Balls! Root Balls That Is

santb

Hi gang! Talking on a thread started by Far East Buds the other day, and long story short, I decided to start a MJ Root Ball thread!

I wanna see some bitchin balls, folks! Hydro, coco, whatever method you use, c'mon: show us your balls!
I'm waiting for a harvest, as it happens, in a month or so, so for now I will show current root balls just before last upcan, and an old outdoor auto root ball...

If this has already been done, please point me in the right direction! If I'm in the wrong forum, Sorry!! I figured that this was 'on topic' but not a journal, so I figured the Lounge.. If you think I'm using the word "Balls" too much; well, you got me, I'm doing it deliberately.

:thumb:

Here we go..

root_ball2.jpg

00 Auto Bubblegum, outdoor, soil.

Rootball_21516.png

Rootball4_21516.png

Rootball2_21516.png

Rootball3_21516.png

Not sure which is which.. Rare Dankness Scotts OG and Ghost Train Haze and HSO Choc Mint OG Indoor, coco/soil.

These went into cloth pots, so I am very interested in how they finish....
Hope to see some awesome root balls!!
Cheers, guys! And gals!!!

Thank you, rhetorrikz(cool name), for showing me your balls. Not your girls balls.. Or, yes, thanks for showing me your girls balls...???
:rofl:
I've been wanting to write that since I thought of this thread..!
But seriously; those are some f'n impressive roots.. I had to look twice before I saw the tank over-run with roots as well.. Awesome!! How long is that? End of life or just veg..?
Thanks for being number one, rhet.. I'm actually hoping this might be a popular thread.. Surely everyone is proud of their balls!!!

OMG the joke that just keeps writing itself!!

But seriously, I really am interested to various methods of producing healthy roots of healthy plants, so some corresponding bud shots would be relevant also.
Info on different pot types, especially any "weird" or recycled-type of container or media very much appreciated as well..

Haha cheers.. well, those pics were taken at harvest, about 10 weeks in the net pots.Those roots really grew towards the air stones.. its a diy rdwc, constant current with water chiller, great fun grow but not really efficient..lol
Great thread, id like to improve my girls root balls in coco, maybe we can learn here.

Awesome, rhet.. All jokes aside, that's what I'm going for, a different aspect of growing that is important but maybe taken for gratnted..

My girls are in 20ltr cloth pots, two layers of geo-cloth, sitting on a 10mm layer of perlite in a drip tray.. The perlite is to provide an air gap for the bottom of the pots, and to make sure the pot is rarely sitting in water/run-off for too long.. My plants aren't huge but they have been quite vigorous from the start, and the roots at the bottom have grown through the (double layer) cloth and into the perlite so I now have these 'discs' of perlite attached to the bottom of the pot. No other roots have made it out on the sides, just the bottom. I"m actually a bit worried; I'm not even half way through flowering so I hope the cloth is doing it's intended job of air-pruning on the sides of the pot. I don't want them root-bound now.. I can only cross my fingers behind my back and assume that it is.. Aside from that, I am anticipating a fantastic root ball made up of lots of fine roots that have completely over-run the coco mix..
I'll try to get photos in the next few days.

Here's question that just occurred to me..
How much weight does the root ball add to the pot once the ball is developed?
I water by pot weight and just now thought.. Do I need to water or not? Pots are still a bit heavy...

Not enough to notice like that.. You'll feel the difference up until harvest.. all yhe weight is moisture in pot.. Remember a six ounce plant (dried) all of it is under a kg wet..

Sweet, Grizz that's what I thought. They can't be that big or the pot would break! I have a Bird of Paradise that I put into one of those 40lt rubber tubs to save it for breaking up into multiple plants and it split that in 2 places in 8 months.. THAT's a heavy plant. I know the roots on each are different, but you get the idea.. There is too much weight in my MJ pots for it to be roots but I thought I'd better be sure...

I just dug her up, took some photos of roots... Look at that turnip tap, lol...
image36738.jpg

image36736.jpg

image36737.jpg
I've just copied this from my thread.. How's the length on the bottom pic. They keept her up...

Yeah, man I forgot about that! You should've been the first guy I asked for pics.. I love the tap root in the first pic... Unreal..

And look at that stem! Surely that plant will win this month, Grizz....

My girls are in 20ltr cloth pots, two layers of geo-cloth, sitting on a 10mm layer of perlite in a drip tray.. The perlite is to provide an air gap for the bottom of the pots, and to make sure the pot is rarely sitting in water/run-off for too long.. My plants aren't huge but they have been quite vigorous from the start, and the roots at the bottom have grown through the (double layer) cloth and into the perlite so I now have these 'discs' of perlite attached to the bottom of the pot. No other roots have made it out on the sides, just the bottom. I"m actually a bit worried; I'm not even half way through flowering so I hope the cloth is doing it's intended job of air-pruning on the sides of the pot. I don't want them root-bound now.. I can only cross my fingers behind my back and assume that it is.. Aside from that, I am anticipating a fantastic root ball made up of lots of fine roots that have completely over-run the coco mix..
I'll try to get photos in the next few days.

A week later....

Roots_020716.jpg

Roots2_020716.jpg

They look great. I've always wondered about those air pots... They obviously work!
Cheers!

Was this thread moved, Mods? The link in my sig has changed.... How do I get the link back to the name of the thread??
Cheers!

Fixed it. When in doubt, and all else fails, read the instructions!

Cheers, Laz... That looks awesome. Healthy.. Thanks for the contribution!
I almost forgot to post my own pics here!!
These are from my recent grow.. New ones in a few months!!

20160809_161335.jpg

20160809_161637.jpg

20160809_161738.jpg

20160809_161842.jpg

20160809_162111.jpg

20160809_162221.jpg

20160809_162517.jpg

20160809_162657.jpg

The fine roots are hard to see but the whole ball held together really well.. I had to really scrape the edges with my fingers to expose them at all...
:thumb:

Back
Top Bottom