How do they feminize seeds?

mikecrows

tried word search,nothing found. does anyone know the exact process used to determine feminine seeds?do they manipulate the chromosomes on a genetic level.say remove the y chrome? or x? how is it then bread into a plant that only produces femes? F.Y.I. there is a new show airing tonight on P.B.S. called Botany of Desire.in the Boston market it comes on 8 p.m. on GBH 2. IT DID showcase our beloved girls hopefully it will be of some interest to our community and also informative in a positive way. if it's debuting tonite, hopefully it will debut and show in more markets country/world wide. thanks for any info,and any discussion about this new show too.

Gibberelic Acid can be used to make a female plant (XX) produce male flowers with only female pollen (X). (the female plant cant make (Y) pollen as it is (XX)).

Silver nitrate can also be used for similar effects.

I think there is a third way with different chemicals that i dont know enough about. I think this isthe way the seed banks do it as Gibb and AgNO3 has to have the right conc.

thanks to all who answered. interested in the whole process.anybody check out The Botany of Desire?i made it thru the apples, then the brownies caught up w/ me and it was lites out! how do u post a brand new thread? i just made a batch of cookies w/ oil. The recipe called for butter/margarine, i substituted same amnts of oil for butter, it worked great!!! trick or treat?

tried word search,nothing found. does anyone know the exact process used to determine feminine seeds?

I have been searching the net for info on female seeds. It led me here. The info you ask for is here. Silver Thiosulfate Solution is the other chemical they use in creating Fem seeds. STS is the one of choice by fem seed makers, effective and cheap.
Look around here first, lots of questions have been answered already.
Thanx to the staff of 420Magazine, the best info is right here. :thanks:

to get feminized seeds you must take the pollen from a female that has been sprayed with Gibberelic Acid and is now male, then put some of that pollen on your female plant, (some people put a bag over the cola so the pollen dosn't get to the whole plant) and out will pop seeds on your nugs, and they should be female... important part: the female you sprayed with the GA must be a strong female and will not turn hermi when stressed. this is not a short process, it takes 5 weeks to get pollen after you find a hardy female... if you need more info, its in the grow bible ;)

Racefan turned me onto this, Ive done it and it works

Feminizing seeds methods

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Creating feminized cannabis seeds is an art. Just like art, there are a few different methods of application. I have written about some of my different methods of making seeds in previous HIGH TIMES articles. I have used gibberellic acid, pH stress, light stress, and fertilizer stress to force my female plants to make seeds. All of these methods are harsh on the plants, and some, like the gibberellic acid, are not organic. In my search for cleaner, more earth-friendly ways of working with the cannabis plant, I have found a new way to make feminized seeds. Feminized seeds occur as a result of stress, rather than genetics. All cannabis plants can and will make male flowers under stress. Certain strains like a higher pH, some a lower one. Some like a lot of food, some like much less. There is quite a lot of variety in marijuana genetics, and you can’t treat every plant the same way.

It takes many harvests before you really get to know a particular strain. Just like getting to know human friends, it takes time. I have grown the same strains for close to a decade, and am truly getting to know every nuance the different plants exhibit. I can recognize them from a distance. I must say that I get a lot of help from my friends, both in making seeds and in learning new and better ways of working with this sacred plant.

I named this new method "Rodelization," after a friend who helped me realize and make use of this way of creating female seeds. After growing crop after crop of the same plants in the same conditions, I noticed that if I flowered the plants 10-14 days longer than usual, they would develop male "bananas." A male banana is a very slight male flower on a female marijuana plant that is formed because of stress. Usually they do not let out any pollen early enough to make seeds, but they sometimes do. They are a built-in safety factor so that in case of severe conditions, the plant can make sure the species is furthered.

To me, a male banana is quite a beautiful thing. It has the potential of making all female seeds. Many growers out there have male-banana phobia. They see one and have heart palpitations, they want to cut down the entire crop, or at the very least take tweezers and pluck the little yellow emergency devices out. I call them "emergency devices" because they emerge at times of stress.

In the Rodelization method, the male banana is very valuable. After growing your female plants 10-14 days longer than usual, hang them up to dry, then carefully take them off the drying lines and inspect for bananas. Each and every banana should be removed, and placed in a small bag labeled very accurately. These sealed bags can be placed in the fridge for one or two months and still remain potent.

For the next phase, you need to have a separate crop that’s already 2 1/2 weeks into flowering. Take your sealed bags of pollen out of the fridge, and proceed to impregnate your new crop of females. To do this, you must first match the female plant and the pollen from the same strain in the previous crop. Shut all the fans in the growroom down. Then take a very fine paintbrush, dip it in the bag of pollen, and paint it on the female flower. Do this to each different strain you have growing together. I have done it with up to 10 different kinds in the same room with great success.

I use the lower flowers to make seeds, leaving the top colas seedless for smoking. This method takes time (two crops), but is completely organic, and lets you have great-quality smoke at the same time you make your female seeds. If you’re one of those growers who’s never grown seeds for fear of not having something good to smoke, you will love this method.

You can also use this pollen to make new female crosses by cross-pollinating. The older females with the male bananas can be brought into the room with the younger, unpollinated females after they are three weeks into flowering. Turn all of the circulation fans on high, and the little bits of pollen will proceed to make it around the room. Do this for several days. Six to seven weeks later, you will have ripe 100% feminized seeds; not nearly as many as a male plant would make, but enough to start over somewhere else with the same genetics.

As a farmer who has been forced to move his genetics far away from where they started, I know very well the value of seeds. My friend Adam from ThSeeds in Amsterdam has a motto that I love to borrow these days: Drop seeds not bombs.

Info by Soma

Hope this helps. Soma is amazing!!

Oh Pitviper, just excellent news coming from Soma. I site I used to belong to would have considered this method creates only hermi seeds. But the idea of stress makes sense. Where did you find this? :peace:

Thanks again! new at this sight,maybe my navigation was/is off. I typed in the question on search here,checked the seed/procreation subject heading, came up w/ nada. whoda thunk cannibanoid imbibing individuals could make things complicated? LOL i was thinking more on the lines of high powered microscopic determination of genes/chromosomes of pollen on a molecular level.It's truly amazing how we've been graced by a plant that has the intelligence to revert to its dioecious nature to further its procreative success, and how we use it for ours as well.Thanks again! off to see the wizard.

Hi mikecrows, It is posted by medical marijauna. The thread is titled "how to reverse sex of using silver thiosulfate solution" It's a nice read and the info comes from Fet. Fet is from Spice Brothers Seed co. :peace:

Ps Fet was a mod. on a site I was a previously a member of. Last time I online chatted with Fet ('07) he was working on a strain he called Dizzy. It grew like a vine along the ground instead of the traditional Christmas tree or bush. The idea was to breed a stealth plant to grow in your backyard.

in one of my first cult. books they did train the girls to grow in different ways and directions to compensate for weight dispersal due to heavy colas/fruit. They trained a girl to weave thru a yard/garden trellis to be stealthy just like u said. Provided they either tied or directed her, she was extremely versatile. I tried a similar method, on a diagonal, and it worked amazingly well! Our girls are very adaptable. But thru evolutionary developement, it seems to be Natures plan for our girls to mainly grow up, up to the sun, roots to the h2o & nutes,that appears to be their main goal. As long as it's needs are met on all of those levels, does shape really matter? cool, thanks again.

speaking of male nanners.....in the 3rd week i extended night and on the 5th went back to 13 dark.....
MVC-663S.JPG

n yes the first thing i did was pull out that old issue with soma's article!

Back
Top Bottom