Neuropathic Pain

jazzcat

I used opioids for pain related to ankylosing spondylitis for more than 25 years. Approximately 3½ years ago the pain in my shoulders became intolerable and I had to stop working. After seeing many doctors over a three year period they finally figured out that the pain was caused by impinged nerves at my clavicle and pectoral region - not caused by ankylosing spondylitis at all! My ulnar and median nerves are pinched in two places on my right side and two places on my left. The pain is constant, moderately severe and affects my shoulders/arms/elbows/hands/fingers.

Codiene contin, oxycontin, etc. became ineffective so my doctor prescribed fentanyl (transdermal patch). That drug, along with lyrica (anti-convulsant) and nortriptyline (anti-depressant) helped me somewhat but the fentanyl doses doubled and then tripled. I gained 25 pounds and developed side effects that made me in a constant cold sweat, extremely sleepy and dozy.

The side effects were clearly worse than the pain. With my doctor's help I weaned myself off the drugs. After three weeks of withdrawal I lost 35 pounds and regained much of my alertness. The withdrawal, however, was horrible - sleeping, or rather trying to sleep on towels which became drenched in sweat every couple of hours; extreme cold chills; no appetite, etc.. I will NEVER use an opioid again!

The side effects were gone but now the pain was turned way up. I began using cannabis and now use approximately a gram a day. Early on I suffered thru the day and smoked in the evening, ending off around midnight when I dosed heavily and slept like a baby. Now I use a one-hit and smoke tiny amounts every couple of hours.

I found some strains were better for pain relief than others, but because I have to buy off the street, I don't know what I'm smoking. Some strains caused the pain to increase but the euphoria adequately quelled the pain.
Recently I bought some kush (not sure which strain) and it works well. Initially the pain is somewhat magnified but ten minutes later it is almost forgotten. There is a recent Canadian study that addresses this (see links).

YouTube - Dr. Mark Ware Discusses Cannabis As Medicine_Part One.mov

Study: Smoking cannabis (marijuana) reduces chronic pain

We need a better understanding of the specific benefits of various strains and the affects of secondary cannabinoids. There are some efforts in this area, but an official standardization by a government sanctioned organization is required.

Oh ya.... and make medical marijuana more accessible. Doctors in many Canadian provinces are warned by the Canadian and/or provincial medical associations to stay clear of MMAR forms (prescibing MM). I live in Alberta and I might as well asked my doctor to prescribe TNT suppositories. He wished me luck with the weed and suggested I return to using the toxic and addictive poison previously prescribed.

I am forced to support criminal activity, use product that is of unknown origin and risk losing my ability to travel to the USA to visit my family. Why can't I use a naturally occurring herbal remedy that has been used for tens of thousands of years????? HOW LOUD DO I HAVE TO SCREAM THIS FACT?????? :tommy:

Power to the people!

Sadly my Canadian brother, marijuana is illegal because of the country below you. A man named Harry Anslinger in all good intentions posed to the U.N. a treaty to criminalize cannabis world wide.(well not really world wide but almost) Nixxon later decided that to turn attention away from his terrible term he would fight a war on drugs causing crackdown in most countries.

Now we see that Marijuana has a low addiction rate, many medical qualities, and has tremendous industrial use(well we knew that before it was illegal but we have been trying to remind people). Even with these boons though world wide Decriminalization would require a U.N. vote that I'm afraid as things stand would probably fail due to government being afraid of looking stupid for making it illegal in the first place. Wish they would just grow a pair, admit their grand parents had insufficient evidence at the time, and tax the shit out of it like they do tobacco. That way I can fix the pain in my neck without dealing with criminals, and thus becoming one by association.

I've had a similar rant on my journal and I definitely "feel" your pain because I also struggle with neuropathic pain on my left side, mainly the ulnar nerve, due to an accident in childhood.

It is one of the reasons I've decided to take the risk and grow a plant of my own. This is medication that works.

Smoketahchoke is right "Wish they would just grow a pair, admit their grand parents had insufficient evidence at the time, and tax the shit out of it like they do tobacco. That way I can fix the pain in my neck without dealing with criminals, and thus becoming one by association".

Thank you very much for posting this.

:peace:

Back
Top Bottom