Missouri: Current Medical Marijuana Bill A 'Pretty Good Measure'

Jacob Redmond

Medical marijuana may soon only be a prescription away. A bill in the Missouri state government for its legalization is currently up for consideration and may be gaining traction.

Bill HB800 would legalize medical cannabis and create a system for its cultivation and distribution.

Mike Moon, state representative for the 157th district, met with constituents during the lunch hour Friday, April 10, at Keen Bean in Mt. Vernon to discuss the measure.

Of the approximately 15 people in attendance, most expressed support for the bill.

Moon said one of the reasons he held the listening post was to hear where the community stood on the matter.

"Because of the controls that have been established and because of the success I've seen first hand from those who I know, it's apparent there is some medicinal benefit to THC."

THC is the chemical responsible for most of marijuana's psychological effects. It acts much like the cannabis chemicals made naturally by the body, according to the National Institute on Drug Abuse.

"As long as it's used properly and proper oversight is taken, it's probably a pretty good measure. And I think there needs to be some changes, in particular with physician oversight, but otherwise in its present form, with some amendments, I would be able to support that," Moon said. "But I still want to hear from you," Moon said, adding that he had never smoked marijuana and never "experienced the euphoria they talk about."

Moon addressed the concern that marijuana is dangerous, and went on to compare marijuana to alcohol, and the social responsibility that comes with both.

"The government's attempt to regulate alcohol was unsuccessful, so we had the prohibition lifted. Many people like to drink for one reason or another and they like it so much that they get drunk and they get in a car or they do something else that they shouldn't be doing under the influence of alcohol, and they not only hurt themselves but they do something to someone else's property. When they damage someone else's property that's where their personal freedom ends. That's where it's illegal and there should be some repercussions," Moon said. "Can that be done with marijuana, yeah, it can be. Some people get high on marijuana and they drive and they have accidents. And that's a parallel that I think we have to weigh. That's where each individual needs to exercise personal responsibility."

Missouri is one of nine states considering legalizing medical marijuana, the other eight are Alabama, Florida, Iowa, Nebraska, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee and Texas.

States in 2015 that failed a similar bill are Georgia, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Mississippi, North Carolina, North Dakota, Utah and West Virginia.

13903.jpg

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Moon calls current medical marijuana bill ?pretty good measure? - Lawrence County Record : News
Author: Ryan Squibb
Photo Credit: None Found

Back
Top Bottom