Need help - 4th time growing with same issue

420inthehead

420 Member
Hi guys. I've been trying to hone my skills as an indoor grower but after 4 attempts I'm still having issues. I'm trying to grow feminized Northern Lights. They are in 3 gallon Smart Pots with Fox Farms Happy Frog soil. I've been watering the plants with tap water adjusted to 6.5pH. For the first 3 weeks I watered only with H2O. Recently I've been feeding with 3ml Floranova Grow per gallon. My plants are in an indoor room at 75 degrees under a 600W LED. CO2 level is 1300-1500.

This is my 4th growing cycle and I have started seeing the same issues again. I'm thinking it's a potassium deficiency but need your help.

IMG_0159_zpslfj4ttns.jpg

IMG_0158_zpsuu3gtayt.jpg

Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Need help. 4th time growing with same issue.

It looks like a cal/mag issue to me.. I know tap water has some but I've heard that when your growing under LED you need more calcium and magnesium then you would under a HPS.. Sombody feel free to step in and correct me if I'm wrong. Adding little cal/mag shouldn't hurt and might fix your issues on your future grows. Besides that your plants look nice..

It looks like a cal/mag issue to me.. I know tap water has some but I've heard that when your growing under LED you need more calcium and magnesium then you would under a HPS.. Sombody feel free to step in and correct me if I'm wrong. Adding little cal/mag shouldn't hurt and might fix your issues on your future grows. Besides that your plants look nice..
Yup. Give her some cal/mag imo

Yup. Give her some cal/mag imo

Thanks guys. I just bought a soil pH test kit and the soil pH is too high. I'm going to start feeding with 5.5-6.0pH instead of 6.5.

Also, I have been using Floranova grow/bloom. According to the General Hydro website, it says to use 3 ml per gallon. (Which is what I've been doing) But the man at my local worms way pointed out that the bottle says up to 15ml per gallon. I also read that 8ml per gallon was perfect according to lucaseformula.com.

I think that once I lower the pH and use more nutes (8ml/gal), I will see improvements.

I'd add the cal-mag as well.
It does look like it could take a little more nutrients overall.

Cal/mag is ok but should be gotten from the natural water your using.

It looks more like potassium to me.

People think nutes are just readily available. Theres systems in nature to make a kind of assembly line for the taking in of nutes. Example human break down calcium with vitamin D. People think eating vitamin D supplements help when infact the body makes Vitamin D from sunlight and building blocks in the body.

Too many people think its one issue when it ciuld be tge whole symbiotic relationship.

Circle of life even on the micro level.

Nutes are like the light how much is actually usable that your providing.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Ok you got a soil PH probe & what was the reading ?

You need to leave it in the soil for 10 / 15 mins or so to get a good reading !

leaving the probe in the soil for prolong periods of time buggers em up quickly so remove after wards & wipe probes down with some tissue etc.

As you got a soil Ph probe you may find the soil/compost used does buffer back to its ambient Ph level over time like 24 hours etc, you can test it if you like ?

Like before watering or after watering perhaps 6 hr, 12 hr, or 24 hr later you may notice some thing :thumb:

Thanks guys. It was hard to tell what th pH was with the powder test kit. I didn't have distilled water but it turned green (the same color as the packaging) so I'm thinking it 7.0ish.

I flushed with FloraNova Bloom 8ml/gal. And left them to rest. I will post back with results. Great thing about FloraNova bloom is that at 8ml/gal the pH of the water comes down to 6.0 exactly.

Here's a couple charts that might be useful too( Thanx Canna Montana ) if you take a look at the first chart it shows you what's absorbed at specific PH levels.. Unless your PH is waaaaayyy low you shouldn't be having potassium deficiencys especially with fox farms soil after 3 weeks. Also look at the chart for cal and mag. Your high PH is probably not the issue.
d6c45bb1814fe0b949316f27bb4c08f3.jpg
8774985094ad741d7367fabe00dc090e.jpg

So you flushed without using any cal /mag? I know that natural water has calcium and magnesium but your plants are craving more than your water is supplying. I don't really want to link you to a different web sight but you need to Google " LED Cal Mag Deficiency" a lot of LED users double their cal mag in their feedings...

I didn't want to change up my pH levels, (going from 6.5-6.75 to 6) and add larger quantity of FloraNova (100% more) and add Cal Mag at the same time. I figured that since FloraNova Bloom already has them in it I didn't need to add additional amounts. Honestly, I think my problems are related to insufficient nutes and further exacerbated by the incorrect pH. When I first started last year, I only used pH adjusted water until week 5. (At the advice of the guy at Worm's Way). He said that FF Happy Frog had everything I needed for the first 4 weeks. But every time I started a new round of plants, around week 3/4 they started looking like the pics I posted. When I started introducing nutes, I was only adding 2-3ml/gallon. Notice the tips of my plants... I initially mistook the brown tips as nutrient burn, but it wasn't.

I'm going to stick with the LucasFormula for FloraNova Bloom at 8ml/gal. That would be double what I was previously using. I can tell you that after almost 24 hours the plants look much happier. I will post back pics in a few days.

One quick question, should I add the nutes everytime I feed? I see some people add nutes every other time they water.

Thanks for all the helpful advice guys. I really appreciate it! you're the best!!!

I didn't want to change up my pH levels, (going from 6.5-6.75 to 6) and add larger quantity of FloraNova (100% more) and add Cal Mag at the same time. I figured that since FloraNova Bloom already has them in it I didn't need to add additional amounts. Honestly, I think my problems are related to insufficient nutes and further exacerbated by the incorrect pH. When I first started last year, I only used pH adjusted water until week 5. (At the advice of the guy at Worm's Way). He said that FF Happy Frog had everything I needed for the first 4 weeks. But every time I started a new round of plants, around week 3/4 they started looking like the pics I posted. When I started introducing nutes, I was only adding 2-3ml/gallon. Notice the tips of my plants... I initially mistook the brown tips as nutrient burn, but it wasn't.

I'm going to stick with the LucasFormula for FloraNova Bloom at 8ml/gal. That would be double what I was previously using. I can tell you that after almost 24 hours the plants look much happier. I will post back pics in a few days.

One quick question, should I add the nutes everytime I feed? I see some people add nutes every other time they water.

Thanks for all the helpful advice guys. I really appreciate it! you're the best!!!

Well I am happy to report that the plants look amazing. No signs of any issues at the moment. They really like that 8ml/gal of FloraNova Bloom in each watering. Pics to come later in the week.

It's probably your tap water that is causing all your problems so switch to RO or distilled water. That's all I ever use.

:peace:

Well, it's been only 14 days and my plants have exploded. The plants were only about 10 inches high when I posted the first pictures. Now they are huge in just 2 weeks. They are very happy!! (This pic was taken in their sleep mode with a flash...that's why they are dropping a bit) I have been watering every time with 8ml/gal of FloraNova bloom with a 6.0 pH. Tonight I'm bumping up the Bloom to 10ml/gal.

Thanks for everyones help!

IMG_0004392.JPG

Well I'm not sure what's going. This is a first for me. Two of the plants are getting close to harvest. They look great. Big bugs and crystals forming.

My third plant isn't doing anything. Completely stalled. It has nice green leaves, looks healthy, nice pistols with a few trichromes... but not growing buds. It just keeps getting taller and taller. I'm out of room in my grow room. Is there anything I can do to kickstart it? I'm currently feeding it 15ml/gal of Floranova bloom and 5ml CalMag. (That's what all three are getting at the moment).

Here's the stalled one.

IMG_007976.JPG

Here's one of the other two that are getting close to harvest

IMG_007876.JPG
IMG_007876.JPG

The top picture (left plant) is the one that's not doing anything .........practically zero trichromes. Plant to the left was planted at the same time, same feeding, same everything but started getting taller than the others and never fully bloomed. They all started blooming at the same time too. So strange. Very good seeds and didn't have this with other rounds.

I also move the plants around in the grow room so that they don't sit in one spot the entire growth cycle.

No idea? I'm going to be harvesting the two plants that were successful. I don't know what to do with the left one. The pistils are starting to turn brown on the left one and there are hardly any trichromes. I'm may just cut it down and start over.

Back
Top Bottom