Smoking Marijuana - as an anti-asthmatic?

HigherDrifter

I've heard and read information regarding smoked Marijuana being an anti-asthmatic.

I have a close friend who has been suffering from asthma for as long as I have known him. I can't tell you how many times I've had to rush him to the VA Emergency room (he's a Vietnam Vet) when he has serious bouts of asthma.

He was a regular Primatene user until it was banned 3~4 years(?) ago. He has since been to several doctors via the VA and they keep prescribing these steroid based medicines (inhalers and pills) that do help with his asthma, but, the side effects (water retention, his feet swell up, etc.,) weigh heavy on his mind and body and he hates taking them to the point where he stops taking them and he starts back up with the asthmatic breathing problems.

I've talked with him several times about trying Cannabis as an alternative to all these stupid steroids, but...he's a hard nut to crack sometimes. He wants solid proof that smoking a doobie is gonna help him.

If there's any asthmatic people smoking/vaporizing Marijuana here in 420 Land or the internet in general, I sure would like your input on this - whatever help I can find to convince my friend that smoking/vaporizing Marijuana might be a viable alternative to all this steroid crap he's been taking for the last 3 years.

Thanks.

Re: Smoking Marijuana - as an anti-astmatic?

I deal with asthma on a daily basis. It depends on the strain. Some strains open me up, and others close me off badly, and I'll need to use my inhaler.

I try to avoid the ones that constrict my breathing.

:winkyface:

Re: Smoking Marijuana - as an anti-astmatic?

Some strains open me up, and others close me off badly, and I'll need to use my inhaler.

I try to avoid the ones that constrict my breathing.

I appreciate your response. :thanks:

So...which usually opens you up? These strains you're referring to: are they domminant Indicas or Sativas?

Do you stick with certain THC/CBD/CBN ratios?

I could really use some specific information as to which type of Marijuana (Indicas or Sativas) would be beneficial for asthmatics since I will be growing them for my friend along with what I grow FOR myself (which will be dominant/landrace Sativas).

For example, I'm not the type who takes pleasure in seeking out and smoking/growing every single strain available. If I grow a particular breed/strain/whatever I'll stick with it for a while before trying something else. If by some odd chance the particular breed I grow for myself (Mexicana, Eldorado, Colombian, Thai - dom or landrace Sativas) will help my friend with his asthma then we'd stick with that.

Had to take my friend into the ER earlier today.

Doctors finally got around to informing him that he's got emphysema.

Wonder what took them so long. I've known for some time.

Turned out not to be Asthma at all.

Them doctors for the VA out here are fucking quacks, both at the clinic and the hospital. They've been keeping my friend running 'round in circles since he started going there 3 years ago. Heck, they even kept on insisting my buddy's a cigarette smoker, even after he, I, and his 2 sisters told them all several times that HE DOES NOT SMOKE. HELLO!

"Uh duh...he's got the typical symptoms as someone who smokes cigarettes...uh duh, it can only be from smoking cigarettes, uh...duh, can't be anything else...duh. Uh...duh, we're the experts here; what we say is law, uh...duh.....uh, huh, but in the meantime, help yourself to some of our drugs. They're good for you. Try some of them steroids. They'll make you strong and healthy...uh...duh."

Ha, it takes less than 200 micrograms of inhaled delta-9 thc to induce bronchodialation. It would be a great medication for asthmatics if it came in aerosol form like primatene mist, however, we presently have to vape it or smoke it. We call it medical mmj however who knows what residual chemicals are still present when smoked. Most of us have no access to pharmaceutical grade mmj unless we grow it oursellves, that is, plants grown and processed with strict standards like modern drugs found in the present pharmacopedia. I believe that pharmaceutical grade cannabis (strain specific) inhaled in aerosol form would not only induce bronchodialation that could last more than 4 hours for asthmatics, but it would be a better alternative to inhaled corticosteriods that would protect lung tissue from environmental pollution and to help the lungs heal from the abuse of smoking.

I'm from Australia and hav been a daily MJ user for 10 years. I always had severe asthma as a child and as a teen was always told if i smoked marijuana i would hav an asthma attack that could be fatal. What a load of crap. 10 yrs going strong. I rarely ever use any asthma medication. Some mornings if i wake up short of breath i hav a bong and my airways open instantly. Couldn't tell you any strains as we dont really know the names or anything like that but 99% is always indica dominant for sure. Hope your mate sees the light and takes the plunge. He will never look back

I'm from Australia and hav been a daily MJ user for 10 years. I always had severe asthma as a child and as a teen was always told if i smoked marijuana i would hav an asthma attack that could be fatal. What a load of crap. 10 yrs going strong. I rarely ever use any asthma medication. Some mornings if i wake up short of breath i hav a bong and my airways open instantly. Couldn't tell you any strains as we dont really know the names or anything like that but 99% is always indica dominant for sure. Hope your mate sees the light and takes the plunge. He will never look back

The fact is you continue to suffer from asthma. Even though smoking relieves your asthma temporarily you are leaving tars and other residual compounds in the lungs that add to the toxic load and increase inflammation. This eventually will weaken your immune response. Cannabis is anti-inflammatory and a powerful bronchodialator but it is most effective as a medicine when it works internally and systemically. You will not be able to smoke enough medicine to act systemically and you risk even more harm to the alveoli because they are already inflammed by the disease itself. The therapeutic dose of cannabis extract to control the inflammation and constriction caused by the asthma must be taken mouth. Most asthmatics have both intrinsic and extrinsic triggers so diet and exercise are very important in treatment of the disease. If you are an asthmatic smoking cannabis several times a day to be able breathe there is a very good chance it will eventually catch up with you. That means smoking could cause a gradual worsening of your condition. Aerosol delivery would be much safer for treatment of symptoms.

Back
Top Bottom