North Carolina: Group Pushes For Medical Marijuana Law

Jacob Redmond

Richard Kramer lifted his sleeve to reveal intravenous marks from the chemotherapy treatments he currently is undergoing.

"I feel like I need it medically speaking," the 68-year-old Vietnam veteran said Saturday at a meeting of the the state chapter of the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Law.

A dozen people turned out for the meeting at the Cumberland County Headquarters Library and Public Information Center in downtown Fayetteville.

With the increase in veterans seeking relief from pain, depression and post-traumatic stress disorder by using medical marijuana, Bernie Tubbs has seen no shortage of interest on the N.C. NORML of Fayetteville Facebook page from the military community.

"I'm former military," said Tubbs, the local chapter coordinator. "And I think it's a disservice that our vets should feel like criminals for trying to find solutions to their pain."

Tubbs said he was diagnosed with colon rectal cancer when he was 29 and living in Miami.
Tubbs said he turned to medical marijuana to combat his nausea and, more significantly, to help him keep food on his stomach without regurgitation.

"The fact that people have to resort to buying this on the black market is a crime in itself," Tubbs said.
The need for medical marijuana is not limited to the military community.

After being diagnosed with bipolar disorder and PTSD stemming from incidents of sexual abuse in her childhood, Chelsea Moreland said she was prescribed a series of psychotropic drugs, including one that left her suicidal.

Another drug, she said, brought on seizures while doing little for her severe panic attacks.

Moreland, 22, said she's been off all drugs, with one exception, for the past year.

"I started smoking pot," she said. "And now, even if I start to panic, I still feel like I can breathe."

Earlier this year, the N.C. Legislature shot down a comprehensive medical marijuana bill presented by Rep. Kelley Alexander.

The Mecklenburg County Democrat's N.C. Medical Cannabis Act would have allowed this state's residents to legally obtain medical marijuana with a doctor's recommendation.

Tubbs said he was pleased with Saturday's turnout, which included residents from all walks of life from a pink-haired girl sporting a peace sign tattoo to a couple with two young children in tow.

Near meeting's end, Tubbs wanted to know if anyone had interest in volunteering with the the chapter.
Moreland was the first to raise her hand.

Tubbs said he anticipates the local chapter will gain more members before its second meeting, which he said will be scheduled in about a month.

"The law is not going to get rewritten," he said, "until we demand it."

14554.jpg

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Group pushes for medical marijuana law - Fayetteville Observer: Local News
Author: Brooke Carbo
Photo Credit: Brooke Carbo

Back
Top Bottom