Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Topping fimming or tying down?

Topping fimming or tying down?

i i have a 4 ft bueaty growing outdoors but im worried about stealth it haas bout month and a half of veg and will prob gain another n2-3 ft its in a sunny location so im wondering can sum 1 post a pic guide or a guide how to tie plants down cause i want a biger yeild and the internodes are gettign a bit big for my liking and it isnt developing many other stems ecept for the main stem so a pic guide to fimming toppping or tieing down would be apreciated
    be safe love everyone evan the cops

Its Not A War On Weed Its A War On People

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth,
    he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest.

Never believe anything you think.

Re: topping fimming or tying down?

I would just tie it down since this wont stress it much if any.
    just do it gradually, Don't bend it completely over or you will be sad when it snaps. TRUST ME I know.

You can also pinch the tops to make it shoot out side branches.

peace
    wwonka

A good way to bend it is to tie some string around the top of the plant below the top bud.
    Then tie the other end to a weight and slowly over a few weeks make the string shorter,and it will be ok
    The more we know,the more we grow

Blog Entries

I personally have the best success with tie downs.
    Dedicated Contributor
    420 Magazine Creating Cannabis Awareness Since 1993.
    GROW ROOM - HERE
    HOW TO GROW MARIJUANA - HERE
    GALLERY PIC UPLOAD GUIDE - HERE

Support the cause!

Top it, fimm it, and tie it down.

^ Awsome way to stress your plant man, why didnt I think of that last time I wanted to destroy a crop .

Tie your plant down man. Look up LST using the search feature.

Tie downs for sure. I only have this problem when I start growing tall sativas

Blog Entries

T D
    420 Magazine News Team
    Creating Cannabis Awareness Since 1993
    http://www.420Magazine.com

420 Magazine - Your Best Choice For Cannabis News

Submit a News Article or Event
    Follow us on Twitter, YouTube and Facebook

420 Member of the Month (Oct 10') TorturedSoul's Avatar
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity, but don't rule out malice.
    Blog Entries

Topping vs. tying: Either way it will make the plant shorter and it will tend to branch more - but if you top it you've just removed a partial source of your yield.

You tell me.

[EDIT: Wow this thread is almost two years old! I guess they've figured it out already lol.]
    Respectfully,
    Tortured Soul
    Apathy is evil
    "At the end of the season of sorrows comes the time of rejoicing. Spring, like a well-oiled clock, noiselessly indicates this time." -Roger Zelazny

HELP by visiting our sponsors
    PARTICIPATE by reading, learning, & teaching in our forums
    DECIDE by voting in our contests

Quote Originally Posted by TorturedSoul View Post
    Topping vs. tying: Either way it will make the plant shorter and it will tend to branch more - but if you top it you've just removed a partial source of your yield.

You tell me.

[EDIT: Wow this thread is almost two years old! I guess they've figured it out already lol.]
    When growing outdoors,
    Topping doesn't make your plant shorter, and it doesn't take from your yield either it doubles it for every time you top it....

just a little tid bit for ya

420 Member of the Month (Oct 10') TorturedSoul's Avatar
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity, but don't rule out malice.
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SoupDizzle View Post
    When growing outdoors,
    Topping doesn't make your plant shorter, and it doesn't take from your yield either it doubles it for every time you top it....

just a little tid bit for ya
    Huh? I understand that it tends to make the plant branch - but so does tying the growing tips down and the tied plant doesn't have the top of itself suddenly come up missing it just keeps on adding to what was already there.

I could be wrong (I often am lol) but I'm guessing that if we each get a clone from the same mother... And I make mine bush through tying, and you choose to top it about 10 times, your yield won't be 1024 times as much as mine.
    Respectfully,
    Tortured Soul
    Apathy is evil
    "At the end of the season of sorrows comes the time of rejoicing. Spring, like a well-oiled clock, noiselessly indicates this time." -Roger Zelazny

HELP by visiting our sponsors
    PARTICIPATE by reading, learning, & teaching in our forums
    DECIDE by voting in our contests

When you top the node it splits it and turns one node into two nodes, when you tie a plant down it gives the lower nodes a chance to grow out and become tops. So either way your increasing your yield. I personally bend my stocks to allow the lower nodes more light and i also top them when they are about 1 ft tall. Just because when you top the node comes up " missing" shouldn't deter someone from doing it, they come back pretty quick and there are two instead of one.
    Last edited by Soniq420; 04-16-2009 at 10:30 AM.

Blog Entries

Topping is a form of mutilation whether you want to admit it or not. most strains are stabalized enough to handle some of the stress topping or fimming causes but there are some out there that will go hermie within a week of removing the top. Tieing the plant down removes the stress and gives you the same result. I'm not sure about the rest of you on here but I want as much yield as I can coach out of each plant and IMO stressing a plant is a sure fire way to reduce that goal if not eliminating it all together.

And fasts...thanks for the props but for every little I know now...I have so much more to learn in the future. I've playing with this hobby for a long time and learned a lot but I'm not even close to being a expert. Most of what I know I learned early on and from a older grizzled outdoor grower that stated that if I wasn't so good at humping supplies he'd have me replaced with a monkey.lol That was about 20 years ago or so though.lol He's since stated that I learned some of my lessons well. But believe me, I still go to this old fart at times when I have problems I can't figure out. he still knows his shit even if he doesn't recognize me all the time.

I personally top em at very early stage(when they got like 3rd ot 4th floor) and start to tie em down later on, i dunno bout 6 weeks or so after transplant. Every branch and sub branch tied down for maximum sun. This way i get huge bushy plants that than provide me with buds for whole year or more. I even topped all the branches last year on one Big Bud strain and results were amazing. I`we never before even seen such monster of a weed. Plant was also tied down like i mentioned but later on.
    Personally i think that both topping and tying down will produce best results.
    Sure plant will suffer some stress when topped but you will see branches splitting two way in few days, not such a set back compared to extra bud you get.

I have Recently topped 3 out of my 6 WW's i will leave the 3 untopped throughout the grow i think this will be a interesting test so keep an eye out for my grow journal to see the results.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast