Huge problem in my tent - Need advice

SCROG IT

I have never seen this before .... please help
IMG_216324.JPG

I agree - it looks like a PH swing.

Flush, and make sure that ph is correct (calibrate meter- let the mix sit awhile- double/triple check the ph if need be). If you are planning on letting them grow a while yet (I'm guessing that you are) then you need to re-supply nutrients that are washed out during the flush. So either flush with a mix contain those nutrients, or at least make sure to run plenty of the (ph balanced) nute solution through the pots at the end the flush. Flushing is drastic and will leave them starving, which is sometimes the point, obviously. But unless you mean to harvest the plants immediately after the flush and don't care how trashed they get - it's essential to restore a good ph/nutrient balance in the pots.

I have, more than once in the past, and it happened when my ph meter went wonky and I fed the entire grow with a ph that was way off. The whole grow went for shit overnight. I also flushed one time and forgot to add calmag after, which the plants didn't appreciate either.
Soil is normally quite resistant to ph swings though. Since I'm not a soil grower (I grow mostly in sunshine mix) -it's getting outside my (so-called) expertise and I'm not sure how much your soil would be affected by a ph mistake.
Try checking your runoff when you next feed or flush and that should help tell you what's going on.

All ph meters need to be stored with the tip wet, preferably in ph probe storage solution, and calibrated against a known ph fairly regularly.
If stored dry they don't last very long before going crazy, and generally they go crazy eventually anyway.

All ph meters need to be stored with the tip wet, preferably in ph probe storage solution, and calibrated against a known ph fairly regularly.
If stored dry they don't last very long before going crazy, and generally they go crazy eventually anyway.

I hate to disagree, but mine has instructions and it does not mention storing wet. In fact it says to rinse with distilled water and let dry. I've had it 2 years and it still calibrates to within 0.1 PH of my calibration solutions. I use three different PH value solutions to check it.

No problem Major. Getting differing opinions is the nature of the FAQ's and personally I always post just to give my 2c to the mix, never thinking everything I say must be always right- that would be way too much responsibility.
It's just been my experience that they don't last when dry, and (almost) everything I've read tells me to keep ph probes wet. All the cheap ph pens I used to buy came with a cap designed to store solution in them to keep the probe wet. It says on my Bluelab meter- 'if it dries, it dies'.
Regardless of the wet/dry conditions- a ph tester should last more than a month before screwing up. Should check the calibration though.

Major, do you think this soil mix he is using would be affected by feeding with a poor ph? Isn't soil somewhat immune to ph swings?

Back
Top Bottom