How can I force my plants to bud?

HazeMan

I have a few plants outdoors that I planted in April and they are growing quickly, but the budding isn't going as I had thought. It is now Sept. 1 and the buds are almost just beginning to form. One of the plants is tall (like 10 feet or so) and it keeps growing up, like the shoots just keep getting longer but its not really budding. Is there anyway I can kickstart the budding process and push it into full gear? I would have thought by this time the buds would be atleast an inch or more, but they are only a few centimeters and they barely smell. I know that the budding process happens when the light cycle is shortened, but with previous plants, the buds were fairly big by the time of Sept. Any help or tips are appreciated. Thanks

Hows the light pollution? Is there any light on/near the plants at night?

Do you know the strain? might just be a long flowering sativa.

Depends a lot on your latitude. You are not seeing Any Pistols at all?

Are you feeding them nitrogen? If so stop it.

If you had a reasonably sized plant you could put garbage cans on them in the evening to fake them out. But if you have 10 footers I think you are screwed. I do not know what you have for winters over there, but if you live in a northern or wet climate you sound like you are making some nice rope trees.

Good luck none-the-less

There isn't much light pollution if any. The spot there in gets pretty dark at night. The plants definitely look like sativa strains but I have no definite answer to the strain. They were bag seeds (good bag seeds), my friend said the bud was haze, but who knows. The smallest plant which is about 4 feet has the biggest buds of them all at about 1/2 an inch. The biggest one's buds are so small I can almost barely tell they are buds, they are like preflower status. If they were a long flowering sativa, how soon could I be expecting the buds to start taking off? Would these be done by the end of Oct? I thought these would be done well before the first frost but Im getting nervous now. Thanks

Yes, all the plants have pistols all over. They are just fairly small based on what Im used to this time of year. I am going to try and upload pictures later to show. I live in New Hampshire, don't know the latitude, but I am not elevated a whole lot. I mean I don't live on a mountain or anything. What do you mean good rope trees? Like I'd be lucky to get a hemp rope out of them? I have roughly 2 months left of grow weather so I hope they jumpstart.

You are in the same boat as most of us trying to ripen buds in a northern climate. We all watch and wait and many of us have to cut early. Look at my thread in my signature, look at my outdoor buds. Those pictures were taken a couple days ago. I do expect some good budding to occur in the next two months. We just have rain here usually for winter, but that is bad enough. Many of us have to cut early if we do not have a way to cover them from the rain. The problem with a ten footer is you cannot cover it. But just like the amazing growth you seen in the summer you will see amazing bud development in the fall. You may not get them to the optimum trichome clarity by harvest, but you will have some weed. Such is the case of outdoor weed grown in a northern climate. Ideally you need a greenhouse to grow weed in the north so that you can go into November for harvest.

Just watch them and see how they are doing. Even if you have to harvest them early (most likely you well) you can make some hash and have that to fall back on.

Sorry for the rope comment, but if you do not get buds that is all you really have.

They are growing in the ground, but I am not really feeding them much of anything. I had some left over nutes that my old hydro kit came with for fruits and veggies. Its like 5-5-5 or something but I haven't been feeding on schedule or anything. I've fed them maybe 3-4 times the whole summer. The soil I have is pretty good I think. Mix of humus, organic soil, and a little seaweed fert. I took some pics I'll put them up in a little while.

And Gdog, I took a look at your pics and mine seem to be in the same boat. The buds on the smaller one are more or less the same size.

sounds like you have killer soil. Should be good.

I'd try maybe feeding some bloom booster, or a fert heavy in the P and K. Might help get them motivated towards bigger bud production.

Honestly, would most likely make little difference, but might help some. Easy to do and worth a shot. Good luck bud.

Not much you can do but leave it to nature at this time and hope for the best. Your ten footer will probably get taller in flower. Whatever you get now you get. You could give them some blooming nutes, but no Nitrogen. Can't wait to see pics.

Good luck

The spot there in gets pretty dark at night.

The phrase "Gets pretty dark at night" throws up a red flag for me. Have you grown successfully there before?

howdy fellers...

yep deffo sounds like a sativa dominant strain. 10 foot + haze rumors...just my 2 cents.

finished by October. maybe if your lucky some haze strains can go til December.
Reeferman Seeds said:
This strain has the biggest stretch out of almost all other strains - it can grow huge if allowed to do so..

Flowering Time : Long
Outdoor Harvest : December
Height : Tall
Characteristics : Huge stretching original Haze genetics

I've seen photos of guys using light weight carports for frost protection. They replace the dark tarpaulin with a translucent Visqueen add a little ceramic heater and it's on like Parmesan.

I am looking at a similar situation w/a couple of Silver Haze girls. If nothing else, I plan on making a house out of PVC pipe, easy to do. Then, just custom make a jacket out of thick black plastic and light dep them babies... that is probably what I am gonna do w/mine, I just made a post looking for other ideas.
Good luck w/your green endeavors my friend... OldSchooler out!

I hope you are doing well w/your garden HazeMan? One thing that I am trying w/my late Silver Haze' is, I have been giving them extra Phosphorous (it's the middle number) in an attempt to get them strated... hopefully! I have started giving them couple of handfuls of Super Triple Phosphate.... it is 0-45-0 and so far so good. I have applied it once the day before yesterday and... wait for it... YES, I can see them pushing hairs and pods, much better than they were.
I have 400 gallon containers, you would want to use less depending on the size of your containers. I know that shit isn't organic but... I feel that as sparsely as I am using it, the organics I use will be dominant in the end and there will be no trace of chems!
Anyhow, I didn't receive any help in my thread so, I figured I would share my findings here in your thread instead, I hope that doesn't offend the OP.
Shit, I just tried to take some pics so peeps can see first hand but... I will have to wait till my kid wakes up, my camera won't get me the close ups I need to make my point.
I will try to upload some later... gotta get to watering and primping... back laters!

New Hampshire....tick tock. You need something faster my friend. I've done outdoor Sativas for a few years now...in the S.E.. My earliest with March germinating is Halloween. Most go deep into November or early December. I'm afraid the cold is gonna get you :surf:
New Hampshire....the name makes me shiver ;)

Back
Top Bottom