Soaking seeds in hydrogen peroxide?

mangosnapper

I watched a guy on you tube getting his seeds ready for germination. And he took a Red Solo Cup, filled it 3/4 of the way up with Hy- Peroxide and 1'4 water. And then he dropped like 5 or so seeds in it to soak for like 5 minutes while he got his soil mix ready to put them in, for them to germinate. He say's he gets better than 90% popping rate success, and the Hy- Peroxide kills any bad things that might be on his seeds. So he is starting off in a clean and healthy environment... " I never heard of this before. And the price of seeds is so much, I am scared to try it. But if it is true and better...I want to know!!!... Does anyone know of this, True or False? "

Hi mango, How are ya???
Firstly mate, Im a seed grower in soil.. I germinate my seeds in one of 2 ways, I either use wet paper towelling or I just a cotton ball. Just make sure it remains moist and sit on a window sill in some sun or under some CFL's or wotever.
I always get them to sprout and even just planting in soil they will germinate too as long as you dont put em far down. 1cm is perfect!! In paper towel keep it moist and about 2 days the seed pod should split and soon youl see the tap root coming down, when it pops out, plant the seed with that, facing down, or the seed on it side.. REMEMBER only 1=1.5cm deep tops...
Hydrogen peroxide??? Ive heard of it being used to water plants in soil, but I wouldnt reccomend trying that!! It may work IDK as Ive never tried it, but most seeds will pop if theyre still alive and given some warmth and moisture.. Hope tis help buddy;) Smokemup

Thanks Smoke, Using the paper towel is how I was taught and ever used. I wish I would have saved the link for the you tube post from that guy that used the hydrogen peroxide to soak his seeds first ( next time ) ...But he was adamant about the benefits by doing it. I have some real good strains of seeds coming from Holland very soon... I can't wait to Germ. them. " Thanks Mate " :Namaste:

What's the longest time it should take for seeds to germ in wet paper towel method before you would write them off as duds? Considering they are moist and warm and done correctly.

Well around 5 or so days should just be long enough I think?? Give em a week, have a look at the seed and see if theyve cracked open yet?

They haven't cracked. I started them in jiffy pellets where they were for a week where nothing was happening so I pulled them out very delicately and place them in tissue paper, which is my usuall method. So 7 days in jiffys and now 2 days in tissue paper. It's not looking good. Will check them again when I get home. Temps are between 25-28 Celsius. Covered with a bowl and placed in plastic bag.

You may find the fresher the seed, the faster it will crack open. I've bought expensive seeds that never did open up even after 2 weeks. If you are buying seeds from a 420 sponsor and they don't crack, let them know. Sometimes they will make it right with you. I just put 2 auto flower seeds in paper towels and they cracked the next day. The peroxide guy probably didn't have the seeds in there long enough to hurt them. Peroxide would probably kill microbes on the seeds but its not really something you need to do. These things are weeds. Crackem, growem n smokem...good luck.

Thanks HeartWW, the guy that put his in peroxide, just soaked them for like 5 minutes or so. And it was diluted at that. I suppose your right, don't over think things...and to quote the Beatles, " Let it Be." ~ Happy grows my friend...:Namaste:

Thanks HWW it's been 5 days now in the tissue paper. None have cracked. Ill give them two weeks and then contact the seed bank. Not a sponsor here I don't think, I'm not sure if I'm allowed to mention there name or not but I will be pissed if I don't get one out of ten seeds popped soon.

Thanks HWW it's been 5 days now in the tissue paper. None have cracked. Ill give them two weeks and then contact the seed bank. Not a sponsor here I don't think, I'm not sure if I'm allowed to mention there name or not but I will be pissed if I don't get one out of ten seeds popped soon.

next time order from Herbies...stray from sponsers=taking a chance'''

i just use my local planteries premium mix they do on site...i drop my seeds in the soil to germ...i wet the soil good enough to keep the seed moist while its germinating..iv found if your seed dosent break soil within 56 to 72 hours they wont split it at all...though i have seen a few pop up after about 5 days. iv never used peroxide for anything and i cant say iv been told anything about it from anyone.i wouldnt mess with it but thats me... anyway good luck:)

I am putting a ...Jack Herer , Super Cheese Auto, Jack Diesel and a Church seeds to water today... I am going to monitor them closely and as soon as they sink, hopefully... I am going to transfer them to Solo cups with FF Ocean Forest soil...and hopefully they all pop.
...then starting my first grow journal ...very pumped and excited. Because of the brotherhood and sisterhood here @ 420...I never feel like I am left out all alone... that really makes one feel good..:high-five:

:Namaste:

I just flashed them in a weak solution of hydro and water to kill any problems that might occur. But I put them on paper towels in my cabinet , with dampness. Then go to soil...I just never had any luck germinating in soil to start out with..

Hey Smoke :peace: when your seeds first pop open when germinating... when do you place them in your soil? when they fist crack a little or wait for the tap root to get going a little bit?... Thanks Mate...

i use to use p towels..had stupid roots growing into towel..you gotto unfold to check seed..moisture has to be right..i cut the towel around the seedling and planted..i never had tails to intangle in a glass of water..put seeds in glass and forget about it..i've planted seeds with inch long tails.also planted when seed split..everybody got their own way..you have to find yours..i suggest put one in a towel and at the same time put one in a glass of water..you grow long enough you'll find what works for one doesn't mean it will work for u...:goodluck:..and stay focus..

I get my seed order. One of those mix packs...and they give me two seeds for free as a bonus, from a different seed company altogether.
My ordered seeds germinate and are in soil. My two freebies ...well, one was tiny and white and just wanted to float, the other sank to the bottom of the cup and swelled up, but didn't break... I put some B1 in a cup with some rooting powder, and letting them soak again with that method...probably won't nothing happen. But nothing ventured is nothing gained... I'll let you know tomorrow if there is life after death for these seeds.

Back
Top Bottom