The moon & flowering

chirpin

Does anybody know what effect the moon has (if any) on a weed plant, especially during flowering? Any input greatly appreciated.:thanks:

Many thanks Dean. I have asked this question before over the years & until now wasn't able to get a definitive answer. I love this site!!!:peace:

i would assume plants have evolved so full moonlight wont effect the cycle. although if they start to bud under a full moon it may be enough light to slow the transition a little...

Makes sense Flurple. A full moon where I live is so bright I can go fishin off the beach without any artificial light. Thanks again champ!!!:goodjob:

the amount of light one needs to see and the amount of light a plant needs for photosynthesis is a huge difference. the eye only needs enough light to be able to detect depth, color, etc. a plant needs enough light in order to break and make chemical bonds, its a whole lot more energy than the eye needs.
so all this being said, even though the full moon provides a lot of light for use to see during the night, that same full moon wont provide near enough light to support photosynthesis. so to the plant it might as well be a regular night, now i know some plants do use the full moon light to help with time mating cycles but to my knowledge moon light still doesnt affect our cannabis plants enough to notice.

Greetings & :welcome: Greenmonkey,
That was the most awesome answer to any question that I've ever asked.
Thanks heaps mate!!!:goodjob::nicethread:

The plant will load up on resins and moisture during a full moon, making it optimally ripe, thus more desirable to harvest during that time. It has nothing to do with the moon's reflection of light, but the gravitational pull of the moon that creates the tides.

good point greenmonkey, but i have also read that at night a hormone is produced that allows the plant to keep track of when to start budding. it cant be photosynthesis because it is made at night and the daylight destroys it...

once the days become short enough the hormone reaches a critical level in the plant and it starts to bud. i think the moon will effect the budding cycle... even if it is only a tiny bit.
i would like to see the light of a full moon simulated on a plant throughout the entire bud cycle

also it sounds like irish and you may also have another point, about the mating cycles and optimum ripeness. a full moon harvest sounds like something i would like to try

Cheers Irish, I will definately keep that in mind come harvest time. At the moment my plants greatest enemy is my cat. The bloody thing keeps jumping up on my pots & sitting on my plants. I wiped citronella oil around the outside top of the pot. We will see how that goes. Nice to meet you Irish!!!:allgood:

check out this thread, post #5 it shows how much light the moon produces,
Candle light

i don't know if the moon affects the grow, the moon has been there for a long time and cannabis has still been growing outside just fine for a long time... :cheesygrinsmiley:

It depends. Flowering starts here in late July/early August. If you get a full moon at that time it can knock flowering back more than a week,IMO.

I could never control the moon,but I used to take my pellet gun and shoot out any of those damned sodium dusk to dawn lights within site of the patch. Those damned things can knock flowering back a month if they're close enough to the grow. Plus you can't see the stars for 'em. Rotten damned things.

G'day Firestone, appreciate your input. My nieghbour's back porch light throws a bit of a scary glow over the fence line where my garden is located. While my plants wont get big enough to be seen over the fence, do you think this residual light could effect flowering? I thinks it's a 75watt incandescent globe at about 8-10 metres from the fence. Thanks again mate!!!:ganjamon:

i think you will be fine... if they do poke over just supercrop em or LST. also i have seen plants where half of it stays in veg and half will bud due to a street light or neighbors window. so if some of your plant does get too much light, at least the part in the dark will still get you some goods

Some say September, I say October. By about mid April most guys have harvested. Thats on the western side of Oz. Maybe one of my eastern states brother's (or sister's) might be able to confirm when they start planting. The climate in eastern Oz varies greatly from state to state where as in the west the climate is pretty much maritime excluding the far north. Hope that helps Firestone. Feel free to ask more questions about Oz. Happy to answer if I can & if I don't know, I'll try & find out.:peace:

Chirpin - I use the full moon to apply nutrients to my outdoor plants. Learnt this from someone who is into Biodynamic growing. Also as far as an East Coast grow goes, when I lived in Queensland, I started growing my crops in 2 stages, early spring (late August) and a second in December. I had 1 crop of 2-3mtr plants in Feb starting to flower and the late rplanted plants get to about 2mtrs. Hope that gives you some help?

Most interesting Kriss. I got a good feeling about applying nutes on a full moon. Hope this doesn't sound like a silly question but do you mean application specifically at night, or just in a full moon phase?

Back
Top Bottom