wants to try," said Magness.

They thought about moving to Colorado to try medical marijuana, but decided against it.

Recently Lisa called a cannabis company in Colorado and they told her to place an order online.

"Then you show up with cash in hand and pay $250 and you take the vial and so when you cross the border just be careful because there will be drug sniffing dogs," she said. "One side of me wants to just bolt to get what my daughter needs, on the other side I know that she needs me and I can't end up in jail."

So instead they will wait to try it legally in the comfort of their own home.

"It's this year, you know, this is good, this is what we've been waiting for," she said.

They have started the application process, but can't find a neurologist to sign off on it, because medical marijuana is still considered to be taboo and a controlled substance.

A St. Peters facility may break ground as soon as next month.

Still no word on exactly where the second location will be.

19204.jpg

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Cannabis oil giving epilepsy patient new hope
Author: Elizabeth Matthews
Photo Credit: None Found

Back
Top Bottom