250v 15a to 110v? Help

infinitylimit

I'm not a genius but I know this much

I purchased a 1000w metal halide and it has this kind of plug
6248.jpg

which is a nema 250v 15a 6-15P

Now here comes the questions:

Can I find just a straight adapter to plug into standard 110v 15a that you see everywhere in the US?

If not I might need a voltage converter, is the one below adequate? Will it work my plug? how does that thing work?

Step Voltage Convertors

lastly how would this affect my ballast and light performance?

Any help would be appreciated, I attempted a few times to search google for answers but I just couldn't figure it out, and running a wire from my panel isn't an option.

Re: 250v 15a to 110v??? Help

Some ballasts may be rewired to 120v.

changing to 120v will greatly reduce effiency of light.

Best would be to rewire plugin, next find a clothes dryer outlet and run extention wire from it to light.

That transformer might work if the plugs match, I think I remember seeing adapters at the local hardware.

Check your ballast for a 115/250v switch if it has one cut the plug and replace after selecting the correct one.

If you plug a 1000 watt light into an existing receptacle you run the real chance of blowing the circuit. Chances are you have a number of other outlets and/or lights on the same circuit you plan on plugging that light into. So before you go out and buy a transformer I would suggest you find the breaker that controls that receptacle you plan to use. Turn it off and check your entire house and see what else has turned off as well. A standard receptacle circuit can only hold around 1800 watts (non-continious load) 1500 watts (continuous load). It's better to figure on the 1500 watts. If the receptacle you plan on using happens to be on a 20 amp circuit then you can figure on 2400 watts (non-continous load) or 2000 watts (continuous). Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom