Nirvana's Blackberry: Strain Review

sativa Blackberry

Strain lineage? Black Domina x Raspberry Cough (sativa dominant)

From? Our sponsor, Herbies Headshop

Type? Contrary to what most people think of when they hear Blackberry (the kush version that is more indica), this strain is a highly exotic sativa dominant hybrid

Appearance? Has potential to turn purple when exposed to colder conditions for prolonged periods, contains a high calyx to leaf ratio

Smell? During flower, the terpene profile equates to the essence of fruit, specifically a raspberry fruit that has undertones of black pepper. No skunk at all!

Taste? Subtle & passive flavors form a complex raspberry pepper flavor that epitomizes the traits of an exotic sativa

Type of Buzz? Highly Euphoric with Cerebral numbness. Racing thoughts about the Universe in a highly euphoric and positive light. Highly recommended for people suffering from depression. This strain may change your life. See the world in a new light.

Length of Buzz? 30-45 minutes of peak high followed by peaceful diminishment and re-establishment of clear headedness & spirit, as this strain seems to provide high CBD traits that are conducive towards neuromodulation, memory, and thinking. Perfect for the morning time, allows you to function throughout the day without avid couchlock (harvest dependent)

Best Medicinal Use? Works excellent as an alternative treatment for depression and anxiety, stimulates appetite. Provides a new insight on life in a way that other strains cannot

Overall opinion? Now that I've been growing this strain for over 3 years, I have been able to cultivate through several different phenotypes each with different specificity for bud structure and terpene profiling. Each time we have "the essence of fruit", one phenotype was extra sour (which I would consider the sought after phenotype), one was pure raspberry with no spice, and one had the raspberry spice flavor. These flavors are subtle and passive, and I would recommend that this strain be consumed not too long after harvest. Only a minimal cure is required, in order to salvage the delicate and subtle terpenes which may evaporate easier than other strains (such a skunk). If you're looking to grow an extremely fruity strain to help treat depression, then this is your strain.

Growers notes? This strain grows big plants with filled out & large colas. It is clearly a strain that needs to be grown outdoors & organically under the Sun, for the proper sativa traits that provide avid euphoria to really build up. Although, it grows big plants, growing this strain to perfection is quite challenging, possibly more suited for the experienced/advanced gardener. After growing this strain for a few years, I've only had a few batches that came out exactly right. Flowering times are relatively long in order to finish complete ripening, up to 11 weeks of bloom if flowered naturally, down to about 8-9 if force flowered.

Photo of sativa Blackberry in vegetation?

IMG_68458.JPG

Photos of sativa Blackberry in bloom?

IMG_64825.JPG
IMG_65006.JPG

Photos of sativa Blackberry ready to vaporize?

IMG_71739.JPG
IMG_71758.JPG

Other photos of sativa Blackberry?

IMG_224610.JPG

IMG_23178.JPG
IMG_23597.JPG
IMG_23666.JPG
IMG_23699.JPG
IMG_249413.JPG

Overall I was very pleased with this strain, although I never got it to achieve the "pure 100% purple" of the buds, it was still a very good strain overall am very happy that I was able to experience it, and several different phenotypes throughout the years. :Namaste:

Thanks for reading! :thanks:

currently, i am awaiting three fem seeds of dutch passions (via herbies) "orange hill speicial". otherwise, since i ran this one out, i may just pop seed number two, of the fem blackberry, and see if i get a different pheno. anyone know how many phenos, this one has? or, if fem seeds, have the same number of phenos, as regs? i would think this would be the same......one thing, i really liked about this, that i agree on, is it was a easy one to trim. just nip-nip-nip done.

I am growing Nirvana's Blackberry this year, the seed popped easily and the seedling is about 3 inches tall at the moment. Most of what I've read about this Nirvana strain is that it is an indica-leaning hybrid. So I was interested to read your post, where you say you grew a sativa-dominant Blackberry by Nirvana. Your description of the plant you grew, in particular of the smell you describe as having "no skunk at all", sounds like you maybe found or discovered an unrecognized phenotype, which as you describe it is sativa-dominant. Sounds like a very special plant.

What I find amazing is that you grew that same phenotype 3 seasons in a row. Where did you get your seeds: Herbies Headshop? Did the seeds come in a Nirvana package? How did you select this phenotype? Did you select for that phenotype by popping 10 seeds and growing out to select a few plants for a particular sativa-feature they had? Or did you just grow what you got in the mail from Herbies Headshop?

Nirvana apparently only has 1 Blackberry strain, feminized only, and stated to be indica-dominant. Also, Herbies Headshop (where you bought your seeds) sells Nirvana Blackberry fem, stating that it is "indica dominant".

So if you're certain you bought Nirvana seeds and found a phenotype of Nirvana's Blackberry that is more sativa, that is very interesting. There are other breeders selling at least 40 strains with "blackberry"-genetics, but 90% of them are mostly indica with only about 10% sativa. So there would have to be a sativa phenotype out there. My question is how you found her.

I would really like to learn from your experience with this strain. Sorry, just trying to figure you what I can expect from the Nirvana Blackberry seeds I bought from Cannapot... Thanks for a response!

Emeraldo

On further checking I see Sativa Seedbank, which is a joint venture of Nirvana's, has bred a sativa-leaning Blackberry. And Nirvana itself only sells the indica-leaning, at least that's how it seems today. Maybe at one time, when you bought your seeds, Nirvana sold both.

I agree with @Lester Freeman that Nirvana's Blackberry is a great high. She stands out now as one of the best of my 2020 West Facing Balcony Grow. Berry-earthy aroma and wonderful head & body effect. Definitely indica-leaning. It is not related to "Black Domina" (an almost pure indica strain by Sensi) but is a cross of Raspberry Cough with a clone only strain, Black Domino. It was such a great strain to grow and enjoy, I am thinking of growing Blackberry again this year. Here are a few photos of my Blackberry:

Back
Top Bottom