Are there any strains of Marijuana that can be grown in cold climates?

I wanted to know if there were any strains of Marijuana that were able to grow and thrive in cold climates.

Not to my knowledge. Maybe autoflower varieties would have more cold resistance.

I think one of the autos, like LR2, would be a good choice for a cold climate grow, but if it stays down below 60 too much, their growth will slow way down.

Some of the genes for autos come from Siberia, so I'd go with an auto strain. They used to all be easy to grow, but there are some auto strains now that aren't, like auto blueberry, so I'd stay away from those.

I wanted to know if there were any strains of Marijuana that were able to grow and thrive in cold climates.

Consider indoors in a grow tent where the climate is yours to command ;)

How cold are we taking about? after all didn't some strains evolve in the Himalayas?

Are you in ground or containers? if containers how big?

I would build a greenhouse, the outdoor equivalent of the indoor grow tent.

There are strains that grow well in many climates. Without knowing more than just the generalization of "cold," it is impossible to be sure, but...

Look on your favorite seedbank's website for landraces that are from parts of the world with similar climate and daylight schedule as your area has. They might not have the "over the top" appeal of some of the newest strains but a strain that will grow and successfully flower (completely) in your area that has a pretty good affect beats any strain that has the world's strongest affect but won't live in your climate long enough to be mature when cut. You're more likely to be dealing with a stabilized strain without a great deal of phenotype variation with landraces. And some of them have been quite stellar.

I had a good friend in Vermont who used to invite me out to help with some of his "Spring" preparations. In Vermont the "spring" starts in late June, then in early October you can count on snow and the end of the "season" there.
He had an heirloom strain that has been grown in his family for quite some time, some 40 years. It is very reminiscent of an auto flower, however it does depend on the photoperiod for flowering. The natural photoperiod there changes pretty drastically over even weeks. The way he achieved success was by utilizing the canopy-grow method. He owned the better part of a mountain in southern Vermont. And we would spend several days taking out 3 week old plants and climbing trees, then wedging the 4 gallon pots in the high up crotches of the limbs, then bungy-chording them in place. That way providing the full amount of sun possible in that harsh climate. The wind in the branches actually promoted massive stalks and strong root development. The strain he had ended up being around 2-1/2 feet high very consistently and the whole plant was one giant (and purple from the colder conditions during the end of the season) conical bud.
So from my experience every climate has a ganja that has been naturally adapted to it.
If not naturally then people's want of quality medicine has pushed them to create strains that can grow anywhere.

I had a good friend in Vermont who used to invite me out to help with some of his "Spring" preparations. In Vermont the "spring" starts in late June, then in early October you can count on snow and the end of the "season" there.
He had an heirloom strain that has been grown in his family for quite some time, some 40 years. It is very reminiscent of an auto flower, however it does depend on the photoperiod for flowering. The natural photoperiod there changes pretty drastically over even weeks. The way he achieved success was by utilizing the canopy-grow method. He owned the better part of a mountain in southern Vermont. And we would spend several days taking out 3 week old plants and climbing trees, then wedging the 4 gallon pots in the high up crotches of the limbs, then bungy-chording them in place. That way providing the full amount of sun possible in that harsh climate. The wind in the branches actually promoted massive stalks and strong root development. The strain he had ended up being around 2-1/2 feet high very consistently and the whole plant was one giant (and purple from the colder conditions during the end of the season) conical bud.
So from my experience every climate has a ganja that has been naturally adapted to it.
If not naturally then people's want of quality medicine has pushed them to create strains that can grow anywhere.

Good share. Cannabis is a highly adaptable plant for sure. I had read that when hemp was being used for rope making, there was good strains for that growing in United States but when these strains were moved to the Middle East region of the world, within a few generations, the plants became useless for hemp as the machinery would get clogged up with resin; something the plants did not produce a lot of when grown in the US.

So, if you can successfully get a strain to survive in your climate, you may see it adapt to the new climate.

.......So from my experience every climate has a ganja that has been naturally adapted to it......
.....If not naturally then people's want of quality medicine has pushed them to create strains that can grow anywhere.

+Rep I and many other New Englanders appreciate the summer but also prize the winter because some strains do far better at colder temps.
+Rep

In upstate NY near Lake ontario everyone swears by Northern Lights for their outdoor. Ihave also heard of some afgani strains doing well out here.

In upstate NY near Lake ontario everyone swears by Northern Lights for their outdoor. Ihave also heard of some afgani strains doing well out here.

+Rep Gunnr I forgot to add the strains. Northern Light No5 and Alaskan Thunderfuck by far The BEST coldweather indoor strains I have grown along with any Skunks, Afghani, White Widow, anything White or Ice, Strawberry Cough, Blueberry, most strains from Holland and New England will survive anything as we have sometimes 40 degree swings in teperature in any 24hr period.

Back
Top Bottom