How Should Strains Be Named?

Smokin Moose

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex Moderator
In the horticultural world, the order of naming in hybrids should be Female X Male. Many breeders and retailers practice improper naming protocol. I have seen too many obvious discrepencies in commercial Cannabis naming practices to give any validity to the standard protocol as a way to determine the parentage. Breeders and retailers should correct this.

When choosing a name for your prize breeding project, it is important to be original and not be confusing. Unfortunately, some seed breeders are using names for their newer and different offerings already taken by strains currently held by other seedbanks. This is definitely something that is deceptive and troublesome. Introducing a different strain under another, now famous name appears to be an attempt to ride on their coattails. It is terribly confusing and misleading to the consumer for another company in the same market to decide to use the same name for a newer and different product. What if VW decided their new sports car was going to be called a Corvette because they are based in Europe and they like the name? They have lawyers for this.

I think we all must name our own strains...like...overhall.. crackneck, slowcreep..i mean why copy names already established...hd101

Strain names should be original and they should also have a good name that sounds like something you would want to smoke. Who wants to smoke crackneck? Sounds like a hard core drug that if you smoke your going to go off the handle and hurt someone, or become paralyzed yourself.

(Please don't take offense QUEENBUD00 that I used your crackneck but it was a good example. ;) )

I just don't understand what the fascination is with naming different strains of this beautiful plant with such unfavorable names. Cannabis is all about love in the form of recreational pleasure, medicine, and hemp products (paper, fiber, fuel, protein, building materials, etc.). It is an amazingly giving tree.

Give me something with a name that elevates the plants integrity and the senses. I'll take some green goddess over green crack any day. In fact I wouldn't even smoke the green crack because it simply sounds unpleasant to me. The name makes all the difference.

Keep it original and keep it elevated in a positive light :love:

Julie, what you say is true....the name must be appealing to the consumer but at the same time represent the qualities of that particular plant...

i have to disagree with you on the green crack tho, green crack is just to get the point across, that it is highly potent almost like that of a hard drug, i personally have had GC and it was nothing short of spectacular

Strains should not be judged on name only which would be incredibly misleading

If an individual comes up with a new strain, the name should reflect qualities of the product like smell or taste for example.... say you do a little experimenting and come up with your own that is crossed between 2 well known strains (for example sour diesel x lets say strawberry cough)....would you call it sour strawberry because it is a cross between the 2 or what if it resembled neither and smelled like peppermint, then if you have this specimen called sour strawberry but taste like peppermint people are going to be mislead

its all about creativity

I have to chime in here at this point about the naming thing cause as was mentioned the name green crack well have had it many times and in my personal opinion its not as good as Purple Kush , but the name draws people into buying it , alot of the time I find strains that have names like green crack , the many kushes etc are just offshoots of known strains that have many of the same qualities some are superior and some are inferior the truly superior strains like blue dream, vortex etc get names that appropriate for the plant no flashy names or pr to make people want to buy it just a decent name and pot thats potency speaks for itself. I personally have never smoked one of those strains like green crack, king kush , master kush etc and not thought well just normal hindu kush is better then this master kush crap what gets me is how we as growers actually have the arrogance when you consider the western world has only been seriously cultivating drug cultivar marijuana for less then 100 years and somehow we think we in 100years are going to improve on the breeding and growing abilities some of the cultures in the world where the use of marijuana has been customary and ongoing for thousands of years so really does anyone think that the strains we are breeding today have a chance of being as good as a strain that has been carefully tended and cared for for over a thousand years ?

i couldnt agree with ^^^^^you more,

my point was that the names should support the qualities of the plant but today there are so many places of business where you can get your meds that there has to be competetion between businesses, thus creating the ever-growing list of strain names,

some companies just want to find that new product thats going to appeal to alot of customers and what better way to do so then to come up with a crazy @ss name that no one can forget, its all about marketing and advertisement and profit

but to those who remain loyal and true of breeding pure genetics and keeping the "strains of yester-year" around, we owe much thanks

I feel names like green crack, gods pussy, etc hurt the whole legalization movement. I can't expect anyone else to take weed seriously as medicine with such 12th grade nicknames.

Strain names should be original and they should also have a good name that sounds like something you would want to smoke. Who wants to smoke crackneck? Sounds like a hard core drug that if you smoke your going to go off the handle and hurt someone, or become paralyzed yourself.

(Please don't take offense QUEENBUD00 that I used your crackneck but it was a good example. ;) )

I just don't understand what the fascination is with naming different strains of this beautiful plant with such unfavorable names. Cannabis is all about love in the form of recreational pleasure, medicine, and hemp products (paper, fiber, fuel, protein, building materials, etc.). It is an amazingly giving tree.

Give me something with a name that elevates the plants integrity and the senses. I'll take some green goddess over green crack any day. In fact I wouldn't even smoke the green crack because it simply sounds unpleasant to me. The name makes all the difference.

Keep it original and keep it elevated in a positive light :love:

I agree ........ let's not make legalization even harder by giving it names like crack. That will just add fuel to the fire.

Back
Top Bottom