Family Grateful For Medical Cannabis Bill: 'The Senate Came Through For Us'

Jacob Redmond

With a medical cannabis bill passing through congress this week, relief could soon be on the way to some local families.

Corey Lowe's 13-year-old daughter, Victoria, suffers from chronic seizures and can't speak because of developmental issues stemming from her condition, but with the passage of the medical cannabis bill, Lowe said her family has new hope.

"We can legally treat our daughter," Lowe said. "She can have access to her medicine and we wouldn't have to worry about prosecution."

Gov. Nathan Deal said Friday he planned to sign House Bill 1 – which will decriminalize possession of cannabis oil in Georgia for treating certain medical conditions, including the one Lowe's daughter suffers from – into law once the legislative session ends.

Victoria was diagnosed with mitochondrial disease at an early age and has had seizures almost her entire life – as many as 50 in one day.

"I think we can begin the process to wean off of the addicting pharmaceutical meds," Lowe said, as Victoria prepares to use the medical cannabis oil. "It's going to be a long process."

As Victoria is weaned off the strong medications, Lowe said she expects her daughter to have less of the negative side effects of those drugs.

Cannabis oil isn't new to Lowe and her daughter – they spent last summer in Colorado as medical refugees, where Victoria tried the medication for the first time.

"She had 15 seizures on cannabis oil in the summer over three months, verses 15 seizures in a 30-minute period on no cannabis oil," Lowe said of her daughter's response to the medical cannabis over the summer. "She became more vocal; she spoke for the first time."

But after the failure of a similar bill last year, Lowe wasn't sure HB 1 would pass.

Last session, House Bill 885 passed a vote in the House, but in the final hours of the last day of the session, the bill failed as the two General Assembly chambers couldn't reach a deal.

Last year's medical cannabis bill made its last stop in the Senate committee on Health and Human Services, where it was combined with another bill. The House wasn't in favor of the addition, and as the clock ticked down on the final day of session, the two General Assembly chambers failed to reach an agreement.

Lowe and several other parents and advocates attended session on the day the Senate was set to consider the bill.

"I was nervous how it would go," Lowe said. "Once it finally passed, it was unbelievable. I couldn't believe it; the Senate came through for us and passed House Bill 1."

But the victory was bittersweet, Lowe said, as there are other conditions that were excluded from the bill, leaving many in the state still without the ability to access the medicine.

Autism, fibromyalgia and post traumatic stress disorder were some of the other conditions advocates of the bill were hoping to include at the last minute.

"We knew we were moving forward with House Bill 1 and getting kids and adults with seizures the medicine, and with sickle cell and cancer. But at the same time, people were suffering who could benefit from this medicine, and they weren't included. It was sort of like they were left behind," she said.

Patients suffering from cancer, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis or Lou Gehrig's disease, seizure disorder, multiple sclerosis, Crohn's disease, mitochondrial disease, Parkinson's and sickle cell will be eligible to use medical cannabis under HB 1.

Deal said in a news release Friday he would sign the bill into law, but planned to wait until the session ended to be sure no conflicts arose with other legislation.

"I look forward to the day when I can sign this legislation into law – a day that is coming soon," Deal said. "While many advocates dedicated countless days to this worthy cause, Rep. Allen Peake (R-Macon) deserves special recognition for his selfless devotion to these affected families."

Peake said once the bill is signed by Deal, a state registry will need to be set up for patients who are eligible to be treated by the cannabis oil, which he said will take about 30 to 45 days.

While the medication will be available for select patients, the bill states this will not prohibit employers from having a "zero-tolerance policy" regarding marijuana use.

Deal said Peake was a guiding hand to the General Assembly and a shoulder for suffering families to lean on.

"Today, we're beginning to reap the harvest of that hard work. Soon, families will be reunited and more Georgians will gain access to the treatment they require. I'm proud to see Georgia leading in this way," Deal said.

Deal signed an executive order Friday, directing state agencies to prepare for when the bill takes effect.

"This executive order is the first step in bringing home families who've sought relief elsewhere and for providing new medical solutions for Georgians suffering from debilitating conditions," Deal said. "I've instructed the Georgia Composite Medical Board and the Department of Public Health to begin taking immediate steps ahead of this law's enactment. At the same time, law enforcement, health care providers and other stakeholders should make appropriate preparations."

Peake acknowledged Deal for prioritizing the bill.

"I commend Gov. Deal for taking the initial steps today to prepare our state for HB 1 to become law very soon. I continue to look forward to that day when this bill is signed and our Georgia families can finally come back home," Peake said. "I would like to express my deepest gratitude to Gov. Deal and his staff for seeing this legislation through and making it a priority in the General Assembly."

13649.jpg

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: The Marietta Daily Journal
Author: Michelle Babcock
Photo Credit: Lowe Family
Website: The Marietta Daily Journal - News, Sports, Classifieds, Businesses in Marietta, GA

Back
Top Bottom