First time plant murderer

apmontgo

Hello all,

I am 2 weeks into making my first grow room (closet), and I'm royally screwing it up. I got clones from a friend which came in individual starter pots about 3 inches deep and 2 inches diameter. When I got them they looked green and healthy. Here's what two weeks with my black thumb has done:

plants410.jpg

plants313.jpg

plants219.jpg

plants118.jpg

I'm trying to diagnose the problem(s) and ideally keep from killing them the rest of the way. If anyone can diagnose their main problem, I'd be super thankful! Here are the steps/mistakes I've made along the way:

I immediately transplanted them into 10 inch pots (or thereabouts, I can't find my measuring tape right now) using formula 420 potting soil with nothing else added. Here's the soil:
EB_Stone_420_Mix_84240_1370477399_1280_1280.jpg

I then buried them to the point that their first leaves would be just above touching the soil. This put their current roots about 3/4 of the way deep into their new pots. I then watered them in as normal.

I put them in a 2x4 foot closet, about a foot under a 300W LED.

I then put aluminum foil over the walls, floor, and wrapped around the individual pots. Then I waited a couple days and watered them again.

Then came the death. One by one, from smallest plant to largest, they started having problems. One of them looked a little wilty (which is why I watered them so soon after planting), and then each of them started getting yellow leaves that would slowly die / exhibit burn signs as you can see in the pictures.

I have been panic researching and have come up with this list of things I did wrong, and tried to fix each in turn:

1) Too much light! The lamp was too close to them, and the foil probably didn't help. I have since raised the light to be about 3 feet above them, which is above the manufacturer's recommendation of 24 inches. My light is on for 16 hours a day.

2) Overwatering! Shouldn't have watered them that second time, the soil was still moist to the touch.

3) Foil over the drainage holes. Yeah, this was particularly stupid. The drainage holes are along the sides of the bottoms of the pots. not the underside. Even though water came out when I watered them the second time, I had the holes mostly covered with foil for the first week. I have since taken off the foil from the pots.

4) Pots are too big! I think the pots are too big and the plants are possibly too deep. This probably made the overwatering worse.

5) No humidity? I assume there was some humidity from the water in the pots and the small enough space, but I didn't have any added humidity.

6) Circulation? I didn't have a fan in there for the first week, though I had been opening the door about 4 times a day.

So now I've raised the light and taken all the foil out, except for a bit on the floor that's protecting my carpet. I've added a humidifier that keeps them around 70% humidity all the time. I added a small intake fan on the ground and a small outtake fan at the top of the closet. I haven't watered them again because the soil still feels moist and they're not drooping. But...

They're still dying! It's been 5 days since I undid all the stupid mistakes I could think of, but leaves are still bleaching and yellowing and dying. Now it looks like they're either still dying from one or many of these issues:

1) Light burn (though the light is a bit more than 3 feet above them, only on for 16 hours/day, and nothing is reflecting it other than the white-ish walls)
2) Overwatering (possible, but it's been more than a week since I last watered them now) or
3) Nitrogen deficiency (which seems unlikely since they're so young and they were just put into a nice organic potting soil).

Please help!!!
Alex

Sorry for the wall of text everyone.
Too long didn't read: Can anyone guess what's going on with my plants in the above photos? I think it looks like light burn, but I've raised the lights 3 days ago and they're still getting worse. Does this just take time, or is it some other problem?

They might have transplant shock coupled with all the other stressors it could have extended their recovery time leaving them almost stagnant.
You could help them along by getting them out of the direct light so they can build some roots, I usually put newly transplanted plants off to the side away from the light so they focus less on vegetative growth and more on root building.
Then move them a little closer to the light every other day only after I see rapid new growth. Only water when they dry out a bit, and always water till you see some come out the bottom, completely saturate the soil everytime and let it dry before watering again, not completely dry but enough that the pot feels almost as light as when you first filled it with soil.
Best of luck

Keep in mind that those pale dying leaves won't recover. Pay attention mostly to any new growth to learn whether your changes have been positive or negative.

It takes time too.

After each attempt at murdering them, expect it to take at least 1 week to really start growing again.

Barring any extreme mistakes, plants respond in terms of weeks, not hours or days...

Taking pics often gives you a great tool to use to monitor subtle progress from day to day...

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Manufacturers website says:

The secret recipe grower formula for vital growth and optimum impact. The Emerald Triangle blend is a special blend of ingredients hand selected specifically for the needs of professional flower growers. Our 100% natural & organic formula is carefully crafted to provide the ideal conditions for cut flower production. Recipe 420 is a blend of premium aged fir bark, coir, sphagnum peat moss, pumice, earthworm castings, seabird guano, crab meal, and humic acids. Enhanced with mycorrhizal fungi and beneficial soil bacteria. Great for indoor and outdoor use. Comes in a 1.5 cuft bag.

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

I used that same soil but I cut it by 1/3 with perlite, my buddy used it after he tried some of my smoke, uncut with no problems and in only 35 gallon totes his plants were over 14 feet tall and had huge buds. It's great soil.
I had a few long stem plants and buried them down as well and I had the same happen to them I figured out after awhile that I was watering to light since the root ball was so deep so I started watering to run off problem solved if the soil around the roots doesn't get saturated then the nutrition isn't soluble and can't be absorbed. Oh and one more thing they are trying to grow roots from the buried stem right now as well and really do like low light conditions while trying to grow just roots. Check out how far away my lights are right now I just put them directly under
420-magazine-mobile1764923268.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using 420

Thanks everyone! Glad to hear that the soil isn't just a con job. I do wish I had cut it with perlite though. It's taking forever to dry out and I really don't want to water them again until I'm sure they need it. The leaves that were already pale are indeed continuing to die, but the tiny new growth seems to be a nice shade of green and starting to grow again. Thanks for the help!

U burned your plants probably by not getting your PH down to standard such as 5.5 to 6.0 ph ratio for your water, use shark root transper when getting clones to prevent from shock.. sprinkle it all over the base of roots

Back
Top Bottom