Florida: Challenging Traditional Views Of Medical Marijuana With Compassion

Jacob Redmond

It comes as no surprise that support for medical marijuana continues to grow, as discussions surrounding the implementation of the Compassionate Medical Cannabis Act of 2014 continues to heat up.

Recently, Sarasota State Representative Greg Steube filed a bill to expand the state's low THC medical cannabis regime. And, a survey was conducted by St. Pete Polls in late July that showed 68 percent of Florida voters surveyed would support a proposed measure for medical marijuana.

It is becoming inherently clear that there is a growing desire to ensure that those who need marijuana for medicinal purposes are able to access it; however, with the proper safeguards in place to prevent abuse for purely recreational use (especially with the lack of such safeguards, which led to the defeat of Amendment 2).

The Florida Department of Health has a large task ahead of them with selecting who should be able to operate as a low-THC dispensing organization within the five regions of the Sunshine State. And, I do not envy them one bit in this endeavor. However, one applicant who has submitted an application in the Southwest Region of Florida particularly grabbed my attention, enough so that I want to share it with you.

Hugh Hempel, an executive team member of Sun Bulb Company, has a personal mission of bringing medicinal cannabis to patients in need. He has twin daughters who were diagnosed with a rare and fatal neurodegenerative disease (often referred to as Childhood Alzheimer's) that causes daily seizures. In fact, his daughters receive several doses a day of CBD oil to effectively and safely combat their seizures.

Hempel and his wife, Chris, have become nationally-recognized as health care advocates and their story hit home with me. *Edit*

As a father, I can relate to wanting to do everything we can for the health and betterment of our children and the lives they live. And, I am encouraged by the desires of this applicant, in particular, who wants nothing more than to obtain medicinal cannabis for those in need, like his daughters. I encourage you to watch their compassionate video.

ht_seizure_kab_150123_16x9_992.jpg

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Challenging traditional views of medical marijuana with compassion
Author: Peter Schorsch
Photo Credit: ABC News

Back
Top Bottom