My pot lost its pot smell

Stonehenge

I harvested my plants according to instruction I found in the forums and dried it for a few days and then followed the curing directions and it lost that smell. Is this normal, will it come back, does this mean anything? Thanks for any input!

Sorry, its bag seed, my first grow, I cut it and hung it for one day then put into paper bags until it was dry enough. Then I put it into canning jars in a cool and dark place. When I opened the jars to rotate and let it breath it had lost its pot smell. There doesn't seem to be any moldy or metallic smell though. Anything I missed? Thanks!

Its not cured enough and will taste harsh. Let cure longer, you might have to rehydrate. The cannabis smell is low because of the breakdown process and is normal.

Dude ,just let it dry.If you put it into jars and see moisture on the sides , it's not dry enough.The grassy smell will start to take on an oder like ammonia if your buds are starting to break down due to mold.Have patience , I like to let it cure for at least 4/5 weeks.

isaacnd200 said:
Dude ,just let it dry.If you put it into jars and see moisture on the sides , it's not dry enough.The grassy smell will start to take on an oder like ammonia if your buds are starting to break down due to mold.Have patience , I like to let it cure for at least 4/5 weeks.

He is right. If it is not dry enough it will spoil in the jar. I check the dryness with my teeth biting down softly onto the stem. it should give and crack easily. I only use my teeth instead of my hands cause the jaw muscles are a lot more sensitive than my fingers.

If the stem breaks easily it's too dry, imo.
Weed should be kept at the same moisture level as a humidor cigar. It can be stored in tip-top condition for DECADES (just like cigars) this way.
I store my weed in clean 1 gal. food-grade plastic containers that I recycle from the local deli, ones that used to hold mayo, etc. Then every morning I take out enough to last me through the day. I place the nug(s) in a shot glass and use scissors to cut it up into smoking consistancy.
It's dry enough to smoke in a pipe straight from the jar, but I find it burns a bit better when it loses a tiny bit more moisture than it was stored in.

I discovered curing by accident back in '70 or '71, when I harvested a bunch of low-potency leaf. While still moist I put it in an old tobacco humidor and I smoked some every day for a few weeks until I could score some bud. I left the leaf stuff in the sealed container, for an emergency stash.
I basically forgot about it cause we were scoring good weed (Panama Red).
A few months later some people stopped by. They were headed cross-country and asked if I could turn them on for the long drive.
I reached into the container and stuffed a big ol handfull into a baggie and gave it to them. Better than nothing I figured.
A few days later they called and thanked me for the good weed!
I rushed over to the container and rolled up a fat one.
And got nicely stoned. Not as good as bud of course but WAY better than it was when I put it into the container. I was like Hummm. I didn't know what had happened. What I had done was to cure it, but I didn't know that at the time.
I mentioned this to a girl I knew and she said her dad, a beatnik who'd been smoking weed since the early 50's always did that to the weed he grew. I talked to him about it and he filled me in a bit more, and I've been doing it ever since.

Back
Top Bottom