Who has the best Durban Poison?

out99990

I'm looking for experienced opinions on which seedbank carries the best PURE Durban Poison strain. I also wouldn't mind input on what you all think of the Durban/Skunk crosses. :thanks:

Re: who has the best Durban Poison ?

Thanks for the responses guys!!! Anyone else care to share opinions/experience with the pure Durbans or the Durban/Skunk crosses?

Cant say anything about pure Durban, but am currently growing a couple of the Urban Poison as a surprise wedding gift for some friends.

A couple of things I can say about them for sure.

Really tall plants-I started flowering when they were about 7-8 inches high, now they are about 4-5 feet!

Easy to grow- Germinated 3 seeds, all of them took off. My PH was about 7.5 for a couple of months before I bothered checking ( lazy me ) , these plants are bullet proof! I had to bend the Sh*t out of these to fit into my box, to the point of breaking one. It healed just fine, tuff plants!

LOOONG flowering time- I'm on week 10 and they are just barley starting to show any hairs. Read they can flower for 14-15 weeks plus.

Low Yield- I can only compare the yield to Indica dominate
strains to the way it is looking after 10 weeks of flowering. This is a plant you grow for yourself and the love of growing. Definitely not a commercial plant.

I smoked the durban while in SA years ago, I hope mine turn out as well!

If your planning on growing this strain, good luck and make sure you have the room. I didnt plan on them getting so big so fast and am now in a bind as my space is limited and they are laying at almost a 90 degree angle. I hope they slow down some.

Anyone grown these to the end cycle please post what I will have to expect. I really need to know when they will slow down growing up and out and when they will start filling in the buds.

usermax,

Damn those plants r gonna chase u right out of the house!
Thats a LOONG flower u gotta be Saudi to afford that.

LOL, no kidding!

Growing with CFL's so power is not a big deal, but they will probably be evicting me from the house soon!:slide:

thanks for the info usernamex, i was actually looking at that strain and now i know i can't use it-this is why i love getting info here. Keep the info coming folks!!!

Have read a few comments posted. I think sometimes people like to talk about stuff like they really know, when in fact, they don't. Here's the deal:Durban ROCKS! Have grown dozens of them. While they're growing, the other plants LOOK better. Durban is not as hairy or frosty...and it's definantly not f***ing purple(big deal). Nurture it. The hairy, frosty buds on the other plants will begin to form these fat, football shaped buds. Meanwhile the Durban will be making skinny buds!, but when the big frosty, hairy, football buds are at their max, the Durban buds keep getting longer and longer. And talk about dense! Smoking it, you can truely feel the ancient history this plant has with mankind. I almost made the mistake of underestimating this strain. I'm glad I followed through with everyone of them. As far as market value goes? Well, everybody and their grandmother has something "purple", or "gold", or a "kush" of some sort. WHO has African sativa? I would say you're good with Early Durban OR Durban Poison. They don't REALLY take so long to bud. Once you're cloning from a regenerate, it will take no time. I have also heard of another strain called "Power Africa". I have never grown it, but it's liable to be good.:bong:

Thank you Greengiant for the informative response. I live in southern Colorado where it gets really cold really early. I grow in an unheated greenhouse so i need something to come in a bit earlier. I plan to create my own breed and want the spirit to be all there-so your description about feeling like "sharing the history of mankind with the plant" was really encouraging. Do you have any particular favorite seedbanks you'd recommend for the Durban? Again, thanks for the descriptive response.

Thank you Greengiant for the informative response. I live in southern Colorado where it gets really cold really early. I grow in an unheated greenhouse so i need something to come in a bit earlier. I plan to create my own breed and want the spirit to be all there-so your description about feeling like "sharing the history of mankind with the plant" was really encouraging. Do you have any particular favorite seedbanks you'd recommend for the Durban? Again, thanks for the descriptive response.

You my friend are wanting to do exactly what I am currently doing, make a new breed.

I had a difficult time seeing one of my plants tucked way in the back of my grow box(2.5'x2.5'x4'. These things are really twisted up! Turns out it was male, or mostly male, and was starting to pollinate some of my plants, so much for fem seeds, although I was tuff on them and was probably the cause of it turning male.

I had a fem BC big bud I had just harvested about 90% in with the male. Now I have seeds growing on the last few buds on my big bud : ) and my other plants : (

Hopefully the big Bud cross will be super awesome fun time weed. Both plants were really hardy, should be interesting if I can get them to grow, I really want to name a new breed!

To answer your question about where to get the seeds: I dont think we are allowed to suggest any other vendors but the sponsors of this board out of respect.

I can also say with certainty I will now have about 20-40 seeds of the Urban myself. I plan on growing these outside guerrilla style in the spring now that I have a good supply of these really expensive seeds!

out99990. Colorado is one of my favorite places in the world. I'm green with envy. I have seen that there are places that sell single seeds from different sources. A nice option if you don't want to buy 10 or 12 seeds of a strain from a breeder you've never used before. As far as which breeders?, I feel like the Dutch really know what they're are doing. Not operating in an oppressive atmosphere probably doesn't hurt. I'd avoid strains that have 'purple', 'berry', or 'kush' in the name. They are 'hot' items, and I suspect overpriced...and in some cases, I'm sure, over-rated. Anyway, maybe try a few seeds from several breeders through a single seed source. last I saw, a person could get a few seeds of 3 or 4 different strains of Durban(including Power Africa) from 3 or 4 different breeders in one purchase.:rollit:

Thanks again Greengiant59! I will take your advice on the fewer seeds/more breeders angle. I love your description concerning the high of Durban in your earlier post-exactly what i'm looking for!!!!!

Thanks again Greengiant59! I will take your advice on the fewer seeds/more breeders angle. I love your description concerning the high of Durban in your earlier post-exactly what i'm looking for!!!!!
My pleasure!!! Please keep me posted on how it turns out! I'm pulling for you. Sending good vibes~~~~;):headbanger::headbanger::headbanger:

LOL, no kidding!

Growing with CFL's so power is not a big deal, but they will probably be evicting me from the house soon!:slide:

CFL's are great, and no giant electric bill. Let's hope they do not evict you and the Durban.
Good luck,:ganjamon: and keep us posted I will be here:goodjob:

Have read a few comments posted. I think sometimes people like to talk about stuff like they really know, when in fact, they don't. Here's the deal:Durban ROCKS! Have grown dozens of them. While they're growing, the other plants LOOK better. Durban is not as hairy or frosty...and it's definantly not f***ing purple(big deal). Nurture it. The hairy, frosty buds on the other plants will begin to form these fat, football shaped buds. Meanwhile the Durban will be making skinny buds!, but when the big frosty, hairy, football buds are at their max, the Durban buds keep getting longer and longer. And talk about dense! ...Early Durban OR Durban Poison. They don't REALLY take so long to bud. Once you're cloning from a regenerate, it will take no time. I have also heard of another strain called "Power Africa". I have never grown it, but it's liable to be good.:bong:

Kind of took your beginning statement as an insult :peace:, so here I am following up as I just got done with my little Urban Poison grow. I have grown a quite few different strains in soil from seed, never the same breed, so I would like to think I am talking about something I'm somewhat familiar with. :winkyface:

Based on my grow, I will have to disagree with some of what you described.

Could be the Durban grows a bit different than the Urban but it took a total of 15 weeks flowering and could have still went further, I needed my grow space back and had to chop them down. I'd say 15+ weeks is an incredibly long flower time!

The buds did get long, but under CFL's no buds get that dense, this proved especially true with this strain. Can also say my buds did get hairy.

As far as cloning, I dont clone, I dont have the room, my box is 4x4x4 and these plants are too much for my tiny space as it is, combined with the super long flowering time and relatively small yield compared to other indica/sativa mix strains I think I would go crazy growing this strain for any amount of time.

I dont personally smoke, but have given it out to friends ( I dont sell either, ya I'm a good friend to know! ). The high from this plant was described as a really fast acting head high with an excellent flavor and sweet aroma, even though the jarred buds smelled kind of woody.

As a consolation I did happily breed this strain with some BC Big Bud. I now have 31 viable seeds to work with. I plan on blogging my grow with this strain sometime this summer.

Hopefully my new strain doesn't take on the long flowering time, but keeps the fast acting high and good flavor. I guess that will be a roll of mother natures dice.

Regardless of the outcome, I will now have my very own strain I can name. Keep a lookout for my blog this summer!

Back
Top Bottom