Jiffy Pellets

Bagzgroove

So, another question. . . I germinated in Jiffy pellets, my question is should I remove the mesh casing from the pellet before planting them. I have heard 2 different opinions. Will MJ roots have a difficult time with this mesh? Thanks. . .Bagz. . .:peace:

Re: Jiffy Pellets. . .

The roots easily grow through the mesh of the pellets. But for transplant cut off with blade or scissors. Be careful with roots. You will save most but lose some.

I let an empty pellet soak this morning and just tried to remove the casing, and it just crumbled away real easy. . . I'd rather not take these off, but I'll d what I gotta do I guess. . . any other opinions. .? :hmmmm:

Leave them on.. healthy strong roots will grow through them no problem. I use them for starting seeds, and never have a problem unless the seedling is weak to begin with. The trick with Jiffy's is to squeeze the excess water out of them after they've full expanded.... then roll them between the palm of your hands to fluff them back out again. Then put your seed in them... It will keep them from rotting - and they grow strong taproots in the fluffed-out peat.

Hope that made sense...

Peace
MC

P.S. Roots are really really strong.... for example... Tree roots can crack concrete and break pipes

I have a different opinion than MC...I lost a A+++ PRIMO $350 crop of seedlings using Jiffy pellets 2 springs ago. I hate them and NEVER recommend them. It could be that I'm a moron, but...

If you do use them I'd recommend taking the mesh bag off at transplant...and before the tap root breaks out the bottom. It will peel away easily.

The mesh wrapped around a jiffy pellet is very fragile and a root system has no problem making short work of it. The only problem I ever had with peat pellets is that they retain too much water and tend to rot the base of seedlings. Even when you squeeze out the excess at first, at some point water has to be added and that's when the problem starts for me anyway. I start everything in the same soil that I'm gonna use all through the grow. It's easy to mist and thoroughly soak when the seedlings come up and drains well to avoid root rot. I'm not fond of jiffy pellets but the mesh has zero impact on root systems. Like madame said, root systems can break apart concrete. They'll obliterate drain tile and septic leech beds. They'll also split a boulder with ease so that mesh doesn't even slow them down. It's all about good drainage from the very start. I found the coolest misting sprayer at the dollar store the other day. It holds a quart of water and has a pump on it. Fill it about 3/4 from the top, pump it up and pull the trigger to spray. I should've bought 5 of them..lol.

I don't recommend them necessarily; Jiffy pellets are not something I'd recommend for new growers or valuable seeds.. (for those I'd use Rapid Rooters - they are the best for sprouting seeds IMO.)

Squeezing and Fluffing were the tricks I learned to make the Jiffy Pellets work reliably. They don't need to be watered again until after it's sprouted. And then, when I transplant them into soil, I don't bury the top 1/4 inch of the Peat pellet. This prevents the seedling from getting damping off..

Just my experience...

Peace
MC

Oh this is funny, most of the peeps I really pay close attention to are on different places in the spectrum. I thought I'd give them a try, mainly because of the dome. . . I'm going to transplant them tonight, I'll just pay close attention to watering time, till I'm sure the roots are beyond the pellet. I'm going to leave the mesh on and just hope the odds are with me, seems safe enough I think. . .Thanks guys:peace:

Akornpatch said:
I have a different opinion than MC...I lost a A+++ PRIMO $350 crop of seedlings using Jiffy pellets 2 springs ago. I hate them and NEVER recommend them. It could be that I'm a moron, but...

If you do use them I'd recommend taking the mesh bag off at transplant...and

before the tap root breaks out the bottom. It will peel away easily.

You're not a moron. I hate these things as well. I'd rather start off seeds in rock wool or a party cup with some soil that I know whats in it.

Not sure on transplanting with mesh on. I never did that. Always thought small roots would just be that much more stressed growing through the mesh.

Remember, Squeeze -> Roll -> Fluff -> Plant and you should have some happy little sprouts in a few days...

Good Luck!

Peace
MC

I actually use the jiffy cubes for my DWC hydro bubbler, i love using the jiffy pots. What MC said is right to squeze the water out then just use a spray bottle and spray the cube when ever it looks dry. and i never take the mesh off

Im on my second grow. The First grow I germinated in a Paper towel and then directly in soil, this time I planted the germed seeds in Jiffy pellets first. I warmed up PH balanced water and soaked my Pellets. Then I squeezed, rolled them, and fluffed them, like Madamecrash explains. And then make a hole for the seeds and place them in using tweazers.

I intended to use rockwool...And I may on the next go around. But the Jiffy pelets so far have worked exceptional. I removed the mesh as I transplanted into soil ( Fox Farms ocean forest) and today is its 11th day since planting, right now its growing leaves out of its third node, with lots of side fan leaves. The difference between the grow I am doing now using FF Soil, Nutes, and CFL's, and my Last grow with some crappy Potting soil, no nutes, and a single 12" Tube Fluro is phoenominal, Its like I can see the plant grow infront of my eyes. :cool:

I've actually had good luck with them so far. I've just started my first grow and had 9 of 10 seeds germinate with paper towel and then planted them into the pellets. I also thought what the heck, and planted the unsprouted seed in the pellet too.

After 4 days all were looking good and wouldn't you know, the 10th previously unsproutted seed popped and is looking great!

Once I started to see a little white root pop through the bottom of the pellet I put them all into big pots.

So far so good.

Oh and I found myself constantly misting the pellets while they were under the 4' flourescant...they seemed to dry up really fast (I didn't have a lid on them which probably helped as some seem to mention that the pellets hold too much water).

Back
Top Bottom