Heat mat for clones

ilikebike

hey guys i recently built myself a clone chamber for clones i plan on cutting off of my PPP plant. i bought feminized seeds so these clones will be fully grown, not just to find out the sex of the plant. I have read a few things online saying that you should use a heat mat to promote root growth. I am wondering if it really makes a difference? i can buy a heat mat with thermostat for $25 at my local store, is it worth the money to buy one? any help would be great thanks

heres pics of the clone chamber, i plan on putting the mat underneath the entire bin if i do buy a heat mat

IMG_20111031_184458.jpg
IMG_20111031_184514.jpg
IMG_20111031_191856.jpg

If you've got an old heating pad, that'll work. I have used one in the past when ambient temperatures were low enough to warrant it. Don't set your cuttings directly on it though, because the temperature even on low might be a little high.

Oh, and I stated "old" because I bought a newer one last Spring and it had an automatic shutoff after a certain amount of time.

For me I have rooted cuttings w/wo a heat mat. I think ambient air temp., provided it be the minimum, no drafts and moisture affect more than the need for heat unless your area is too cold and then you'll have bigger fish to fry. I also am a lover of Aeroponics and totally enjoy near 100% success rate and a few days faster too. Can't say enough about Aeroponics. I also would NEVER use a heat mat designed for people in a dry situation. The chances of a shock from one is pretty large. Heat mats are water proof for a reason. Don't mess with a few dollars savings when its your life...

All you need to do is make sure your air in the clone box is 80 - 84 degrees. The way I do mine is in rockwool cubes. I use olivias solution and soak the cubes in olivias cloneing solution at 1 tablesmoon per 2 or 3 cups phed water at 6.5 ph thereabout. Take your cutting and dip the root in either clonex or dip-n-grow which works great. Put in in the rockwell cube which has been just barely pinched so some of the water comes out. Then I put it in a clear plastic cup. Put a hole or 2 in the cup for ventilation. Then I take another clear cup and put it on top of the bottom cup to make a dome. Then I masking tape the thing shut around the rim. Date and label the cut and place under your mother plant out of direct light. Leave this for 7 days and dont water or mist. After day 7 open it and water the cube enuff so there is some in the bottom of the cup. Then seal it again and roots will show in 1 or 2 days. I do it this way because my plant numbers are limited by state law and I never seem to clone more then 2 clones at a time. This is a worry free way.....no misting...no wondering if it needs water...and with a 100% success rate since I started over 50 clones at least. Usually roots show after day 8...almost always.

By the way...I grow the hell outa Nervanas Pure Power Plant. I also have many of their other strains growing. Ak48, Raspberry, PPP, Blackjack (love it), I just ordered Wonder women and Bubblishous last week durring their weekend whopper sale. December is also free seed month with a 10 pack of free mixed seeds with every order.

The root zone should be 75 degrees. If it's lower then that use a heat mat. I use a Clone Kit for cloning. It comes with a thermometer. I put the thermometer in a rock wool cube or in a soil cup next to the cutting.

In the summer I don't need added heat, but this time of year my garden is cold, so out comes the heat mat,

Back
Top Bottom