Amber Trichomes and THC to CBD?

Thew1sest

I've been reading through a bunch of different articles on the make up and progression of THC formed in the resin glands on the plant. Some articles state that 5-10% amber is ideal and top THC production of most mature marijuana plants. They also say that by the time the plant shows 50% amber, most growers around here love couch~lock high, most of the THC has degraded, and the couch~lock high is due to the oxidation of THC to CBD. That the CBD will actually increase even more during cure, unless oxygen is removed from the cure container. That 70-80% milky is peak THC content. Anyone have any opinion or knowledge on this??

:reading420magazine:

oxidation.jpg

The newest studies say different i quote from ProjectCBD

Quick question: I found this article online and it is saying you can get higher CBD's if you harvest early... —David Chen
Project CBD replies: That article must be quite old. It's been known for 10-15 years that CBD is not the precursor to THC, but rather CBG is. One may (or may not) be able to increase CBG yield by harvesting early, but not CBD. Again, you can't create CBD in a genetic vacuum. It is either there, or it's not"

But the dont have to be right but latest data points to it... sorry

When to harvest your trichomes.

There are several schools of thought as to when it is the time to harvest. I shall attempt to explain how you can determine the harvesting time that will produce the most favorable psychoactive effect for your individual preferences.

We are most concerned with the capitate-stalked trichomes, as these contain the overwhelming majority of the psychoactive cannabinoids (THC, THCV, CBN). Different cannabinoids affect the high in a multifaceted manner.

THC.

delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol & delta-8-tetrahydrocannabinol - THC mimics the action of anandamide, a neurotransmitter produced naturally in the body, which binds with the cannabinoid receptors in the brain to produce the ?high? associated with marijuana. THC possesses high UV-B (280-315 nm) absorption properties.

THCV.

tetrahydrocannabivarin - prevalent in certain South African and Southeast Asian strains of cannabis. It is said to produce a ?clearer high? & seems to possess many of the therapeutic properties of THC.

CBD.

cannabidiol - previously believed to be psychoactive, or to contribute to the high by interacting with other cannabinoids, conversely the most recent research indicates that CBD has negligible effect on the high, it is however a strong anti-inflammatory, and may take the edge off some THC effects, such as anxiety. CBD as a non-psychoactive cannabinoid appears to be helpful for many medical conditions. CBD biosynthesizes into cannabinol (CBN) & tetrahydrocannabinol (THC).

CBN.

cannabinol - a degradation product of THC, produces a depressant effect, ?fuzzy? forehead.

CBC.

cannabichromene - non-psychoactive , a precursor to THC.

CBG.

cannabigerol - non-psychoactive, hemp strains often posses elevated levels of CBG while possessing only trace amounts of THC.

Heavy trichome production is not necessarily an indication of a potent plant. Some hemp strains have moderate layers of trichomes yet pack only a strong headache. In a drug strain, a thick layer of trichomes is a symbol that it may well posses an elevated potency level, but it is certainly not a guarantee.

What defines a cannabis drug strain is the plant's ability to produce THC & THCV.

A small 25x or stronger pocket microscope, which can be picked up inexpensively at an electronics store like Radio Shack, works well for getting a closer peek at your trichome development. We are examining are the capitate stalked glandular trichomes, the coloration of these gland heads can vary between strains and maturity. Most strains start with clear or slightly amber heads which gradually become cloudy or opaque when THC levels have peaked and are beginning to degrade. Regardless of the initial color of the secretory cavity, with careful observation you should be able to see a change in coloration as maturity levels off.

Some cultivators wait for about half of the secretory cavities to go opaque before harvesting, to ensure maximum THC levels in the finished product. Of course nothing tells the truth more than your own perception, so try samples at various stages to see what is best for you & the phenotype your are growing. While you may be increasing the total THC level in the bud by allowing half of the glands to go opaque, the bud will also have a larger percentage of THC breakdown products such as CBN, which is why some people choose to harvest earlier while most of the secretory cavities are still clear.

Indica varieties will usually have a 10-15 day harvest window to work with. Sativas and Indica/Sativa hybrids often have an extended period to work with.

TrikeChart.jpg

CHRIS.

When to harvest your trichomes.

There are several schools of thought as to when it is the time to harvest. I shall attempt to explain how you can determine the harvesting time that will produce the most favorable psychoactive effect for your individual preferences.

We are most concerned with the capitate-stalked trichomes, as these contain the overwhelming majority of the psychoactive cannabinoids (THC, THCV, CBN). Different cannabinoids affect the high in a multifaceted manner.

THC.

delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol & delta-8-tetrahydrocannabinol - THC mimics the action of anandamide, a neurotransmitter produced naturally in the body, which binds with the cannabinoid receptors in the brain to produce the ?high? associated with marijuana. THC possesses high UV-B (280-315 nm) absorption properties.

THCV.

tetrahydrocannabivarin - prevalent in certain South African and Southeast Asian strains of cannabis. It is said to produce a ?clearer high? & seems to possess many of the therapeutic properties of THC.

CBD.

cannabidiol - previously believed to be psychoactive, or to contribute to the high by interacting with other cannabinoids, conversely the most recent research indicates that CBD has negligible effect on the high, it is however a strong anti-inflammatory, and may take the edge off some THC effects, such as anxiety. CBD as a non-psychoactive cannabinoid appears to be helpful for many medical conditions. CBD biosynthesizes into cannabinol (CBN) & tetrahydrocannabinol (THC).

CBN.

cannabinol - a degradation product of THC, produces a depressant effect, ?fuzzy? forehead.

CBC.

cannabichromene - non-psychoactive , a precursor to THC.

CBG.

cannabigerol - non-psychoactive, hemp strains often posses elevated levels of CBG while possessing only trace amounts of THC.

Heavy trichome production is not necessarily an indication of a potent plant. Some hemp strains have moderate layers of trichomes yet pack only a strong headache. In a drug strain, a thick layer of trichomes is a symbol that it may well posses an elevated potency level, but it is certainly not a guarantee.

What defines a cannabis drug strain is the plant's ability to produce THC & THCV.

A small 25x or stronger pocket microscope, which can be picked up inexpensively at an electronics store like Radio Shack, works well for getting a closer peek at your trichome development. We are examining are the capitate stalked glandular trichomes, the coloration of these gland heads can vary between strains and maturity. Most strains start with clear or slightly amber heads which gradually become cloudy or opaque when THC levels have peaked and are beginning to degrade. Regardless of the initial color of the secretory cavity, with careful observation you should be able to see a change in coloration as maturity levels off.

Some cultivators wait for about half of the secretory cavities to go opaque before harvesting, to ensure maximum THC levels in the finished product. Of course nothing tells the truth more than your own perception, so try samples at various stages to see what is best for you & the phenotype your are growing. While you may be increasing the total THC level in the bud by allowing half of the glands to go opaque, the bud will also have a larger percentage of THC breakdown products such as CBN, which is why some people choose to harvest earlier while most of the secretory cavities are still clear.

Indica varieties will usually have a 10-15 day harvest window to work with. Sativas and Indica/Sativa hybrids often have an extended period to work with.

TrikeChart.jpg

CHRIS.

I get the individual properties of each "ingredient" in marijuana, so the amber trichomes are THC oxidizing into CBD? So if you harvest at 50% amber you'll have more CBD and less THC? Right? So a peak THC and CBD levels would be about 70% milky and 10% amber? Judging by what you posted it says that CBD may be negligible in psychoactive properties, but help as an anti inflammatory. With that we'd want to find peak THC right and not CBD? What would you harvest at

:nomo: Haha sorry for the q's this subject has millions of different opinions

is there a spot you are suppose to check,, or just anywhere on the bud,, i get as close to the bud as i can, BUT they are all over the plant, can you look at the leaves just close to the top?

is there a spot you are suppose to check,, or just anywhere on the bud,, i get as close to the bud as i can, BUT they are all over the plant, can you look at the leaves just close to the top?

Yes look at the top buds under a 100x scope but remember there are 3 different kinds of trichomes.

CHRIS.
:grinjoint:

thanks man......... ya gotta love this place!

50 percent clear? That seems early, to me. Can Ludacris elaborate on what he means by 50/50 cloudy/milky? The poster after says 50 percent clear, and that seems very early to me.

It says 50 cloudy 50 amber. But in my experieces, pick a day or two early because it seems to continue to degrade immediatly after harvest .. I think of it like bananas picked green, but yellow at the store.
Depends on what kind of buzz you want.

50 percent clear? That seems early, to me. Can Ludacris elaborate on what he means by 50/50 cloudy/milky? The poster after says 50 percent clear, and that seems very early to me.

When the trichomes are milky/cloudy thats when the buds have the most THC. If you read the link i have posted above it should make more sense.
If you are still stuck then ask away.

CHRIS.
:Namaste:

It says 50 cloudy 50 amber. But in my experieces, pick a day or two early because it seems to continue to degrade immediatly after harvest .. I think of it like bananas picked green, but yellow at the store.
Depends on what kind of buzz you want.

YES ^^^^^^^^^^^

LUDA.
:smokin:

hey bro at first I thougt you were a know it all. but im digging what your layin down. :nomo: IM groing in soil and want to know if I can water with h2o2 mix or is that only for hydro? I just flushed my grow last monday 4 weeks in flower. and I want to know if that will help on next feeding?:Namaste:

hey bro at first I thougt you were a know it all. but im digging what your layin down. :nomo: IM groing in soil and want to know if I can water with h2o2 mix or is that only for hydro? I just flushed my grow last monday 4 weeks in flower. and I want to know if that will help on next feeding?:Namaste:

Feed them normal tap water or any other water with a ph of around 6.5.
I use this kit for testing water.

IMG_0055.jpg

I have been growing canna for 6-7 years so i do know a lot more than i am giving out as i have my own site for that.

LUDACRIS.
:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom