Family Reunited Under Minnesota Medical Marijuana Law

Jacob Redmond

A Wisconsin family torn apart by one son's epilepsy is united once again under Minnesota's medical marijuana law. After six months of living in separate states, the Falk family is getting the treatment much closer to home for their son who so desperately needs it.

The Falk family has been split apart for many months, but for years they have been battling to get through every day. Now, Minnesota's medical marijuana law has brought them back together, and the cannabis oil 6-year-old Danny needs has brought him back his life.

Some say a twin is God's gift of a natural guardian angel. "Olivia is one of his biggest cheerleaders that's for sure," Kim Falk says of her daughter, Danny's twin sister. Olivia and Danny have looked out for each other, even when they've nearly a thousand miles apart.

"We were all constantly stressed with when is Daniel's next seizure," Kim says. "When is the next seizure not going to stop?"

At one year of age, Danny was diagnosed with epilepsy. At his worst he suffered more than two dozen seizures a day.

"He laid on the floor, and did not interact with us. Did not play with toys," Kim says. "He made no sound anymore. He just had seizures and pretty much had no quality of life anymore."

In September, Kim and Danny packed their bags for Colorado. The state's legal medical cannabis oil was their last hope.

"We really didn't have any options left," Kim says. Until Minnesota passed its own version of the law.

"It's awesome. It's really awesome. It is. It was tough being apart," Kim says. "It was pretty traumatic honestly."

Now, they have their boy back, now running around, laughing and even causing trouble.

"The first time he cried it was amazing and I hate to say that but it was amazing," Kim says. "I laughed, because it's like, oh my gosh he has emotion again!"

The two guardian angels are now reunited and Danny has had no epileptic activity for more than six months. A family together, because of one law with one life changing medicine.

"I would consider it," Kim says for other parents going through the same battle. "It's more than we could have hoped for, really."

Daniel has been seizure free for more than six months now. Kim and her husband Nick say they are thrilled for the Rochester dispensary to open this Thursday, and the family moved to Minnesota two weeks ago.

The family is hoping to be active in working to get a federal law passed that legalizes medical marijuana for all families that have been through a similar journey as theirs.

14691.jpg

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Family Reunited under Minnesota Medical Marijuana Law
Author: Ali Killam
Photo Credit: Jennifer Simonson

Back
Top Bottom