Male Cannabis plant, How long till Pollen??

laladaddy8649

okay, heres my male cannabis plant, i am planning on using him to breed some new strains for some seeds of my own hopefully.....but my question is according to these pics how much longer will it take till his pollen sacks become mature enough to bare pollen to one of my ladies?? any info is appreciated!!

First Node
DSC024922.JPG

Second node
DSC024903.JPG

Looks like yours are about at the same development as mine. I've got mine (cloned...?) chopped and brought inside the house, sitting in a container w/water and plant food: Cloning the male plant?

I've been scouring the internet trying to find out for myself of how long does it take for them to ripen, then split open to drop the pollen. So far I've seen anywhere from 2 to 4 weeks from being sexed...? It also appears that they begin to turn yellow as they mature.

Keep an eye on those nuts. They all do not develop at the same rate. You might want to consider pruning all but a few of the branches (from the top of the main cola) so you have less pollen sacs to worry about. This is a wild guess...each pollen sac has enough pollen to create at least a couple hundred seeds, especially if you're indoors and with more controlled conditions than being outside.

welcome higher drifter, and i must say thanks to you and all the vital info u have provided me with...and great job on cloning him, i didnt think he was going to make it...but back to my forum now.....

ive looked over ur thread and im glad im not the only person interested in Male cannabis and breeding Cannabis. My male is alot smaller than yours, ive attached another pic, but he's in a pot thats no bigger than half a gallon lol, so i can control his overall size and growth, lately his balls have been bulking up and clustering his nodes more..but i think he still has a while before throwing out pollen.

im not too sure what strain he's from, but he looks more indica with broad, short leaves......i havent noticed his scent... but im hoping i can cross him with a sativa dominant lady i have flowering right now.

So you have an idea on how big he is..
DSC025353.JPG

close up-the balls
DSC025322.JPG

cool pic
DSC025363.JPG

thanks!!

Ah...

Naturally, I assumed you had a full size plant.

Are those "clones" (from cuttings)...or are they directly from seed...?

Nah...can't be sprouts. Looks like they're only about...what 6~8 inches tall?

How old are they?

They're from seeds, suprise!!!

well i am not too sure on age, my brother gave em to me after he noticed its male flowers and figuered he was useless.....so he gave em to me, id say at a guess hes a month or two old at the most....yea id say hes about 8 inches ......is Size that important??

DSC025281.JPG

Some info i found online, i think itll benefit us both....What you want to look or in terms of breeding is vigor of growth ,resistance to disease and bugs, stronger aroma's, vibrant colors, and large amounts of pollen sacks as the amount of pollen sacks a male produces is basically a way of telling how dense the female flowers from the same strain will be

Wow.

...is Size that important??

I really don't know.

With the way lots of people are artificially inducing sex with lights, chemicals, and what not, nowadays - I reckon plants don't have to vedge very long before for sexing - whether it's a Sativa or Indica.

I'm not really hip on all this hi-tech stuff anyways - never really had the interest. I'm a kinda guy with a mindset that nature does fine on it's own with little or no input/output from us humans.

I agree strongly, nothing can come close to the amount of energy the Sun has!!!
well i guess i got all the info i need.......so when he's pollenating ill post some pics......

thanks higher drifter, if u hear anything else bout these GENTS, just give me a hollar!!

:thumb:

I like the way the two branches are growing out over the edge of the pot (or is that just a stiro-foam cup?). Will keep the pollen from falling into the pot and soil. Might wanna consider putting a piece of foil underneath it. That way when the nuts get ripe and begin to split open you can tap the branches and the pollen will land on the foil.

like a catch tray??
im glad u mentioned that....it never crossed my mind to ask how the pollen falls...but now that i know....i sure will....has ur plant dropped pollen yet??

and lol no its a pot....

has ur plant dropped pollen yet??

Nope.

Got to remember: I'm using a cutting. The plant doesn't have any root system yet so I reckon it's not even drawing up nutrients, just moisture. I could be wrong....?

One question is: will the nuts develop viable pollen without a root system?

Another question: do the "infant" pollen sacs already contain all the necessary genetic and nutritional requirements for making viable pollen.

One thing's for sure, there's something definitely going on.

I checked the plant just a moment ago (around 6:45AM when I changed the water) and it's not the same as when I checked it before going to sleep around 1:30AM this morning. I don't know if that means anything specific. That being said, some of the nuts look like they're getting ready to start dropping pollen any time, if not any day, now.

yea drifter?!!
ik dude i woke up today and i was like "WOW" his balls got bigger today......and i think as an "Infant" if he's old enough to show balls, its old enough to mingle im assuming lol....post a pic....or two..of him

Okay.

Finished snapping these just a moment ago:

ChoppedMale_10.jpg
ChoppedMale_11.jpg
ChoppedMale_8.jpg
ChoppedMale_9.jpg

Dang.

Get better magnification with my camera than I do with my magnifying glass.

Looks like some of them are going to be dropping pollen...SOON!

SWEET DUDE!!!! and thats the balls from your clone right??? its crazy...my plant loooks like its in the same phase as yours....im probly gnna put that catch tray on him soon... some of the pollen sacks look like theyre going to split within a couple days??? probly a week at the most...

You guys should think about putting a bag around those.

You guys should think about putting a bag around those.

I have already thought about it :thumb: - a great deal of thought, and...decided to do something else, like sticking it on some foil.

Bags...as worthless as condomes. I no like it. :). Would have rather not have to resort to do what I have already done with my plants, however, on the other hand, I dint want my lovely Queen being turned into a seed-bank. So, I chopped the male and brought him in the house. Wanna make his last days of life as comfortable as possible and putting bags over him is like suffocating him. I wouldn't want a plastic bag over my head, especially when I'm not dead yet.

Besides, he'd look kinda silly wearing plastic bags.

I'll get that pollen okay as it drops onto the foil.

Back
Top Bottom