FL: Medical Marijuana Dispensary Coming To Bradenton

Katelyn Baker

In his thirty years as a neurologist, Dr. Ronald Aung-Din has written thousands of prescriptions, but on Tuesday he wrote one he's never written before for medical marijuana.

"This is a momentous occasion," said Aung-Din, "in that medical marijuana has come to Florida.

Aung-Din is one of just a few doctors in the state that can recommend patients for the drug, but he marks the start of a trend. The first dispensary owned by Trulieve opened its doors Tuesday in Tallahassee, and locations will be coming to other parts of Florida including Bradenton.

The Department of Health says those who qualify include patients with cancer, or a condition that causes chronic seizures or muscle spasms, but Dr. Aung-Din believes that list should be expanded to include other illnesses.

"This is a learning process," added Aung-Din, "and so I think the gates are going to open in terms of increased uses."

Amendment 2 on November's ballot in Florida is calling for just that, broadening medical cannabis usage to include anyone with a "debilitating" medical condition. It's not without opposition though. Groups like Drug Free Manatee avidly opposes the initiative.

"What's coming in November is entirely different and it's filled with loop holes," said Mareb Favorite of Drug Free Manatee.

They worry expanding medical use could be a gateway to recreational use.

"When people start viewing marijuana as a medicine, then the perception of harm goes down," said Favorite, "so then they start thinking 'Well if it's medicine then why can't I take it?"

Dr. Aung-Din says there's still more research to be done, but expects the medical community to accept medical cannabis as a legitimate alternative

"It's going to be a slow curve," said Aung-Din, "but I think eventually physicians will open up and see the benefits. I myself have seen it."

565e767e758fe_image.jpg

News Moderator: Katelyn Baker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Medical Marijuana Dispensary Coming To Bradenton
Author: Kate Flexter
Photo Credit: None Found

Back
Top Bottom