How Big A Pot should I Transplant Into?

Smokin Moose

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex Moderator
A good rule of thumb is 12" of height/per gallon and to double the size of your existing pot on transplanting. Other factors involved in determining pot size are your grow room footprint size, the amount/intensity of light plants receive, where plants are in the grow cycle and if the are from seed or clones.

Grow room area size: If your grow room foot print size is small and horizontal space is at a minimum then BOG's (Bushy Older Grower) doubling potting method is a good alternative. Rather than repotting into a larger diameter pot your existing pot is set on top of another pot a few inches more in diameter. Thus giving your plants a lot more vertical root volume of soil to grow into and less horizontal volume.

Amount of light and intensity: Plants that are under low wattage lights (70-250) tend not to grow as big and as quick as plants under high wattage lights (400-100), thus one can scale back pot size slightly. Also if your plants are under a 24/0 cycle or an 18/6 cycle this will affect growth rates and repotting sizes.

Growth cycle: The average grower will find that they must repot usually every 2 weeks while in the veg cycle. Going from a 1-1.5 gallon to a 2-3 gallon in the third/fourth week of the veg cycle. From a 2-3 gallon pot to a 4-5 gallon in the 5-6 week of the veg cycle. Note it is always best to repot 1-2 weeks before you flip your lights to the 12/12 flowering cycle and to let your plants finish off in that last transplanted pot size.

Seed or clones: This will make the biggest difference between pot sizes. Since one must veg up to 4-6 week from seed to reach plant maturity. Cloned plants need not be veg as long 1-3 weeks. This will drastically reduced the pot size needed for a cloned plant.

These guide lines are by no means written in stone, all environments are different and will produce different growth/repotting rates this is just a basic outline.

A good rule of thumb is 12" of height/per gallon and to double the size of your existing pot on transplanting. Other factors involved in determining pot size are your grow room footprint size, the amount/intensity of light plants receive, where plants are in the grow cycle and if the are from seed or clones.

Grow room area size: If your grow room foot print size is small and horizontal space is at a minimum then BOG's (Bushy Older Grower) doubling potting method is a good alternative. Rather than repotting into a larger diameter pot your existing pot is set on top of another pot a few inches more in diameter. Thus giving your plants a lot more vertical root volume of soil to grow into and less horizontal volume.

Amount of light and intensity: Plants that are under low wattage lights (70-250) tend not to grow as big and as quick as plants under high wattage lights (400-100), thus one can scale back pot size slightly. Also if your plants are under a 24/0 cycle or an 18/6 cycle this will affect growth rates and repotting sizes.

Growth cycle: The average grower will find that they must repot usually every 2 weeks while in the veg cycle. Going from a 1-1.5 gallon to a 2-3 gallon in the third/fourth week of the veg cycle. From a 2-3 gallon pot to a 4-5 gallon in the 5-6 week of the veg cycle. Note it is always best to repot 1-2 weeks before you flip your lights to the 12/12 flowering cycle and to let your plants finish off in that last transplanted pot size.

Seed or clones: This will make the biggest difference between pot sizes. Since one must veg up to 4-6 week from seed to reach plant maturity. Cloned plants need not be veg as long 1-3 weeks. This will drastically reduced the pot size needed for a cloned plant.

These guide lines are by no means written in stone, all environments are different and will produce different growth/repotting rates this is just a basic outline.

I can't imagine repotting as often as this article says you should. Sounds like too much work to me.

I would focus more on starting out with big enough pots that your plants can grow into them....right?

I can't imagine repotting as often as this article says you should. Sounds like too much work to me.

I would focus more on starting out with big enough pots that your plants can grow into them....right?

works for me!

I'd consider just starting the plants in the large pots that will be their final ones. Why bother with transplanting and the resultant period of no growth due to transplant shock, if you can avoid it?

I know that moving large pots around with still-small plants in them may seem like a lot of work, but not having to transplant may be worth it.

I'd consider just starting the plants in the large pots that will be their final ones. Why bother with transplanting and the resultant period of no growth due to transplant shock, if you can avoid it?

I know that moving large pots around with still-small plants in them may seem like a lot of work, but not having to transplant may be worth it.

Myself i do 2 transplants, 1 from seedling(Pete pellets):thumb:I like to GENTLY peel the mesh off of the pete pellets a BIT being careful not to damage the root system. to medium pot and from medium pot to large pot.

I am planning to start my autoflowering seeds in cups about 2 c capacity under fluor lights indoors and then transplant into 2 gal containers on my balcony at 2 weeks. They are naturally inclined to be small, from what I've read, and the 2 gal pots should help assure that.

I know lots of folks say to start autos in their final pot, but I can't really do that indoors because I won't be able to protect them from my cats, and the climate outside is too variable to be starting $15 ea seeds in, lol. I have lots of seed-starting experience with vegetables, even some challenging ones like basil and parsley. MJ is a WEED so it should be easy.

ETA: I have a 10 gal aquarium that will be my seedling nursery.

Oh my, whip-sawn between your cats inside and your noosey neighbor out.

Transplant is near zero shock if the medium in the new pot is formed around the old pot before the plant is pulled. A perfectly shaped socket to put it in is nice. Careful not to wait too long, the taproot should not be forced to circle the bottom. Autos as in ruderalis have Siberian roots. Don't worry too much about cold nights if it's above freezing, I think. I'm an inside grower, so check another source on what I said :hmmmm:

My cat gets to graze lower leaves of big plants, but when he tops babies it's war. I try to give him enough catnip to keep him busy flipping out then sleeping.
Cats as in more than one? Here's a thought: video a serious attempt to 'herd' a pack of cats to somewhere, then post it on YouTube. A Border Collie couldn't do it :)

Oh my, whip-sawn between your cats inside and your noosey neighbor out.

Transplant is near zero shock if the medium in the new pot is formed around the old pot before the plant is pulled. A perfectly shaped socket to put it in is nice. Careful not to wait too long, the taproot should not be forced to circle the bottom. Autos as in ruderalis have Siberian roots. Don't worry too much about cold nights if it's above freezing, I think. I'm an inside grower, so check another source on what I said :hmmmm:

My cat gets to graze lower leaves of big plants, but when he tops babies it's war. I try to give him enough catnip to keep him busy flipping out then sleeping.
Cats as in more than one? Here's a thought: video a serious attempt to 'herd' a pack of cats to somewhere, then post it on YouTube. A Border Collie couldn't do it :)

Well I have two cats. Normally they just serve to keep each other out of trouble. But I just KNOW the young one, at just a year, would have a field day with any plants in the home. I haven't had houseplants in 30 years because of cat issues, lol. I know better.

The aquarium/protective custody cell will work well, and I didn't have to buy it, it was a second-hand gift and I just don't want fish right now. Can't smoke and toke platys and danios and kribensis.

ETA: I will stick mylar on the outside of the tank (or would it be better on the inside) to reflect light AND to keep prying feline eyes off my girls.

Gift-wrapping the glass goodie box won't fool a cat, a heavy lid may foil them, but...
you'll need air circulation, same as any grow compartment.
Right from first peek out the seed, strong light is asked for. Be creative ;)

If I had room & time, I'd set up a small tank to entertain my cat.

If need be, until I move seedlings onto the balcony, I can confine the cats to the back half of the apartment except for when I am awake and present. Or I can park the tank in the bedroom while I am away and close the door. Got several options because I didn't really want to have the glass lid on, maybe just half of it.

Seeds were shipped from UK yesterday, not sure how long until they arrive.......sigh.

Thanks GrowinGirl the reason I'm asking the last time I repotted I left a lot of room at the top of my pot (3 gallon). I thought that if the plant got top heavy I could use the extra room to build dirt around it
P2_013.JPG
but now I think I should have just filled it all the way to the top

Couple reasons is to save money by not wasting nutrients and water if U pay for. it provides the space needed to create a root ball for strong plants

Back
Top Bottom