Grand Daddy Purple

Bruce Wheelman

Legal Advisor
420 Staff
Strain Name: Grand Daddy Purple

When: Dec. 2009

Grade: A-

Type: Indica

Price: $50/8th, $95/qtr., $190/half, $360/oz.

Looks: Extremely tight dark green buds tipped with purple.

Smell: Sharp spicy smell with a hint of fruit/sweetness – the purple/grape scent is almost non-existent.

Taste: The smoke is smooth with the grape flavor coming through, luring you into over-toking due to the high expansion qualities.

Buzz Type: A heavy/typical indica buzz - with a strong couch-locking body high.

Buzz Length: Long – lasted a good 2+ hours.

Overall: I picked this bud up when my dispensary was out of Purple Erkle (PE), since it is a cross of PE and Big Bud. GDP surprised me with the difference from the PE - much spicier flavor, buds are long and pine-cone shaped, and ridiculously dense/tight. The pain relieving aspects was also more prevalent, with other patients commenting on the help GDP provided for back pain and other muscle/joint pains.

Not too much purple color in this grow, but the flavor was obvious....

GDP112.jpg

GDP28.jpg

GDP35.jpg

When: March 2011

Grade: A+

Price: $95/quarter oz

Looks: Purple and green frosty nugs

Smell: Sweet fresh greens

Taste: Smooth grape flavor to the minimally expansive smoke

Buzz Type: Body stone developing to couch lock

Buzz Length: 2+ hours

Best Medicinal Use: Muscle pain and insomnia

Overall: This had to be one of the better grows of Grand Daddy Purple I've come across (darn near as good as the Super GDP I recently reviewed). Had the distinctive coloring and great smell/taste. The first bong hit left my eyes drooping and head/neck feeling a warm glow. The warmth of the buzz spread with each hit until couch lock hit...causing me to just sit back and enjoy my surroundings. I was initially fairly awake when I started smoking the GDP, but quickly relaxed after a few hits. Several more hits, and my body felt limp like a noodle and I soon grew tired. This strain is always a good one for muscle pain and tension, and I was not disappointed with this grow.

GrandDaddyPurple_RVC_3-2011-1.jpg

GrandDaddyPurple_RVC_3-2011-2.jpg

GrandDaddyPurple_RVC_3-2011-3.jpg

GrandDaddyPurple_RVC_3-2011-8.jpg

GrandDaddyPurple_RVC_3-2011-10.jpg

GrandDaddyPurple_RVC_3-2011-11.jpg

GrandDaddyPurple_RVC_3-2011-12.jpg

GrandDaddyPurple_RVC_3-2011-13.jpg

You want a true purple strain with grape flavoring find a good clone only Purple Urkle. Not of that Urkle crossed with whatever. I have a mother I just took 5 clones off of. My last purple grow, even the fellas at the quality of the purple I grew. Very new grower friendly. Responds EXTREMELY well to LST and hydro buckets. Grows massive colas of pure purple nugs that turn purple around week 5 so be patient.

Hope my GDP comes out looking like that. I got 2 clones I'm doing in 3 gallon smart pots TLO style with a layer of Light Warrior, layer of FFOF, layer of Light Warrior, layer of wood ash.

I feel like GDP is all over the place. Some looks amazing and is just so-so, others look OK, and are really amazing what you get out of it. I have pretty much stopped buying it because of that reason. I also think with the explosion of demand, a lot of places started selling bad clones of "GDP" which has caused the end product to be inconsistant. The one you wrote about sounds awesome, reminds me of a batch I had once.

Hope my GDP comes out looking like that. I got 2 clones I'm doing in 3 gallon smart pots TLO style with a layer of Light Warrior, layer of FFOF, layer of Light Warrior, layer of wood ash.

I envy you! GDP is hands down my favorite bud of all time! Unfortunately, I have never been able to find a source for GDP clones around my area. I have been told a few times that a collective was getting some, but in the end they end up with something else that I am not interested in.

The closest I have been able to come is a couple of Purple Urkle clones which are half of the liniage of GDP. About 2 weeks away from putting them in the "Bloom Room" but not before I clone them a few times in case they turn out to be good bud makers. :)

If anyone knows of a source for GENUINE GDP clones in the Central Ca. area, please let me know via a PM!

Thanks in advance! :D

The Grand Daddy Purple strain of Medical Marijuana is typically a cross of Purple Urkle x Big Bud. This specific batch was very weak in appearance and smell upon first look.

If anyone wants to see what this strain looks like in the living state, have a look at my GDP Grow Page!

After my last post here, I was able to secure 3 genuine GDP clones from Northern Cal. I will be posting an update with new photos there by the end of the day today.

GDP is a GREAT strain! So far, it has been one of the most self reliant strains I have grown. Doesn't seem to need or complain about anything. Just keeps growing strong and staying nice and green in the process! :thumb:

KevinAnderson said:
The Grand Daddy Purple strain of Medical Marijuana is typically a cross of Purple Urkle x Big Bud. This specific batch was very weak in appearance and smell upon first look.

Uh...I beg to differ....the last batch I reviewed was pretty darn good compared to other batches of GDP I've had.

Are you in/around Redding, CA? Because that's where this came from, and if not please do not try to review strains via internet pix. Besides...not enough purple and frost for ya??

Just curious, as I put a lot of effort into my pix and reviews...and do my best to give an honest review for my fellow patients.

:peace:

Thanks for the like Goldengoose7.

I completely agree with you 420Cyclist, they mostly are found in Redding, CA.

Like most purple strains the smell is nothing really amazing. It is very hard to describe the smell and quite honestly the best way to put it is if purple had a smell it would smell like GDP. There is a faint sour smell as well but its really hard to distinguish it from the purple.

GDP is so popular and never tiresome. She is a slow girl in veg, likes to take her own time. She doesn't move much in flower, a bit of a stretch, but then she begins one of the best bloom. Harvesting time she has a heavy spears of that are gorgeous, glistening and purple. This GDP smells sweet and a little fruity like grapes and apples. Very dense and it is so smooth and delicious. GDP is pretty potent and the effects are nicely balanced. Overall it's an awesome strain that is versatile for many situation, except for morning and productivity sessions

When: March 2011

Grade: A+

Price: $95/quarter oz

Looks: Purple and green frosty nugs

Smell: Sweet fresh greens

Taste: Smooth grape flavor to the minimally expansive smoke

Buzz Type: Body stone developing to couch lock

Buzz Length: 2+ hours

Best Medicinal Use: Muscle pain and insomnia

Overall: This had to be one of the better grows of Grand Daddy Purple I've come across (darn near as good as the Super GDP I recently reviewed). Had the distinctive coloring and great smell/taste. The first bong hit left my eyes drooping and head/neck feeling a warm glow. The warmth of the buzz spread with each hit until couch lock hit...causing me to just sit back and enjoy my surroundings. I was initially fairly awake when I started smoking the GDP, but quickly relaxed after a few hits. Several more hits, and my body felt limp like a noodle and I soon grew tired. This strain is always a good one for muscle pain and tension, and I was not disappointed with this grow.

GrandDaddyPurple_RVC_3-2011-1.jpg

GrandDaddyPurple_RVC_3-2011-2.jpg

GrandDaddyPurple_RVC_3-2011-3.jpg

GrandDaddyPurple_RVC_3-2011-8.jpg

GrandDaddyPurple_RVC_3-2011-10.jpg

GrandDaddyPurple_RVC_3-2011-11.jpg

GrandDaddyPurple_RVC_3-2011-12.jpg

GrandDaddyPurple_RVC_3-2011-13.jpg

Very nice Grand Daddy Purple, love the shots, if you don't
mind me asking what did you use to get the close up's of the
tetrahy crystals show up nicely. I have a small scope and see the
same and have thought it would be nice to capture that view on a
camera.

tia

Cheers,

camera.

tia

Cheers,

A good microscope. maybe 200x or more would be great to work with.

camera.

tia

Cheers,

I used a USB Scope...has a LED light for illumination and takes shots of the sample via a program on your PC.

Everything else was shot with a Canon 7D and a 100L macro lens

:peace:

Back
Top Bottom