Novice Macro Photography

David Bowman

For Christmas, I was extremely fortunate to receive a very nice DSLR camera and an 18-55mm zoom lens. While I have had a lot of photographic experience with film SLRs over the last 40 years, this is my first DSLR and I'm quite enjoying learning this new aspect of an old hobby. I then purchased a shoe mount flash and my new pride and joy, a 60mm 1:1 macro lens with a minimum focal length of 8". I've never shot macro before as good quality macro lenses are quite expensive and I've never really had the inclination to shoot up close until I started to grow cannabis. There is something so uniquely beautiful about this plant that I have not found in any other plant. I can't quite put a finger on it, but no, it isn't just the THC that I'm talking about. :cheesygrinsmiley: :;):

Here are my very first ever macro photos using the ladies of my current grow Colorado High - Soilless - LED/CFL - Dutch Dope - 2014 as subjects. I played around a little with the Depth-of-Field (DOF) and lighting to change things up a bit. For your enjoyment!

IMG_0019176.JPG

IMG_0020170.JPG

IMG_0021159.JPG

IMG_0022151.JPG

IMG_0023142.JPG

IMG_0024137.JPG

IMG_0025142.JPG

IMG_0026127.JPG

IMG_0027136.JPG

IMG_0028125.JPG

As I get more proficient in its use, I hope to be able to share even better macro images of our favorite plant. :Namaste: :peace:

Nice pics

I had some time this evening to try out my new remote switch with the macro lens and below are the results. I took three macro shots of the top of each lady, the first one with CFLs only, the second one with CFLs and LEDs (Growth) and the last one with CFLs and LEDs (Growth/Bloom). I went for an even greater DOF to really bring into focus the entire top of each lady.

Macro shots of the top of the B/L lady -

IMG_004872.JPG

IMG_004973.JPG

IMG_005074.JPG

Macro shots of the top of the B/R lady -

IMG_004570.JPG

IMG_004672.JPG

IMG_004773.JPG

Macro shots of the top of the F/C lady -

IMG_005158.JPG

IMG_005266.JPG

IMG_005363.JPG

I hope everyone has a good weekend! :Namaste: :peace:

Actually, when I get this next harvest cured, I plan on doing that very thing KingJames! I have nothing macro-worthy at the moment but the way the ladies are shaping up, there should be some fine buddage for that very purpose. Being on staff at 420 Magazine disqualifies me from entering any 420 Sponsored Contests, but I do appreciate the sentiment. :high-five:

Back
Top Bottom