Topping fimming or tying down?

stoned snake

i i have a 4 ft bueaty growing outdoors but im worried about stealth it haas bout month and a half of veg and will prob gain another n2-3 ft its in a sunny location so im wondering can sum 1 post a pic guide or a guide how to tie plants down cause i want a biger yeild and the internodes are gettign a bit big for my liking and it isnt developing many other stems ecept for the main stem so a pic guide to fimming toppping or tieing down would be apreciated

I would just tie it down since this wont stress it much if any.
just do it gradually, Don't bend it completely over or you will be sad when it snaps. TRUST ME I know.

You can also pinch the tops to make it shoot out side branches.

peace
wwonka

A good way to bend it is to tie some string around the top of the plant below the top bud.
Then tie the other end to a weight and slowly over a few weeks make the string shorter,and it will be ok

Tie downs for sure. I only have this problem when I start growing tall sativas

Topping vs. tying: Either way it will make the plant shorter and it will tend to branch more - but if you top it you've just removed a partial source of your yield.

You tell me.

[EDIT: Wow this thread is almost two years old! I guess they've figured it out already lol.]

Topping vs. tying: Either way it will make the plant shorter and it will tend to branch more - but if you top it you've just removed a partial source of your yield.

You tell me.

[EDIT: Wow this thread is almost two years old! I guess they've figured it out already lol.]
When growing outdoors,
Topping doesn't make your plant shorter, and it doesn't take from your yield either it doubles it for every time you top it....

just a little tid bit for ya

When growing outdoors,
Topping doesn't make your plant shorter, and it doesn't take from your yield either it doubles it for every time you top it....

just a little tid bit for ya

Huh? I understand that it tends to make the plant branch - but so does tying the growing tips down and the tied plant doesn't have the top of itself suddenly come up missing it just keeps on adding to what was already there.

I could be wrong (I often am lol) but I'm guessing that if we each get a clone from the same mother... And I make mine bush through tying, and you choose to top it about 10 times, your yield won't be 1024 times as much as mine.

When you top the node it splits it and turns one node into two nodes, when you tie a plant down it gives the lower nodes a chance to grow out and become tops. So either way your increasing your yield. I personally bend my stocks to allow the lower nodes more light and i also top them when they are about 1 ft tall. Just because when you top the node comes up " missing" shouldn't deter someone from doing it, they come back pretty quick and there are two instead of one.

Topping is a form of mutilation whether you want to admit it or not. most strains are stabalized enough to handle some of the stress topping or fimming causes but there are some out there that will go hermie within a week of removing the top. Tieing the plant down removes the stress and gives you the same result. I'm not sure about the rest of you on here but I want as much yield as I can coach out of each plant and IMO stressing a plant is a sure fire way to reduce that goal if not eliminating it all together.

And fasts...thanks for the props but for every little I know now...I have so much more to learn in the future. I've playing with this hobby for a long time and learned a lot but I'm not even close to being a expert. Most of what I know I learned early on and from a older grizzled outdoor grower that stated that if I wasn't so good at humping supplies he'd have me replaced with a monkey.lol That was about 20 years ago or so though.lol He's since stated that I learned some of my lessons well. But believe me, I still go to this old fart at times when I have problems I can't figure out. he still knows his shit even if he doesn't recognize me all the time.:rofl:

I personally top em at very early stage(when they got like 3rd ot 4th floor) and start to tie em down later on, i dunno bout 6 weeks or so after transplant. Every branch and sub branch tied down for maximum sun. This way i get huge bushy plants that than provide me with buds for whole year or more. I even topped all the branches last year on one Big Bud strain and results were amazing. I`we never before even seen such monster of a weed. Plant was also tied down like i mentioned but later on.
Personally i think that both topping and tying down will produce best results.
Sure plant will suffer some stress when topped but you will see branches splitting two way in few days, not such a set back compared to extra bud you get.

I can already tell you my results. When you remove only first top you get 2 top branches and with that 2 top biggest buds. When you continue to top branches, but must be done in early stage when branch is still relatively small, you get 2 branches out of every branch and those branches will probably make their own branches. So you got a big bushy plant. And that way you also get many top buds that are much bigger than the rest. Considering that you tied down all branches. I stop topping at some point tho, cant do it indefinitely, atleast not outside. And to much topping may result in to much stress, so gotta learn when to stop. Tying down goes through all the growth tho, till the very end.

When you leave them to grow on their own, you get only 1 top bud, in most cases not much branches, altho some plants with good location, soil and a bit of luck can produce impressive yield. I`we seen that happen but by my experience not that often.

I used to leave em grow like that, on their own. Went to check one day and plants were bit demolished by the storm and the ones with tops being destroyed grew 2 branches instead of only single one.
That lead me to topping plants. Had no internet here and stuff like that back than so i learned the old way.

Well maybe your experiment will prove me wrong :smokin:

any good tutorials or something for fimming a plant though?i really want to try it but i have no idea how and ive been looking for info but to no avail

Top and tie if you want to keep them stealthy. The one downside to early/regular topping is it messes with the plants hormonal balance,leading to more males if you're growing from seed.

If it's a short Indica or Indica cross you can do the topping after you cull the males.

Sativas are tougher to work with. The things can be 6 to 10 feet plus tall before they start to show sex in fertile soil and full sunlight. You can either radically top them,taking off 18-24 inches of the main stem after you cull the males,(some folks I know top three feet off large plants.),or you can start to tie the main stem down when the plants reach about 2 feet tall and the stem is still pliable. Radical topping throws the lower branches into overdrive and makes it look less conspicuous from those low flying helicopters. Tying means you have to visit your plots regularly,which in these days of set and forget cammo cameras used by hunters and LEO really ups your risk of getting popped.

BTW,you can encourage what lower branches you want to grow and where by merely removing the fan leaves at the nodes of the emerging branches on the main stem and fimming the top of the main stem. You can make the plant look like a crazy high yielding weed Menorah,by simply removing the right fan leaves.

Good luck and keep your eyes open.

Back
Top Bottom