Thread: Leaves curling up, tips turning yellow/brown

420 Member

Leaves curling up, tips turning yellow/brown

I'm about 2 weeks from seed with 7 plants, 4 medijuana and 3 what look like afghan.

The leaves are curling up, and on 1 of the afghans 2 of the leaves are starting to yellow on the tips with one leaf starting to get some brown on the tip.

I first thought it was heat stress but my temp has been staying around 80 give or take a couple of degrees for the most part. I did raise the light a bit but they are still curling. I'm using an 8 bulb 4' t5.

So then I checked my ph, the runoff was testing out around 5.5, I meant to get some lime today but didn't make it to town in time. I did test my regular tap water and it tests around 7.0 so I went ahead and just flushed them all.

I've been using a weak solution of superthrive and mg starter with my watering up until a few days ago when I did away with the mg starter and added a weak solution of fish emulsions instead.

I do have a good flow of air over the plants as I have a humidifier blowing over them. My humidity stays between 30-40% which I know is a little low, I do have a bigger humidifier I can use if you think I need to get the humidity higher.

My question is this, can a low ph cause leaves to curl up and yellow, then brown on the tips? If so do you think by flushing it with a ph 7 straight water will fix the issue? Also do I need to get my humidity higher?

Here's a pic:

You can see the journal in my signature, it says outdoor grow but I went ahead and included my indoor plants in it as well.

Thanks!

420 Member of the Month HazeSeeker's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Leaves curling up, tips turning yellow/brown

If your Ph is not right ...your plants cant absorb nutes as well as they would with normal ph ...post some pics ...it will be easyer to help ...
    Here's something for the bigining ....

End here is link for posting photos ...if you dont know how ...PIC.
    cheers !

420 Member

Here's a pic of one of the medijuana's that has it's leaves curling up:

Plant of the Month Winner DEAN420's Avatar

raise your humidty because your plants are trying to retain as much water as possible by broadening out there leaves and curling there edges to catch as much water a possible.

Ph should be amended to a range of 6.2 to 6.8
    How to Grow Marijuana - Everything You Need to Know!

If humanity wishes to save itself from biospheric destruction it must return to living in natural time

420 Member

Thanks thatboydean, I flushed it with ph 7 tap water earlier today and added a bigger 2nd humidifier a few minutes ago. The humidity was 34% and is now up to 42%, the bigger one has a sensor on it I have set to 55%.

I'm heading to wal mart in a few minutes so hopefully they'll have some lime.

Also, how long should you keep them in the dixie cups? I was thinking of letting them go another week or so and moving them to 5 gallon pots.

420 Member

No lime at the walmart, guess I'll have to pick some up from the farm store tomorrow. Another thing I wondered is I taped tinfoil to the sides of my light around the plants a few days ago and wonder if it was creating hotspots? I went ahead and removed it, temps are at about 75 with humidity up to 45% now. Hopefully it will be in the 50's tomorrow and hopefully the leaves will go back down to normal.

Blog Entries

I'm new to growing and I read a lot of ur guys post and they have helped me out alot. But now I really need help

I have a 600w hps light. Started from seeds I have 6 plants in a 6x6x6 grodan cubes. I'm watering to wast. I water once a day when the lights come on watering till I see som water come out of the bottom of the cubes. I did the vegetation stage with no problems using sensi grow a and b, b52, and voodoo for the first two weeks. The plans looked great then at about a foot and a half tall and 6 weeks I switch into flower 12/12. Now I'm using your chart. In the first week I used connoisseur a and b, voodoo, piranha, bud candy, tarantula, sensizym, bud ignitor, rino skin, bud factor x I used full strength about 1300 ppm I started having problems with the lower leaves turning light yellow or lime green and falling off there not dry or any thing. With some browning of a few of the leaves. The plants are now about 2 and a half foot tall in the second week I added big bud. And separated them thinking they weren't getting light down there and switched to about 1100 ppm 3/4 strength. Always ph 5.8 to 6.0 using r/o water letting it airate for a couple days before mixing in nuts. 75 to 80 deg. Temp. Have a fan going 24-7 And now that I put into flower I put a dehumidifier in and keeping it about 45%. But the problem is getting worse. The bottom of my plans are almost bare but the tops look great. Can you tell what I'm doing wrong.
    I bought all 4 stages of nuts from hobbiest to grandmaster level.
    Thank you
    Last edited by Happy Kitty; 02-07-2014 at 05:39 PM. Reason: move pic category fix link

Blog Entries

I'm new to growing and I read a lot of ur guys post and they have helped me out alot. But now I really need help

I have a 600w hps light. Started from seeds I have 6 plants in a 6x6x6 grodan cubes. I'm watering to wast. I water once a day when the lights come on watering till I see som water come out of the bottom of the cubes. I did the vegetation stage with no problems using sensi grow a and b, b52, and voodoo for the first two weeks. The plans looked great then at about a foot and a half tall and 6 weeks I switch into flower 12/12. Now I'm using your chart. In the first week I used connoisseur a and b, voodoo, piranha, bud candy, tarantula, sensizym, bud ignitor, rino skin, bud factor x I used full strength about 1300 ppm I started having problems with the lower leaves turning light yellow or lime green and falling off there not dry or any thing. With some browning of a few of the leaves. The plants are now about 2 and a half foot tall in the second week I added big bud. And separated them thinking they weren't getting light down there and switched to about 1100 ppm 3/4 strength. Always ph 5.8 to 6.0 using r/o water letting it airate for a couple days before mixing in nuts. 75 to 80 deg. Temp. Have a fan going 24-7 And now that I put into flower I put a dehumidifier in and keeping it about 45%. But the problem is getting worse. The bottom of my plans are almost bare but the tops look great. Can you tell what I'm doing wrong.
    I bought all 4 stages of nuts from hobbiest to grandmaster level.
    Thank you

over-watering can cause this problem try to dry the soil better before watering